Modern Niagara helps building owners, managers, and general contractors meet the mechanical, electrical, integrated building technology, and building services needs of their buildings across Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, Southwestern Ontario, and Ottawa. We also develop custom, turnkey solutions to help reach the desired outcomes. We are committed to having a positive and meaningful impact on Canada’s infrastructure and on the communities where we live, learn, work, and heal.
WE BUILD FOR LIFE.
We value passion, initiative, determination, professionalism, and teamwork and we are committed to ensuring that our teams have everything they need to succeed. Health and safety are embedded in everything we do and, as a result, our award-winning safety culture has a record that’s well above industry standards.
At Modern Niagara, you will work alongside values-driven, safety-conscious, and high-impact teams in a fast-paced, innovative, and collaborative environment. Here, your knowledge, skills, and excellent service will help ensure that the buildings that make up Canada’s infrastructure fulfill the needs they were set out to meet.
Modern Niagara is one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies and is a recipient of SMACNA‘s Safety Excellence Award Program (SSEAP) – Canada and the Canadian Occupational Safety (COS) Magazine’s Gold Winner for Canada’s Safest Employers Award in the Building and Construction category and Excellence Winner for Canada’s Best Health + Safety Culture Award as well as Canada’s Best Health + Safety Leader Award.
Our Ottawa based team is looking for an experienced Mechanical Estimator to provide estimates for mechanical (and electrical construction projects), service repairs, maintenance proposals, and unit replacements. You'll have the occasional opportunity to assess job sites throughout the greater Ottawa region in order to assess site conditions and collect field measurements, otherwise, you'll collaborate with the team in our Kanata Office.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Review proposal specifications and complete quantity take-offs for labour, equipment, and materials to ensure accurate pricing (Sheet Metal, Plumbing, Electrical, HVAC)
- Design, estimate, and create accurate proposals for individual projects
- Identify innovative solutions to solve clients problems ultimately resulting in improvements or cost-saving incentives
- Meet with customers & clients to better understand their needs and requirements
- Meet with Modern Niagara suppliers to foster relationships and negotiate pricing
- Provide technical support to Modern Niagara’s Project Managers, Project Coordinators, and Business Development teams
- Generate project plans, communication plans, and facilitate project hand-off meetings for all relevant project stakeholders once the project has been awarded
- Liaise with Project Managers/Project Coordinators and ensuring all relevant information is shared and understood
- Have a strong understanding of HVAC.
- Review bidding sites for opportunities.
- Manage Building Services estimating team.
- Perform additional duties under the direction of the hiring manager
Qualifications and Job Requirements:
- 5+ years of Mechanical (or Electrical) estimation experience; including but not limited to HVAC, plumbing, sheet metal, access control and communications, electrical distribution and energy monitoring, Fire alarm systems, etc.
- Post-secondary education or a related combination of education and experience
- A Red Seal certificate would be considered a strong asset
- Experience with estimating software (ex. Trimble or AccuBid) would be considered an asset
- Ability to generate accurate proposals under pressure and within client requirements
Live the Modern Niagara Core Values - Teamwork, Initiative, Dedication, Professionalism, Passion.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
At Modern Niagara, we recognize the value of fostering a diverse, equitable, and inclusive organization and are committed to eliminating barriers faced by members of equity-seeking groups (women, Indigenous, Black, racialized, LGTBQ2S+, people with disabilities, and new immigrants) in the construction industry. Our DEI vision is to build an organization where everyone has access to the same opportunities, experience equitable outcomes, and can thrive and reach their full potential.
We value the diversity of the people we hire and serve. Modern Niagara is an equal opportunity employer. If you require accommodation during the recruitment process, please advise us so that suitable accommodations can be made. We can be reached at [email protected].
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Company events
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- Wellness program
Flexible Language Requirement:
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Kanata, ON: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- What are your salary expectations?
- Construction estimating: 2 years (required)
Work Location: In person