Founded in 1975, BR+A Consulting Engineers maintains a total staff of over 500 employees located at our main office in Boston and branch offices in New York City, NY; Philadelphia, PA; Washington, DC; Miami, FL; Chicago, IL; St. Louis, MO; Tampa, FL, Charlotte, NC; Charleston, SC and Guelph, ON. BR+A provides state-of-the-art integrated and coordinated mechanical, electrical, plumbing and fire protection consulting engineering, technology systems design, lighting design, and building commissioning services.
BR+A is seeking applicants for a Mechanical Designer in our Guelph, ON office. The candidate would be strongly motivated, well organized, and show professional initiative. The applicant should be able to take ownership of assignments and perform well both independently and as part of the project team. The ideal candidate would have a strong working knowledge of Revit, AutoCAD, and would have the following responsibilities:
· Perform advanced heating and cooling load calculations with Trace or HAP;
· Develop sections and elevations of complex ductwork and piping areas;
· Develop equipment room sizes during SD and DD phases;
· Edit specifications to reflect the project requirements;
· Develop air and water flow diagrams;
· Understand fan and pump curves to properly select equipment for application;
· Use the psychrometric chart properly for any HVAC system;
· Meet with vendors to determine specification requirements for application;
· Coordinate with other disciplines (mepfp, arch, struct, etc) for all HVAC details;
· Respond to RFI’s for the project, and accurately review submittals;
· Understand work planning and manage the design process to the available hours in the work plan;
· Understand the proper scope of SD, DD, CD level documents and deliver appropriate documentation;
· Modify sequences of operation for AHU’s, CHW and HW systems;
· Understand both constant and variable flow systems, and apply equipment appropriately;
· Meet with contractors during the bid phase to review the design details;
· Perform field verification and take-offs of existing systems for renovation projects.
· Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering;
· Proficient in AutoCAD and Revit;
· EIT (Engineer in Training);
· Minimum of 5 years of experience;
· Experience in designing Healthcare, Commercial, Higher Education or Laboratory projects is an asset;
· Excellent Organizational and Communication skills;
· Proactive and Collaborative team member.
BR+A is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply, regardless of race, gender, religion, age, national origin, disability, veteran status or sexual orientation. The candidate must pass a drug test.
Qualified candidates should forward their resume and cover letter.
Job Type: Full-time
Work Location: In person