Commercial Emergency Equipment, a part of the Commercial Group of Companies, is looking to grow its national service team by bringing on an EVT – Emergency Vehicle Technician at our new Winnipeg branch. A current EVT, Millwright, Truck Transport Mechanic, or Heavy Duty Mechanic with experience or an interest in learning emergency apparatus would be perfect for this role, and Commercial will provide training and product familiarization to the right mechanic. The successful candidate must be comfortable working independently, as they will also be responsible for establishing and heading-up the emergency apparatus service program at the new branch.
Commercial EVT’s support and service the apparatus we sell: Pierce Manufacturing, Oshkosh Airport Products, BME Fire Trucks, and MaxiMetal, as well as maintain apparatus from other manufacturers to keep local fire departments up and running. Reporting to the Service Manager, the right individual needs to be a self-starter, organized, with the ability to work with minimal supervision and excel in a team environment. Employees that have been successful for us have come from broad and varied backgrounds including marine, light automotive, aviation, aerospace, rail, manufacturing, and heavy equipment, and more, but mechanics from all backgrounds are welcome to apply.
About Commercial Emergency Equipment
Commercial Emergency Equipment, a part of the Commercial Group of Companies, is Canada’s largest supplier of emergency apparatus. Commercial is the authorized dealer for Pierce, BME Fire Trucks, MaxiMetal, Oshkosh Airport Products and Oshkosh Snow Products apparatus from Ontario to BC including all Canadian Territories. With a 75-year history, 350+ employees across Canada in ten main branches, and 250,000+ sq. ft. of combined production and service space, Commercial has an unmatched parts, service, training, testing, and support network for emergency apparatus.
- Competitive compensation
- Complete disability program including excellent long-term and short-term benefits
- Generous annual profit-sharing compensation and seasonal bonus program
- Company-matched RRSP contributions
- Extensive dental coverage with $0 deductible and children’s orthodontics included
- Prescription drug coverage with direct-pay drug card
- 100% vision/optometry coverage, including annual coverage for dependent children
- Complete and extensive paramedical coverage with per-category accounts for physiotherapy, chiropractic care, massage therapy, naturopathy, podiatry, acupuncture, and more.
- Group life insurance at 100% annual earnings
- Safe workplace with full committee and monthly meetings
- All PPE and consumables provided
- 100% Coverage emergency travel insurance
- Company events including BBQs, holiday parties, and more
- Purchase discount program
- Exceptional career growth opportunities, with a hire-from-within strategy
Electrical inspection, diagnosis, troubleshooting, and repair of emergency apparatus systems including, but not limited to:
- Indicators, emergency lights, warning lights, and scene lights
- Sirens and PA speakers
- In-vehicle video systems, communication radios, mobile computers, and communication antennas
- General 12V automotive troubleshooting: wiring, fuses, relays, switches, and batteries.
- Vendor-specific electrical systems such as Pierce Command Zone, and other Can-Bus systems.
- Familiarity with high-voltage systems and EVs would be an advantage.
In addition to electrical work:
- Mechanical diagnosis and repair of major mechanical components: Engines, Suspension, Drivetrain, Brakes, Transmission etc.
- Hydraulics and Pneumatics- Diagnosis, repair, and installations of all common truck and emergency vehicle hydraulics and pneumatics.
- Emergency equipment-specific maintenance including but not limited to pumps, valves, monitors and turrets, foam systems, tanks, aerial devices, and hydraulic racking.
- Preventative and routine maintenance, inspection, and testing including but not limited to pump testing, insulation testing, aerial device maintenance, ladder testing, and general truck maintenance, either on-site or in Commercial’s facility.
- Receive, plan for, and travel to assigned service call locations.
- Other broad and varies duties as assigned related to service and support of Emergency apparatus.
Education, Skills and Qualifications
Minimum MB Class 5F driver’s license, ideally with an air brake endorsement. The successful candidate will likely eventually need a Class 3 license - many of the apparatus we transport, sell, and deliver have multiple rear axles. Reliable personal transportation is also required. Capable and comfortable driving larger vehicles.
- Interprovincial Red Seal considered an asset.
- Journeyperson Certificate considered an asset.
- An understanding of NFPA standards is a very strong asset. Experience and knowledge of firefighting techniques, equipment, and/or apparatus is considered a very strong asset.
- Previous experience diagnosing, testing, servicing and/or repairing heavy trucks or equipment is mandatory.
- Detail oriented, dependable, punctual, safe, independent, reliable, amiable, driven, self-motivated.
- The successful candidate should be legally able to travel to the United States, and comfortable with occasional travel for training, trade shows, and customer service visits. Some after-hours or out-of-town work may be required for emergency service.
- Computer knowledge and competence, including Office 365 is required.
Timeline and Application
Applications are reviewed as received and those interested are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. We thank international candidates for their interest, but only candidates legally permitted to work in Canada will be considered. Preference will be given to candidates currently residing in the Winnipeg area.
Commercial Truck Equipment maintains an inclusive and discrimination-free hiring process, as well as compliance with Provincial Human Rights Codes, the Canadian Human Rights Act, and the Employment Equity Act.
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
Salary: $35.00-$41.00 per hour
- Casual dress
- Company events
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- Profit sharing
- RRSP match
- Store discount
- Vision care
Flexible Language Requirement:
Supplemental pay types:
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Sunnyside, MB R5R 0J5: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
Work Location: In person