Ontario One Call acts as the communications link between buried infrastructure owners (our members) and individuals who are planning to dig in the province of Ontario. In 2012, the Ontario Underground Infrastructure Notification System Act was passed, which stipulates that by law, anyone in the province of Ontario must contact Ontario One Call before they dig. In addition to our contact centre, we are also responsible for public education, industry outreach, and compliance.
As a Public Safety Authority, Ontario One Call is focused on guiding construction, infrastructure and excavation industries towards creating efficiencies and improvements across the province. Ontario One Call is a not-for-profit governed by a Board of Directors representative of the underground infrastructure and excavation industries.
At Ontario One Call we are Reliable Experts who Care.
Reliable…We are dependable and accessible
Experts…We have the mindset to lead innovation
Caring…We ensure the safety and well-being in our communities.
Do you have what it takes to join our team?
Ontario One Call is currently hiring multiple Customer Support Specialists to assist with processing excavation requests received year-round. These highly motivated individuals are dependable, team-orientated and possess strong communication skills. They understand the natural fluctuations in work volume, and are capable of rising to the challenge of our particularly busy “dig season” while utilizing quieter moments to complete training and level up their skills.
Candidates have proficient technological skills in regards to telecommunication software, mapping software, email and strong keyboarding skills. Ontario One Call is looking for those who hold the same passion for damage prevention and public safety as we do.
This role reports to a Team Lead and is based out of our Guelph, Ontario office with the opportunity to work a hybrid model of splitting their time between work and the office as per company policy. If successful, all new hires will be required to attend mandatory, paid, full-time training, in office, for the first three weeks. Training runs between the hours of 8:30am and 4:30pm.
We are hiring to fill a night shift position. The shift can start as early as 9 PM and may go as late as 8 AM. The shift is 4 days per week, typically 10 hours per night.
The hours are approximately 40 hours per week.
Receive inbound calls from excavators and homeowners who plan to disturb the ground, asking pertinent and scripted questions
- Input and process locate requests into a proprietary application
- Make changes to or cancel locate requests as directed by callers, ensuring to get all pertinent information when doing so
- Review and process locate requests submitted through Ontario One Call’s electronic ticket application
- Handle emergency calls in a timely and efficient manner
Make outbound phone calls to obtain clarification on digging requests
- Answer locate related questions
- Escalate calls when appropriate
- Review additional training material as may be required, staying well informed about changes to processes and the organization
- Handle all interactions in a professional manner
- Must be able to speak, read and write fluently in English. Fluency in French is an asset
- Technically savvy, able to work multiple open software applications. Strong computer and keyboarding skills
- Intermediate skill with MS Office Suite
- Prior use of scheduling software to read individual scheduled shifts/breaks/time off
- Use of virtual ‘soft’ phones an asset
- Familiarity with online maps, such as google maps is a strong asset
- Work schedule flexibility is key. Outstanding attendance and punctuality is required
- Ability to read and interpret directions and instructions by phone or computer
- Effectively communicate with various communication styles
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to follow and understand protocol
- Skilled at multi-tasking and handling large workloads in a fast-paced environment
- Candidates who advance to secondary interviews will be asked to complete basic computer testing that closely replicates typical day-to-day tasks a Customer Support Specialist would perform
Using their home set up, candidates wishing to apply should be able to meet the following technical requirements:
- High speed internet connection delivered via Fibre, Cable or DSL
- Computer that meets the following specifications:
- Windows 10 (all updates applied)
- Minimum Intel i3
- Minimum 4GB RAM
- Minimum 512 MB disk space free
- Computer connected to internet via Ethernet cable (WIFI connections are NOT supported)
- Antivirus software (installed and up to date)
- Ability to install Cisco Anyconnect VPN and Microsoft Teams
Candidates must complete and attach a pdf screenshot of a speed test when applying:
Go to: https://ontarioonecall.speedtestcustom.com/
- Use password ‘on1call’ to perform a speed test on our custom server
- Take a screenshot of the results screen and save it as a pdf file
- Attach the file of the screenshot to your application
- High school diploma (or equivalent) and minimum 1 year completion of post secondary education
- 2+ years of customer service experience with the general public
- Industry experience in a call centre or administration are an asset
- Starting salary $41,236.00/annum
- 10 paid personal emergency leave days
- 3 weeks’ paid vacation/year
- Extensive health, dental and life insurance benefits
- Highly engaged workforce and excellent workplace culture
- Diverse and inclusive environment
- Extensive 3 weeks of paid training
- Consistent coaching sessions providing supportive environment
As a precondition to employment, all potential new employees will be required to provide satisfactory employment references, successfully complete a criminal background check prior to or any time following hire. Request for accommodation may be made, based on a medical need. The request for accommodation must be made during the initial application process.
Ontario One Call is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with the Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, accommodations for job applicants with disabilities are available on request.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.