We are growing our Cable Team and are looking for Field Cable Technicians for network upgrades and maintenance. We are looking for experienced and new candidates eager to be part of a winning team.
Primary work locations are in the Oakville, Burlington, Milton, Hamilton areas.
- Duties and Responsibilities:
- Working on all components of HFC Cable Access Network (Coax and fiber).
- Installing equipment (actives, passives, cables, connectors, support structures, power supplies, etc.).
- Setting up actives (nodes, trunks, line extenders) to proper specs (RF and power) and aligning/sweeping network.
- Installation and maintenance of power supplies (modules, batteries, monitoring tools, modems, etc.).
- Splicing and tracing fibers for new builds and troubleshooting/repairing fiber issues.
- Working on aerial, buried plant, as well as in apartment buildings and confined spaces.
- Repair/install pedestal equipment cabinets.
- Repair or troubleshoot faulty cables, equipment, and power supplies.
- Utilize appropriate tools that verify network is working properly.
- Adhere to company and industry safety requirements.
- Setting up and maintaining a safe working environment.
- Maintaining equipment and stock items in a clean, controlled, and safe manner.
- Understanding of cable networks and be able to read and follow network drawings.
- Basic knowledge of electronics and electrical power.
- Intuition for component assembly and good craftsmanship skills (i.e. Configuring and mounting components, mechanically inclined).
- Using cable signal level meter, VOM, TDR, cable locator, signal leakage, OTDR, Optical power meters, fusion splicing equipment, network monitoring tools, etc.
- Able to core coax cable and install connectors.
- Able to splice fiber cables and trace fiber routes.
- Willingness to learn and try new things.
- Professional and considerate disposition that portrays our company and customers with high regard.
- Problem solver with ability to think problems through and utilize good judgement skills. Think outside the box.
- Able to use computers and Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, etc.).
- Able to work on ladders, working at heights, working in confined spaces, working in apartment buildings, etc.
- Valid Driver’s Licence (Class G) and Clean Drivers Abstract.
- Experience with towing trailers.
- Bucket truck and elevated platform experience would be an asset.
- Able to lift and manage equipment up to 75 lbs.
- Able to dig pits with hand tools (shovel, picks, rakes, etc.). Basic landscaping skills.
- Fluent in English (written and spoken).
- Able to work in all weather conditions.
- Able to work safely in public settings.
- Able to work in proximity to moving vehicles and need to manage traffic flow from time to time (i.e. lane closures).
- Able to climb, crouch, kneel. Be physically fit to do the job.
- Willingness to travel, including overnight stays for out of town work.
- Able to work overtime and committing to the extra effort required from time to time to meet our customer’s delivery requirements.
- Must have own basic tools. Company will provide industry specific tools.
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma.
- Post secondary education or trades school training in electronics, computers, mechanics, or equivalent would be a great asset.
- Past CATV courses and training would be an asset.
- Commensurate with experience.
- Health and Dental Plan
- RRSP Plan
- Safety Boot Allowance
- Flexible shifts to meet customer needs.
- 40 hours per week.
- Potentially standby and weekend work as required.
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
Salary: $22.00-$35.00 per hour
Flexible Language Requirement:
- Monday to Friday
- Night shift
Work Location: On the road