Seeking-Support Staff Awake Overnight Position
7 p.m. – 7 a.m.
The Cold Lake John Howard Society Mat Program provides overnight support services for individuals encountering homelessness in a supportive and inclusive environment. We welcome clients to a community of people experiencing similar challenges, while meeting clients where they are at. The Mat Program operates on a client-centered/harm reduction approach.
The Support Staff position is to provide support services to clients while being cognizant that the individuals we serve may have a variety of challenges and often have overlapping problems including mental illness, substance abuse and past traumas. The ideal support staff will complete client intake, orientate new clients in addition to providing a premade meal to the clients, provide hygiene products, and distribute blankets to the clients that utilize the Mat Program. Support staff will strive to maintain order within the shelter.
The Support Staff will perform duties while maintaining confidentiality and the integrity of the Cold Lake John Howard Society.
The Support Staff will report to the Program Manager and the Cold Lake John Howard Board of Directors.
· Awareness surrounding poverty, mental health, addictions, abuse, and social isolation
· Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
· Ability to work independently and as part of a team within Cold Lake John Howard Society
· Understands and maintains clientele/worker boundaries
· Familiarity with community resources
· Comfortable collecting information for new client intake.
· Collect and maintain accurate statistical information for record keeping
· Possess strong critical thinking skills
· Apply knowledge of group dynamics in a community living setting
· Use of excellent organizational and time management skills
· The ideal candidate will possess a Diploma in Human Service/Social Work or equivalent training
· Combination of training and lived experience will also be considered
- Criminal Record Check
- Reliable transportation
- Willingness to take further informal training
Attention: Hiring Committee
Closing Date: Until a suitable candidate is found
We welcome everyone from diverse backgrounds and encourage them to apply in order to foster an inclusive environment. However only those qualified will be contacted for an interview.
Job Type: Casual
Salary: From $20.00 per hour
Flexible Language Requirement:
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Cold Lake, AB: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
Work Location: In person