Niagara Transit Commission is an equal opportunity employer committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment, selection processes and work environments. We will accommodate the needs of applicants under the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) throughout all stages of the hiring process. Please advise the Commission to ensure
your accessibility needs will be accommodated throughout the process.
Niagara Transit Commission is hiring:
310T Mechanic – FULLY CERTIFIED Position
Department : Fleet and Facilities
Status – Type of Vacancy: Full-Time
Property: Niagara Falls
Wage/ Rate of Pay: $36.08 – 36.97
Date Posted: Monday, August 14, 2023
We thank all candidates for their interest, however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Thank you for your interest,
Niagara Transit Commission
310T Mechanic – FULLY CERTIFIED
Perform all aspects of vehicle and equipment maintenance and repair pertaining to the Transit Commission fleet. Undertake diagnosis, preventative maintenance, repairs, safety inspections, and other related maintenance duties. Input information into fleet systems and databases with accuracy. Must stay current with new/changing technologies, equipment and materials to perform Transit Commission fleet repairs. May be required to operate vehicles up to 11,000 kg. Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) and forklift according to the Highway Traffic Act, Public Commercial Vehicle Act (PCVA), and Transit guidelines.
- Completion of Grade 12 plus trade schooling as required under the regulated trades as an Ontario College of Trades Qualification as a Truck and Coach Technician (310T).
- Ontario College of Trades Qualification as an Automotive Service Technician (310S) may be considered an asset.
- Certification in Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and First Aid is an asset.
- Must complete WHMIS training.
- Must be willing to complete other training and/or certification such as Hoisting and Rigging.
- Minimum of 4 years including 8000 hours as specified under the Ontario College of Trades and Apprenticeship Act.
- Minimum 5 years working experience as a journeyman n a large fleet maintenance role.
- Considerable working knowledge of the standard methods, tooling equipment and safety practices as they relate to heavy equipment and automobile repair industry.
- Must have a good working/mechanical knowledge of all equipment as it relates to municipal fleets and be able to drive/operate equipment in a safe manner.
- Must possess working knowledge of the Highway Traffic Act and Regulations.
- Must possess a good knowledge of Fleet Maintenance operations.
- Must be customer focused.
- Must possess an excellent knowledge of municipal fleet maintenance operations and computerized fleet management systems.
- Proven written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong computer skills and knowledge of computerized fleet systems.
- May be subject to on-the-job training and evaluation to maintain high level of skill and ability
- Certification in First Aid and Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) is an asset.
Responsibilities: Responsibility 1….. Vehicle Repair
- Perform all aspects of motor vehicle and equipment repair relating to the municipal fleet comprised of vans, buses, and other Transit Commission equipment.
- Generates work orders for all work performed.
- Performing assigned work and providing direction to fleet personnel assigned to the station of employment through verbal, written instructions or computerized work order;
- Keeping the Supervisor advised of work schedule and any problems;
- Scheduling vehicle and equipment repair and maintenance;
- Issuing, generating and completing work orders and keeping accurate logs of repairs, maintenance and other related matters;
- Ensuring parts and supplies are available to perform repairs;
- Performing stockroom inventory control at locations where no fleet materials personnel is assigned; and
- Ensuring a safe and secure workplace environment.
Responsibility 2…… Perform diagnosis duties such as:
- Reviewing information pertaining to complaints on vehicle and equipment defects and performance from:
- Computerized work order;
- Discussion with immediate Lead Hand and/or Supervisor;
- Discussion with driver/operator; and
- Personal observation.
Determining the type, extent and location of problem through:
- Visual and audio inspection;
- Operating and road testing;
- Use of repair and troubleshooting manuals and websites;
- Use of diagnostic scanners, electronic scopes, meters, etc.; and
- Consultation with other fleet personnel, dealers, and outside service personnel.
Responsibility 3….. Perform preventative maintenance (PM) duties such as:
- Perform all aspects of vehicle repair required as a result of accident, corrosion, or other wear, for a Transit Commission fleet comprised of vehicles.
- Generates work orders for all work performed.
- Planning work sequence and requesting parts, assistance or outside services as required;
- Adjusting valve lash and inspecting fuel injectors of diesel engines;
- Lubricating chassis, changing oil and filters, checking and refilling other fluids; performing a winterizing check of cooling system for defects, checking and recording freeze/boil limits for coolant, refilling or changing coolant as necessary;
- Inspecting braking system for pad, rotor, shoe and drum wear, estimating remaining use and reporting any defects for corrective action; and
- Completing multi-point inspections.
Responsibility 4….. Perform repairs and repair-related duties such as:
- Planning work sequence, requesting parts, and providing assistance or outside services as required;
- Disassembling and reassembling vehicles and equipment as required to repair components;
- Cleaning and examining parts for wear; and
- Adjusting, rebuilding old parts, or replacing old parts with new parts as required to bring equipment within manufacturer or other operating and performance specifications.
Responsibility 5….. Perform duties related to safety inspections such as:
- Conducting safety inspections for commercial vehicles in accordance with the Ontario Highway Traffic Act and its regulations;
- Inspecting and ensuring that vehicles are properly equipped and that specific components such as body, lights, tires, steering, brakes, wheelchair restraints, etc. are functioning and within allowable tolerance for wear;
- Recording findings on safety inspection sheet;
- Reporting defects so corrective action can be taken;
- Re-inspecting vehicles after any necessary repairs have been made;
- Signing inspection certificate for commercial vehicles and verifying that the vehicle meets the safety regulations of the Ontario Highway Traffic Act and its regulations; and
- Inspecting all vehicles and equipment to ensure they meet the safety requirements of Federal and Provincial regulations, Transit Commission policies and procedures, and manufacturer standards, and reporting defects so that corrective action may be taken.
Responsibility 6….. Ensure that all works completed, parts and equipment used and time is accurately entered into the Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS):
- Creates work orders; assigning parts, labour, outside services, etc. to work orders.
Responsibility 7….. Ensure that all work completed, parts and equipment used and time are accurately entered into the computerized Fleet maintenance work order system:
- Enters time sheet and payroll information; and
- Enters work orders assigning parts, labour, outside services, etc. to work orders.
Responsibility 8….. Perform other duties such as (but not limited to):
- Performing stockroom inventory control at locations where no fleet materials personnel is assigned;
- Preparing new vehicles and equipment for use. This may involve modifying and installing various components and materials;
- Picking up and delivering parts, supplies, vehicles and equipment;
- Welding and cutting for repairs;
- Occasionally instructing others on the operation of vehicles and equipment;
- Maintaining work area in a clean and orderly manner;
- Operating power wash equipment; and
- Maintaining related paper work such as pre trip inspections, safety inspection sheets, etc.
Responsibility 9….. Performs other duties as assigned.
- Must supply own mechanic and body work tools.
- Possession and maintenance of a valid and unrestricted DZ license is preferred.
- In accordance with the Corporate Criminal Record Check Policy, the position requires the incumbent to undergo a Criminal Records Check and submit a Canadian Police Clearance Certificate.
- Clear Drivers Abstract
- Must be willing to complete other training and/or certification as required (e.g. Hoisting and Rigging, Air Brake Adjustment, etc.)
- Must complete WHMIS training.
- Subject to standby (on-call) duty as assigned
Responsible for the compliance with the following legislation, including but not limited to:
- Highway Traffic Act
- Occupational Health and Safety Act
- Workplace Safety and Insurance Act
- Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act
JOB SPECIFICATIONS Independence of Action / Judgment
- Works independently and as part of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Works under the general supervision of Supervisor and/or direction of the Lead Hand as assigned, who provide work directions and instructions.
- Work is performed according to established policies, procedures, and guidelines.
- Work is of a routine nature.
- Some latitude exists in modifying or changing established procedures and guidelines.
- Requires good judgment in estimating the extent and feasibility of repairs required and carrying out the work.
Decisions on which you seek consultation
- Repairs estimated to exceed value of asset.
- The purchase of expensive materials and parts required to maintain the equipment.
- Where work is of a complicated nature and/or goes beyond the established procedures.
- Request for purchase of materials and/or parts required to maintain the equipment.
- Performing major repairs and modifications to vehicles and equipment.
- When a repair is expected to exceed the estimated time to complete. .
- Prioritization of work.
- May provide guidance and advice to students, new employees and other assistants.
- Communicates daily with other employees in the same section and occasionally with other employees in the same department. Occasionally communicates with employees in Regional departments.
- Communication generally involves the explanation and exchange of information but may involve clarification.
- Communicates with vendors and suppliers regarding repair procedures, services and products on a daily/weekly basis.
- Communication involves the explanation and exchange of information.
- Requires heavy lifting over 34 kg. (75 lbs.), when working with vehicle components, etc. which may require mechanical or the assistance of others.
- Requires accurate coordination of coarse movements when hammering, grinding or using high impact power tools etc.
- Requires accurate coordination of fine movements when welding, painting, operating hand/power tools, adjusting smaller tools, installing small parts and keyboarding.
- Involves walking, laying on concrete floor, use of vibrating tools, bending, crouching, stooping, kneeling, and working in awkward positions.
- Mental/visual concentration required frequently when performing maintenance and repair work, while working with computer applications and checking data.
- Requires a higher degree of concentration when estimating/inspecting/evaluating, and performing diagnostics.
- May experience extended periods of concentration.
- Work is performed mostly indoors but may require occasional equipment repairs in the field.
- Frequently exposed to grease, dust, dirt, oil, grime, noise, odour, fumes, chemicals and cleaning substances and toxic and hazardous substances.
- Occasional exposure to extreme temperatures and inclement weather when working outdoors.
- Will be required to travel to other Transit locations
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $36.08-$36.97 per hour
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Vision care
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Evening shift
- Morning shift
- Night shift
- Weekends as needed
Work Location: In person