Job posting closes: September 25, 2023 at 5:00 p.m. (Yukon Standard Time)
An Eligibility List may be established from this competition – the duration of the eligibility list may be up to 12 months. The eligibility list may be used to fill future permanent full-time, permanent part-time, temporary full-time, temporary part-time, term or casual vacancies within the same department and classification based on the organizational needs by going to the next highest ranked candidate until the eligibility list expires.
This position is covered by a collective agreement between the City of Whitehorse and the Public Service Alliance of Canada/Yukon Employees Union.
The City wishes to thank all applicants for their interest but only those candidates selected to advance in the recruitment will be contacted. Note that only those candidates eligible to legally work in Canada will be considered.
The incumbent assists with various engineering initiatives.
1. Collect data, compile and prepare reports of the City’s road network.
2. Perform traffic counts at various locations throughout the City and enter the data into a database.
3. Provide assistance to complete designs, and generate construction drawings.
4. Perform and/or assist in various survey functions.
5. Prepare technical specifications and tender packages on small capital projects as assigned.
6. Assist with contract administration during construction of small capital projects.
7. Assist in developing various budgets including compiling unit prices by reviewing previous bid results or sourcing externally.
8. Work on various projects as assigned, ability to research and prepare memos and reports.
9. Provide construction supervision and/or inspections as required.
10. Follow, so far as is reasonably practicable, established safety procedures and standards.
11. Other related duties.
This description contains elements necessary for identification and evaluation of the job. The incumbent may be required to perform other related duties.
Exposure to inclement weather when working outdoors while performing traffic counts and surveying.
- Post-secondary student (in an engineering discipline) or related studies.
- General knowledge in Civil Engineering as it relates to municipal engineering.
- General knowledge of Autocad drafting and on-board drafting.
- Knowledge of survey & survey instruments; EDM, Total Station, Traffic Count Data Logger, level transit, rod, chain.
- Diverse technical knowledge and ability to undertake support roles in design, contract preparation, construction inspection.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work independently.
- Class 5 Driver’s License and must have use of a vehicle for the term of this position (mileage will be reimbursed).
An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
Autocad, light transportation vehicle and general office equipment including computer skills to operate software programs related to word processing, spreadsheet, electronic mail, etc.
Job seekers are required to create an online profile and submit their application electronically through the City's online Applicant system via www.whitehorse.ca/careers. Instructions on applications are provided at https://www.whitehorse.ca/our-government/employment/how-to-apply/. If you have any further questions regarding this posting, please contact the recruiter at [email protected].
To apply for this position, you are required to submit your resume.
Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the recruiting process.
At the time this posting closes, candidates must have valid and current licenses/certifications/education that match the position requirements. Candidates who are selected to continue with the recruiting process will be required to provide proof of qualifications during their interview.