WHO WE ARE
At A&B Rail LTD., our work is getting and keeping Canada’s railway operators in motion – safely and sustainably! We work coast-to-coast, in every railway sector, and on any size project. Our commitment is service excellence and offering our clients exceptional value. Within our team, we call this Doing It Right!
- Candidates applying for this position must have their own transportation as job sites are throughout the region.
- Preference will be shown to candidates that reside in the region.
- Due the physically demanding nature of the position, candidates will be required to undergo fitness testing as a condition of employment.
Reporting to the Foreman, the Trackman maintains and repairs railway tracks. Duties can include replacing and repairing various track components including rails, railway ties, and fences and adjusting the alignment and the surface of the track as well as responding to emergencies and track outages.
- Moderate to heavy physical labour on an assigned area of track. This work involves:
- pulling track spikes
- applying rail anchors
- shoveling crushed rock
- bending & lifting up to 50 lbs on a regular basis
- repetitive tasks
- Various loading and unloading of heavy materials such as tools and equipment (spikes, tie plates, joint bars etc.) to and from various vehicles and machine
- Prepare, use and maintain various common and specialized hand tools for assigned work
- Correct deviations in track surface, alignment and gauge
- Clearing railway crossings of brush and tall grass using hand held tools and equipment
- Removal of tie plates from the rail
- Snow removal
- Occasional driving of company vehicle
- Other duties as assigned
- General understanding of how to operate small equipment such as, but not limited to rail saws, drills, grinders, puller, air compressor, bolter, and back pack blower
- General understanding how to operate hand tools such as, but not limited to hammers, claw bars, drift pin, scythes, brooms, shovel, pick, and track jacks
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITIES:
The successful candidate for this role will demonstrate the following skills and experiences
- Basic understanding of survey grades and construction methods
- Ability to read instructions, follow technical specifications and grade plans
- Ability to perform various types of physical labour including moderate to heavy lifting, standing, bending, shovelling, etc.
- Sound understanding of safety regulations, safe work practices and work procedures and be capable of assisting in maintaining safe work sites
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team
- Perform duties in inclement weather, with possible exposure to severe weather conditions
- Proficiency in the safe operation and maintenance of various related equipment and tools
- Ability to maintain concentration and mental alertness in a variety of situations
- Knowledge of workplace safety requirements and procedures
- Knowledge of equipment maintenance and storage
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong stress management and time management skills
- A high school diploma or equivalent with at least 1 year full time work experience as a Trackman
- Valid Operator’s License & Clean Driver's Abstract
- Valid CSTS, First Aid, H2S Alive and Ground Disturbance level 2 courses are considered an asset
WHAT WE OFFER:
- All Employees are part of Unionized Environment
- Comprehensive Benefit Package including Extended Health, Dental and Vision.
- Life and Disability Insurance
- Benefit Coverage eligibility for off season
- Employee Assistant Program
- Paid hotels and Live Out Allowance when working out of town
- Work Trucks available to carpool
- Yearly Boot Allowance
- The opportunity to work with a great team where Safety is an integral part of our culture
We would like to thank all applicants for their interest but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
A&B Rail Services LTD. is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
Salary: $20.00-$25.00 per hour
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Vision care
Supplemental pay types:
- Are you willing and able to work long shifts in all weather conditions doing manual work?
- Do you have reliable transportation to and from job sites?
- Railway: 1 year (preferred)
- Driving Licence (preferred)
Work Location: On the road