With over 15 years in the civil construction industry on Vancouver Island, Milestone Equipment Contracting Inc’s (Milestone) success is based on building strong relationships while driving our mission, vision, and values. This approach starts with our team, our greatest asset, supporting and investing in our people and their personal and professional success is our priority. We are committed to creating a strong and positive work culture offering career advancement, a safe working environment and opportunities to give back to the communities where we work and live.
Milestone Equipment Contracting Inc is excited to offer an opportunity for a Traffic Controller to join our experienced & professional team!
We are a growing company and expanding our team at both office locations in Nanaimo and Victoria. Please visit www.milestonecontracting/careers for all current postings.
The role of a Traffic Control Professional (TCP) is to help control and implement safety procedures for vehicle and pedestrian traffic. A TCP stops, slows, and safely directs traffic through the construction site. The TCP role is important as they are a key factor in the protection of workers as traffic flows through the site. TCP gives directions and signals clearly and precisely so that motorists understand the meaning. The TCP keeps the flow of traffic moving with as little delays as possible. This role is responsible for the assembly and take down of traffic control equipment such as signs and barricades. TCPs are also a representation of the company as they deal face to face with the public on a regular basis. TCP work in all different types of weather including rain and snow.
Benefits of Employment - Why work at Milestone?
- Merit based company offering progression opportunities & support
- Competitive compensation and opportunity for overtime
- Comprehensive benefits plan which includes extended health, dental, vision care, disability, life insurance and RRSP matching
- Great team of capable leaders open and willing to provide mentorship & coaching to those looking to learn and grow
- A team of great people willing and ready to support others through family orientated values.
- Safety is our top priority. Think safe, work safe, home safe.
- Pride ourselves in integrating and leveraging technology, working smarter not harder.
- Located on beautiful Vancouver Island, work and live at home!
Milestone is known as a dependable, transparent, and accountable contractor in the industry. Milestone’s team is comprised of professional, experienced, and educated individuals that form project teams to ensure our clients’ projects are treated with the same level of respect, attention, professionalism, and care that our organization is founded upon.
Duties & Responsibilities - What is my role?
- Control and direct vehicle and pedestrian traffic through the construction zone
- Constantly communicate with other TCP and site personnel
- Assembly and personal ownership of traffic control equipment and adjust work zones as work progresses
- Work “alone”; the TCP is part of the construction work crew but will work away from the general group when directing traffic
- Actively monitor the construction site and pedestrian and vehicle traffic to ensure safety of the crew and the public
- Help promote and work within a culture of jobsite safety, where safety is everyone’s 1st priority
- Attend and participate in regular onsite safety meetings
- Check with the supervisor before the shift starts to find out about the activities
for that day
- Check location of first aid stations and identify workers with first aid certification
- Identify and locate equipment working on the site
- Control traffic from highly visible and safe positions
- Respond to emergency situations and hazards
Skills & Qualifications include:
- Valid Driver’s License
- Valid TCP Certification
- Prior TCP experience in a Construction setting is considered an asset
- Communication skills
- Ability to work individually and in a team
- Ability work outside in always changing and sometimes inclement weather
- Ability to stand on feet for long periods of time
- Punctual and reliable
- Ability to interact with members of the public in a professional and respectful way
Working conditions & Physical requirements:
- TCP spend all their time on the project site working outside. This requires adequate physical condition, ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Ability to walk and maintain site and TCP equipment. TCP can expect to work 50 hours a week regularly.