Definity includes some of Canada’s most long-standing and innovative insurance brands, including Economical Insurance, Sonnet Insurance, Family Insurance Solutions, and Petline Insurance. With strong roots that date back to 1871, we’ve grown to become a digital leader in the insurance industry. We’re proud to help our clients and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change.
Our promise to you: It’s better here. Why? Because we CARE, and we provide an employee experience that’s collaborative, ambitious, rewarding, and empowering.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Definity offers a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Leaders partner with their teams to find the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their teams, colleagues, brokers and customers, while ensuring collaboration, teamwork and accountability for goals.
Are you our ideal candidate?
We’re mining our network and putting out this call for a seasoned brand and marketing professional who is proud of their experience building a results-driven marketing capability and evolving a strong brand into an even better one. In this role, you will have an opportunity to collaborate with one of Canada’s top leadership teams in insurance and financial services. You will also be supported by a marketing team and peers highly familiar with our business that will help you establish great internal and external connections. You will have an opportunity to design the capability you believe is most suitable for the future needs of the organization. In doing so, you and your team will contribute to both immediate and longer-term results.
As a senior leader on our Integrated Marketing & Communication (IMC) team at Definity, the Director, Brand & Marketing Strategy stewards our brand and connects marketing strategy and programs to business goals and priorities for our corporate and broker channels. In addition to supporting the organization overall, this role works very closely with leaders in our Personal Insurance & Digital Channels, Commercial Insurance & Insurance Operations, and People & Culture.
Reporting to the VP, Integrated Marketing & Communication, the successful candidate will work closely with other leaders in IMC to build synergy, offer counsel, and envision better ways of creating business value.
What can you expect from this role?
- Develop annual marketing strategy, quarterly plans, and budgets, in consultation with various experts, business leaders, and executives
- Champion our brand and ensure consistent brand positioning with key segments across relevant channels of influence through a smart mix of campaign and sustained engagement
- Connect brand and marketing programs to clear business outcomes and return on effort
- Consult on strategic brand and marketing opportunities across lines of business and operations within Definity
- Support strategic initiatives and work with leaders across the company including key internal stakeholders, external stakeholders, senior leadership, and brokers to ensure the successful execution of all marketing, advertising, and promotional activities
- Create and communicate key metrics to show brand impact and progress
- Lead team and actively coach direct reports to advance capabilities and engagement
- Collaborate with IMC Operations to manage workplans and allocate resources to meet internal and external brand and marketing needs for both corporate and broker marketing initiatives
- Build rapport and maintain connections with other marketing and communication leaders across Definity, including Sonnet, Petline, and Family Insurance
- Supervise quality of marketing work and execution, ensuring that programs are strategically aligned to our brand position and high creative standards
- Inspire strategic and creative thinking within the brand and marketing teams and across Definity
- Reinforce consistent adoption of brand standards across the company
- Evolve the integration of research, data, and analytics from across the business to establish focus on actionable insights, smart briefs, and more disciplined decisions
- Embrace and adapt modern marketing practices to continue building and maturing our team capabilities
- Collaborate with creative, digital, PR, social media, content, communication, and event leaders and experts across IMC
What do you bring to the role?
- Skilled and motivated professional with 10-15 years of progressive brand development and marketing experience, with proven ability to develop creative, compelling, and engaging strategies while managing budget and delivering measured results
- Exceptional strategic planning and management skills, ideally with previous experience in the insurance or financial services overseeing a multi-disciplined marketing team
- Experience and confidence working with, negotiating with, and advising leaders at executive and management levels on brand and marketing strategy and business impact
- Advocacy for insightful and informed results-driven marketing programs rooted in research and analysis
- Proactive, self-motivated, and capable of managing distributed teams and stakeholders effectively in a fast-paced hybrid work environment
- Keenly aware of inclusive, diverse, equitable, and accessible needs when it comes to planning, supervising, and delivering relevant and impactful marketing programs
- Influential verbal, written, and presentation skills to share programs and results
- University degree in marketing, business, humanities, brand, communication, or other related discipline
We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
Hybrid work schedule for most roles
Company share ownership program
Pension and savings programs, with company-matched RRSP contributions
Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations
Educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams
Focus on inclusion with employee groups, support for gender affirmation surgery, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents
Wellness and recognition programs
Discounts on products and services
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]
This role requires successful clearance of a background check (including criminal checks and leadership references).