Requisition ID: 30027
Do you want to work at one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers? We’re looking for people who are driven by excellence to work with innovative technology to create the material tomorrow’s world will be made of.
At ArcelorMittal Dofasco, we play a key role in North America’s advanced manufacturing supply chain working with the top automotive, energy, packaging, and construction brands to develop lighter, stronger and more sustainable steel products – from cans to cars.
We are at the forefront of the steel industry with a plan to change the way we make steel to significantly reduce GHG emissions in the short term, while reaching net zero before 2050. Ours will be the first integrated steelmaking site in the world to make this transformation and it will happen by 2028. Our global company is leading the world with significant decarbonization projects in North America and Europe and our site is key to this plan.
ArcelorMittal Dofasco is Hamilton's largest private sector employer with more than 4,500 employees, shipping 4.5 million net tons of high quality flat carbon steel annually. Our iconic tagline "Our Product is Steel. Our Strength is People." is a true expression of our belief that our people are our competitive advantage.
Control & Drive Systems Specialist
Pickling & Cold Rolling Business Unit
A Control and Drive Systems Specialist will be part of a highly specialized team that is responsible for a broad range of automation technologies across 4 large scale assets. You will be integrated into a specific asset’s team as control systems support working with other disciplines to meet reliability, improvement, and maintenance objectives.
As a Control and Drive Systems Specialist, the core function will be to have a highly technical understanding of the PLC’s across multiple assets along with their various communication protocols, drive systems, SCADA, and visualization systems in order to resolve issues and implement improvements. You will work effectively with other disciplines as part of a diverse team that demonstrates continuous improvement thinking, excellent problem-solving methodologies, and innovative solutions for equipment maintenance and reliability.
- Implement specific equipment solutions or control systems under given frame work for a local area and/or for specific equipment type.
- Monitor and assist to troubleshoot and determine the stability within a controlling system, (drive speed/torque controller or any process control loop), and develop action plans with the Equipment Specialists to resolve any issues.
- Assist others in any reliability or improvement initiative within the measurement and control system field and assist in the design, implementation an commissioning of any system.
- Perform physical or software work on any process sensor (flow pressure, temperature, speed, tension etc.) or associated regulation systems of the above sensors.
- Implement minor improvements to the control systems in a local area and/or for specific equipment with minimal supervision from a senior team member.
- Work within an activity group to solve measurement or control problems (PLC’s, PC’s, drives, sensors).
- Work with minimal guidance from senior team members to update and change any software, (operating system or applications), and hardware, (controllers and sensors), for all level 0/1 controllers within the Business Unit.
- Work on all process regulators associated within current BU (drives & sensors) with minimal guidance from senior team members.
- Experience integrating multiple networks like DeviceNet, Ethernet/IP, Profibus, and Profinet.
- Must have excellent problem-solving skills and be able to troubleshoot electrical circuits and program logic.
- Possess strong fundamental knowledge of control and electrical system design and its application in automated control systems
- Work closely with the Instrumentation group to resolve or implement changes.
- Assist the Level 0/1 Instrumentation group in rectifying control issues within the various process control systems.
- Work closely with corporate IT groups to maintain level 0/1 Windows based computers and servers
Education & Experience:
- Minimum 4-year B. Tech – Process Automation degree or similar (or 3-year community college diploma in electrical/controls with at least 5 years working experience directly involving control systems)
- Good troubleshooting skills with Electrical, Mechanical, and Networking are required.
- Working knowledge of Electrical Control Systems is required
- General knowledge of Electrical standards is required
- Programming, commissioning and troubleshooting experience with Siemens software products (Step 7, PCS7, TIA, WinCC with server, STARTER) is considered a strong asset
- Knowledge of Siemens drives (6RA80, S120, MM440, SM150) is considered an asset
- Experience with IBA PDA is considered an asset
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, ability to take initiative; highly self-motivated.
- Combination of office, shop and plant environment
- Personal protective safety equipment as required in the plant.
- Monday to Thursday 10.5 hour dayshifts, with overtime as required
- Shared 24/7 call-in support required
Total Rewards at ArcelorMittal Dofasco
- We provide employees with a market competitive total compensation package. Our promise is to provide superior pay for superior performance, accompanied by comprehensive health and wellness, pension, vacation and related programs.
- Competitive hourly rates and shift premium
- On your first day you will immediately be eligible for:
- Bonus paid twice a year based on Company performance on key goals. Your bonus target will be 10% of base salary earnings.
- Company paid Defined Contribution Pension Plan. No employee contribution required. With employer contributions between 5 and 10%.
- Competitive vacation allowances
- Group Benefits with no health and dental premiums.
- For health and dental claims you only pay amounts above the maximums the plan pays.
- Life insurance premiums are shared with the company.
After two years of permanent company service you will participate in our Profit Sharing, where all permanent employees share equally in allocation of profits.
Other immediate benefits include:
- Competitive vacation entitlements
- PPE and workwear provided at no cost (if required)
- Wellness and Employee Assistance Programs
- Free access to three onsite fitness centers and our 70-acre recreation park with multiple arenas, fields and organized sports for you and your family
We would like to thank all those who apply in advance since only applicants selected to complete an online assessment will be contacted.
ArcelorMittal Dofasco is an equal opportunity employer and encourages all qualified candidates to apply and we are committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities to support their participation in all aspects of the recruitment and selection process. If you require accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.