Join the hardworking and dedicated team delivering exciting arts and culture programs and activities to our community – and beyond. Reporting to the Audience & Digital Services Supervisor, the Customer Service Representative (CSR) supports the program operations with the Aurora Cultural Centre. At the Aurora Cultural Centre, we believe that arts, culture, and heritage can play a role in changing our world and our community. This is the fabric that deepens our understanding of our shared experience and creates a more compassionate society. Since 2010, the Centre has welcomed the community to create and participate in diverse experiences for all ages. We proudly program four vibrant gallery exhibition spaces, a range of instructional classes for children, teens and adults, an eclectic live music series, special family events and summer arts camps.
This part-time position requires the candidate to be available to support daytime, evening and weekend program delivery, with primary focus on evenings and weekends. The successful candidate will be available to work flexible hours.
The successful candidate will possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills, have an interest in artistic and cultural programming, be a generous and compassionate team member, and proficient in handling administrative tasks. Front of House knowledge in the performing arts world is considered an asset.
The Aurora Cultural Centre is committed to racial justice and reconciliation, and values diverse voices that reflect the communities we serve. We encourage Persons with Disabilities, Black, Indigenous, other racialized candidates and/or candidates from the 2SLGBTQIA+ community to apply for this position.
Context and Summary
The Aurora Cultural Centre operates out of a restored 1886 schoolhouse in a small community north of Toronto. The Town of Aurora is engaged in a significant cultural infrastructure project called Aurora Town Square, to complete an addition to the schoolhouse and add cultural amenities. The new facility is set to open in 2024.
We are currently operating offsite due to the cultural infrastructure project. Most programming is taking place in rented venues throughout Aurora or at Aurora Town Hall. This position is key to guiding and supporting the community to access their in-person programs.
As with all positions at the Centre, the Customer Service Representative will be required to be flexible and punctual. This position will require the CSR to manage multiple contacts simultaneously with excellent customer services. The CSR will be liaising with various members of the staff team related to the program delivery they are supporting.
The successful candidate would be responsible for the following:
- Represent the Aurora Cultural Centre in a positive and professional manner.
- Greet and check in visitors, answer calls to assess visitor requirements and recommend appropriate programs or Aurora Cultural Centre contacts.
- Support entry to gallery exhibits based on new or existing protocols, which can include supporting timed-entry or drop-in bookings, engaging with visitors, answering inquiries and keeping patron logs.
- Assist in the delivery of programming, including galleries, exhibitions, programs, classes, concerts and special events.
- Assist in the promotion of programs including ticket sales, program registrations and outreach opportunities.
- Liaise with staff and instructors and assist in the set-up and tear down of program and event infrastructure.
- Required to lift, push, pull, reach, carry and move objects and infrastructure that is required in the delivery of arts and special event programming, including, but not limited to: programming and hospitality supplies, service carts, chairs, boxes, artwork, and signage.
- Administrative duties such as database and wait list management.
- Hospitality preparation and clean-up and may be required to undertake emergency cleaning.
- Opening/closing and securing the building when required; security system monitoring for health and safety; provide way finding to all visitors.
- Undertake other duties as may be assigned by the Audience & Digital Services Supervisor,
- Executive Director, or senior staff member on shift.
- Minimum Grade 12 diploma plus 1 year post secondary education in field of choice
- First Aid and CPR Training required
- Minimum 1 year experience in a customer service role;
- Experience in arts programming (concert/theatre, education, gallery hosting) an asset.
- Experience in non-traditional/informal settings welcome. If you can connect your experience to the role, we welcome your application.
- Interest in arts and cultural programs an asset
We recognize that this is an entry-level position and the applicant may not have all of these skills upon application. We welcome a growth mindset is required to grow into the skills for the role.
- Excellent customer service skills
- Enthusiasm, creativity and strong organizational skills
- Proven experience in a not-for-profit or other organization delivering programming in arts and/or recreation in an asset.
- Ability to work effectively and professionally independently, and within a team environment.
- Strong communication, problem solving and interpersonal skills.
- Experience working with volunteers is an asset.
- Proficiency with MS Windows and MS Office (Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint), and experience with Publisher is an asset.
- Certification in First Aid and CPR or willingness to obtain.
How will you create impact?
- By bringing fresh, dynamic ideas to the table
- By contributing to the team with a strong and thoughtful work ethic
- How will you fit into the team?
- Being outgoing and adaptable
- A resilient and flexible personality as plans can change from day-to-day
- You are a consummate professional and can represent the Aurora Cultural Centre not just creatively but also in experience, insight, and attitude.
- Part time positions also are eligible for statutory pay for 14 holidays based on ESA calculated hours.
The Aurora Cultural Centre is committed to adhere to public health safety guidelines for our employees and families, and some team members continue to work remotely. This position requires the Customer Service Representative to work in person for all Aurora Cultural Centre events at their respective venues.
How to Apply
Applications will only be considered through the Aurora Cultural Centre's online platform: https://secure.collage.co/jobs/auroraculturalcentre/40683
Please follow all steps and apply through the secure.collage link above. Do not apply through Indeed.
Applicants must include both a resume and a covering letter. Applicants must be Canadian Citizens or Permanent Residents in order to be considered for the position. No phone calls or emails, please.
A criminal record search will be required of the successful candidate, at their own expense, that is acceptable to the Aurora Cultural Centre. The cost of the criminal record check will be reimbursed if a receipt is submitted.
We recognize that candidates may not meet all the criteria listed in this posting. We encourage all those interested in this posting with a combination of relevant technical experience and an interest in the arts to apply.
We are committed to providing a workplace that is inclusive and accessible to all. Should you require accommodation during the staffing process, please do not hesitate to contact us at 905-713-1818 or [email protected]
We thank all applicants for their interest in joining our team, and all responses will be held in strictest confidence. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Application Deadline: October 6, 2023
About the Aurora Cultural Centre
At the Aurora Cultural Centre (www.auroraculturalcentre.ca), we believe that arts, culture, and heritage can play a role in changing our world and our community. This is the fabric that deepens our understanding of our shared experience and creates a more compassionate society. Since 2010, the Centre has welcomed the community to create and participate in diverse experiences for all ages. We proudly program four vibrant gallery exhibition spaces, a range of instructional classes for children, teens and adults, an eclectic live music series, special family events and summer arts camps.
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $16.95 per hour
- Day shift
- Evening shift
- Monday to Friday
- Weekends as needed
For current health and safety protocols at the Aurora Cultural Centre, visit:
- This position is open to Canadian citizens and Permanent Residents only. Do you meet these qualifications? (Please answer Yes or No.)
Work Location: In person
Application deadline: 2023-10-06