The Winnipeg Airports Authority (WAA) is a community-based, non-share capital corporation that operates, manages, maintains, and invests in the Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport and affiliate businesses. Operating on a multi-site property, the WAA is responsible for airport operations, security, facilities, parking, ground transportation and communications.
With an ever-expanding airport campus, WAA is a critical player in the development of one of Canada’s strategic transportation hubs. As a perennial “Top Manitoba Employer”, the WAA prides itself as an organization that attracts engaged employees with the right skills, in the right place, and at the right time. http://www.waa.ca
Manager, Airport Operations
Director, Terminal Operations
Permanent, Full Time
October 11, 2023
The Manager, Airport Operations is responsible for managing the overall operational integrity of the airport, all airport processes and associated systems, all WAA personnel on shift, as well as overseeing various contracts associated with baggage handling, airport operations, customer service and security. This role acts as the senior management representative on site 24/7 and is responsible for building and maintaining relationships with relevant WAA stakeholders and has discretionary decision-making authority regarding matters of operational importance to WAA. As part of the WAA leadership team this individual participates in the overall management and strategic planning processes of WAA.
Selection Criteria include:
- Overall responsibility for day-to-day operations, including supervision of WAA staff & contracted service providers that contribute to airport operations, including, but not limited to: Custodial Services, Customer Care & Security Services, Parking Services, People Moving Devices, & Airport Operations Support Services;
- Has autonomy, discretion, and decision-making authority in the conduct of WAA's business related to Airport Operations.
- Direct and manage day-to-day maintenance of facilities, maintaining passenger facing service level standards and arrangements for urgent and emergency repairs or service by internal or external sources;
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with key decision makers in client organizations to foster good working relationships and an understanding of airport issues;
- Provide guidance and leadership to staff, consultants and others in WAA on matters relating to operations;
- Monitor the performance of airlines, tenants, concessionaires and other to ensure adherence to WAA policies and programs;
- Direct and manage emergency situations and irregular operations, activate and manage the Emergency Operations Centre as required. Serve as internal communications hub for all disruptions to business in emergent circumstances;
- Develop business strategies and plans to drive improvements to operational efficiency and customer satisfaction;
- Is responsible for setting performance expectations, objectives, goals, and timelines for performance compliance. Is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the department;
- Host regular and ad hoc briefings with stakeholders as required;
- Provide detailed Management reports of activities to senior leadership;
- Fiscal and budget responsibility, managing licenses and contracts; and
- Enforce and otherwise ensure compliance with applicable regulations, including Canadian Aviation Regulations, Aerodrome Security Measures, etc.
- University degree and/or college diploma in aviation management and/or equivalent years of experience;
- Commitment to service excellence to our internal/external customers producing timely quality results;
- Interpersonal skills and the ability to collaborate with cross-function business partners to achieve results;
- Confident speaker with excellent written communications;
- Experience managing staff and large teams effectively achieving departmental and organizational goals;
- Resourcefulness, organized and process driven with the ability to manage multiple initiatives with strong prioritization skills maneuvering through complex policy/process and people dynamics;
- Budgeting and cost management skills and experience;
- Thorough knowledge of airport operations;
- Ability to work 24/7/365 rotational shifts;
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a D AVOP;
- Must hold a valid drivers license
- Preference given to bilingual candidate (French preferred) and;
- Aviation industry experience would be an asset.
Work with us!
- Highly competitive salary;
- Full Benefits package of Health, Dental & Vision;
- DC Pension Plan;
- Healthcare Spending Account to use on additional benefit expenses;
- Lifestyle Spending Account to use on Wellness expenses such as health and fitness;
- Employee Assistance Program;
- Supported Training & Development opportunities;
- Opportunity to work with a high functioning team of professionals working on a diversified portfolio;
- Awarded Canada’s Top Employer of 2012; and
- Awarded Manitoba’s Top Employers 12 consecutive years.
Condition of employment is the ability to obtain and maintain an Airport Restricted Area Identification Card.