Position: Fresh Produce Manager
Reporting to: Grocery Manager
This position requires relocation to Iqaluit, NU. Expenses WILL be covered.
Reporting to the Grocery Manager, the Produce Manager will manage all aspects of the produce section of the Fresh Department. Key accountabilities include maintaining pricing, stocking and rotation of merchandise, supervision, training and development of local staff, achieving specific financial performance targets of the department, and providing excellent customer service. A principal objective is to ensure that all the local staff are thoroughly trained in their areas of responsibility.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- To assist Grocery Manager in all aspects of the management and control of the Produce Department.
- To work closely with Grocery Manager and the management team in sharing information and expertise so that the management team understands all aspects of the business.
- To manage on a day-to-day basis the Produce Department by:
> Maintaining a high standard of inventory quality. This includes ensuring first-in, first-out rotation is followed at all times, and closely monitory product dates.
> Ensuring shelves, coolers, and displays are stocked, neat and clean;
> Following established procedures for trimming and preparation, washing and culling.
> Ensuring product is rotated according to store and product standards;
> Packaging fresh goods including fruit platters, veggie platters etc.
> Ensuring dated product is handled according to store policy and product standards;
> Utilizing CASM to establish and maintain store layout and Quasar to look up, order and record inventory;
> Completing inventory counts as per schedule and plan an organized system for receiving of stock;
> Conducting competitive price checks on a regular basis and review flyers for promotional and seasonal items;
> Assisting Price File Maintenance Clerk in determining accurate pricing of merchandise and use of proper price labeling.
> Overseeing the claims and product recall process;
> Adhering to all guidelines and procedures outlined in department and health and safety manuals and as set out by the General Manager.
> Providing top quality customer service by ensuring customers receive a positive, pleasant shopping/service experience;
> Ensuring the department operates in a safe, professional manner at all times and that all regulations and legislated standards are adhered to;
- To prepare reports requested by the Grocery Manager and/or General Manager.
- To schedule and supervise staff to ensure proper service is provided and financial targets are achieved.
- To assist in all human resource matters concerning hiring, training, appraising, promoting, demoting or dismissal of employees.
- As part of the management team, this position has irregular hours of work. Work scheduled will be based on the needs and requirements of the customers and the unique nature of the operation’s business environment.
- To assume the duties of the Grocery Manager when so assigned.
- To support other areas of the Iqaluit operation as required.
- To perform other duties as required for the proper management of the organization.
- Three to five years retail management experience in fresh operations.
- Knowledge and experience in a computerized environment, including the operation and administration of Point of Sale (POS) computer systems.
- Proficient in office software packages including word processing, spreadsheets, etc.
- Strong financial management skills including the ability to review and analyze financial statements.
- Ability to manage inventory levels, order stock and price products to achieve gross margin targets;
- Excellent people management skills including the ability to recruit, hire, train, motivate, evaluate, correct, develop, and increase staff performance in a cross-cultural environment.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- The ability to speak and write Inuktitut would be considered a definite asset.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Housing allowance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Relocation assistance
- Vision care
- Produce: 1 year (Preferred)
Work Location: In person