Duties & Responsibilities:
- Complete intake packages for new clients accessing shelter services
- Coordinate supportive conversations with clients related to goals, challenges and overall wellness
- Providing opportunities for growth and development related to life skills (cooking, cleaning, personal maintenance, etc.)
- Ensuring adherence to “shelter rules” and coordinating with Program manager related to any infractions of same
- Acting as an advocate for clients in tandem with enhanced frontline positions and leadership team.
- Preparation of meals for clients following the shelter menu
- Assist in fulfilling basic needs for clients such as shelter, food and clothing
- Supporting enhanced positions in reestablish viable natural supports for clients
- Adherence to documentation policy and overall service level agreement related to HIFIS reporting
- Assist client in accessing appointments and engagements outside of the shelter via transportation
- Supporting clients in planning and implementing desired recreational programming
- Effective use of crisis intervention and de-escalation techniques in relation to client interactions
- Creating space for impactful conversations with clients related to growth and development supports required for a successful transition from the shelter
Knowledge, Skills and other Requirements:
- Experience in youth work - more specifically in crisis situations
- Keen and motivated to work with the vulnerable population
- Balances work priorities with personal life so that neither is neglected.
- Acts with integrity and empathy related to all operations and interactions
- Ability to participate in team building and intersection with colleagues
- Demonstrates a respect for varying backgrounds, perspectives and values social and cultural differences.
- Acts as a role model for all employees in relation to professionalism, communication and approach.
- Exemplary documentation and reporting abilities
- Enhanced Requirements as follows;Driver’s Abstract
Clear Vulnerable Sector’s Check
Clear Criminal Record Check
First Aid/CPR level C
This position requires the individual to possess a class 5 driver’s license with
a minimum of $2 Million Liability insurance.
Education & Experience:
- Minimum education; Diploma in Human/Social Services or related field. Equivalent education and/or experience may be considered
- Youth work experience of 1-3 years.
- Experience working within the human services or healthcare sector
- Experience working with homeless individuals
- Experience working in the Not-for-Profit Sector.
Job Type: Casual
Salary: $21.50 per hour
- Casual dress
- Company events
- On-site parking
Flexible Language Requirement:
- Day shift
- Night shift
Supplemental pay types:
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Stellarton, NS B0K 1S0: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- A clear vulnerable sector check and child abuse registry search will be required, will this be an issue?
- Secondary School (preferred)
Work Location: In person