About Eastern College:
Eastern College and its subsidiaries are committed to building an intentionally inclusive environment that engages, supports, and empowers diversity and belonging in the workplace and communities served and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We welcome applications from candidates regardless of race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, or veteran status.
Eastern College Inc. is a leader in the Private Career College industry in Atlantic Canada. Established in 1983 we have delivered training in a modular approach to students to enable them to fast-track to job readiness.
We are committed to building an intentionally inclusive environment that engages, supports, and empowers diversity and belonging in the workplace and communities we serve. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and welcome applications from candidates regardless of race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or age.
The primary purpose of the Financial Aid Manager is to oversee and manage financial aid programs and processes for triOS and Eastern Colleges. Their primary purpose is to ensure that students receive the necessary financial support to pursue their education.
The Financial Aid Manager will provide advice and guidance on financial aid matters across the organization, deliver financial aid training, and work with the Operations and Admissions teams on specific projects. The Financial Aid Manager will also regularly visit facilities and off-site markets to observe, provide mentorship, and assess the level of financial aid culture.
What you'll be doing:
- Financial Aid Program Management: Develop, implement, and manage financial aid programs and policies in accordance with federal, provincial, and institutional regulations and guidelines. Stay updated on changes in financial aid regulations and adjust programs accordingly.
- Student Advising: Provide comprehensive financial aid guidance and training to FAOs to ensure they are able to assist students and their families. Assist them in understanding the financial aid process, eligibility criteria, and available funding options. Help students navigate through applications, forms, and required documentation.
- Financial Aid Application Processing: Oversee the processing and evaluation of financial aid applications, including verification of data accuracy, determination of eligibility, and awarding of aid packages. Ensure timely and accurate disbursement of funds.
- Compliance and Reporting: Maintain compliance with all relevant federal, provincial, and institutional regulations and reporting requirements. Prepare and submit required reports, documentation, and audits as necessary.
- Financial Aid Outreach and Education: Organize and conduct financial aid workshops, information sessions, and presentations to educate students, parents, and staff about available financial aid programs, processes, and opportunities. Collaborate with other departments to provide financial literacy resources.
- Scholarship and Grant Administration: Coordinate the administration of scholarships, grants, and other forms of financial assistance. Establish selection criteria, manage application processes, and facilitate the awarding and tracking of funds.
- Financial Aid Technology and Systems: Utilize and maintain financial aid software systems to manage student records, process applications, and track disbursements. Stay updated on technology advancements and recommend system improvements for efficiency and accuracy.
- Staff Supervision: Hire, train, and supervise financial aid staff members. Assign duties, provide guidance and support, and conduct performance evaluations to ensure effective operations and excellent customer service.
- Collaboration and Communication: Collaborate with various team members, including Education Consultants, Campus Directors, Director of Financial Aid, and any other departments, to ensure seamless integration of financial aid processes. Maintain effective communication channels with students, parents, and external agencies.
- Budgeting and Financial Management: Assist in the development and management of the financial aid budget. Monitor expenditures, forecast funding needs, and recommend strategies to optimize financial resources.
- Coaching & Development: Provide coaching and development for FAOs on a regular and consistent basis for goal setting and performance management.
- Other duties as assigned, and which are in the best interests of the College.
What you bring to the position:
- In-depth knowledge of federal and provincial financial aid regulations, programs, and policies.
- Strong understanding of financial aid application processes, including needs analysis and verification procedures.
- Familiarity with financial aid software systems and technology solutions.
- Advanced working knowledge of MS Office, primarily focused on Word, Excel, PowerPoint. Teams, and Outlook.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with the ability to interact effectively with diverse populations.
- Attention to detail, accuracy, and the ability to handle sensitive and confidential information.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills to evaluate complex financial situations and make informed decisions.
- Strong organizational and time management abilities to handle multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Experience with XCAS and GP (or comparable software) preferred.
- Knowledge of financial aid programs for all provinces, lending institutions, and financial options available.
- Working knowledge of New Brunswick’s, Nova Scotia’s, and Ontario's Ministry of Colleges & Universities (or equivalent) policies and procedures.
- A diploma or degree in Finance, Business Administration, or Education, or relevant field, or combination of education and experience.
- 3 years demonstrated experience as a Financial Aid Officer or similar position.
- 3 years demonstrated experience providing customer service over the phone (or use of other virtual presentation technologies), presentations over the phone, providing virtual PowerPoint presentations is required.
- A background in sales would be an asset.
- Experience in Ontario, Nova Scotia, and New Brunswick is considered an asset.
- Experience in a college or university setting is considered an asset.
- A reliable vehicle, valid provincial driver’s license, and credit card.
- Ability to travel within New Brunswick and Halifax required.
- A designated home office with a strong internet connection is required.
Hours of work:
This is a full-time permanent opportunity. Monday to Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.
This remote position is based out of New Brunswick or Halifax. Travel within New Brunswick and Halifax required.
The start date for the position is November 1, 2023.
Applicants with disabilities may notify us of any reasonable accommodations needed to support your participation in the recruitment process.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.