Work Type: Temporary Part Time
St. Mary’s General Hospital’s renewed vision of ‘Inspiring excellence. Healthier Together’ lays out a plan for growth, and innovation that will keep pace with the community and region that it serves. It also reflects our strong culture and values of compassion, respect, inclusion, integrity, collaboration and innovation that we bring to each interaction with patients and each other within the hospital and extends that commitment to how we will work with our partners across the health system. When you join St. Mary’s, your contribution will make a positive impact to the quality of life for patients and families. You will contribute to our mission: Living the legacy – Compassion. Faith. Discovery.
New employees must provide documentation/proof of full COVID-19 vaccination status, a 2-step TB screening, as well as proof of immunity to measles, mumps, rubella, and varicella (chickenpox) prior to their start date at St. Mary’s General Hospital. Staff will require clearance from Employee Health and Wellness before they are able to begin any position within SMGH.
Position Summary :
The Admitting Clerk, Geriatric Medical Complex Clinic, will perform related documentation duties necessary for booking of procedures, receiving patients and visitors and ensuring the orderly operation of the Cardiac Clinics. This position is responsibilities include, but are not limited to: data entry (in-patient and outpatient registration, admission, discharge, transfer and pre-registrations); required transport functions, in accordance with unit and hospital policies, ordering and maintaining supplies and specific auditing functions. As a member of the team, the GMCC Clerk is responsible for smooth operation of the clinic as it relates to daily organization of the workload and adjustments to meet patient and family needs. This pivotal role supports respectful and timely communication to patients, family members, clinic colleagues, physicians and community partners
- Successful completion of Grade 12 or equivalent.
- Graduate of a formal Medical Terminology program.
- Demonstrated ability to type a minimum of 50 w.p.m. with accuracy and minimal error.
- Ability to exercise tact and diplomacy when dealing with concerns from patients, doctors and staff.
- Ability to work and function efficiently under stressful situations.
- Successfully able to perform their function in accordance with prescribed standards that focuses on the priority of People Safety and the delivery of the highest standard of Quality Care.
- Demonstrate the physical and mental capabilities necessary for proper and efficient performance of the essential duties of the position.
- Pre-registers all patients for appointed procedure and operation including ordering lab records, explaining procedures, and verifying patient information is accurately updated and consistent to physician’s orders.
- Obtains all necessary information from patients/families and processes and updates patient charts to ensure the hospital’s patient information system is updated and maintained.
- Responsible for booking diagnostic tests and clerical functions which enhance the overall operation of an effective department.
- Accountable for advance chart preparation with required diagnostic test results or consultations available, reminder phone calls to patients and family members and assisting the patient and family during the clinic visit with updates or information as required.
- Ensures and documents that the patient is equipped with all required documentation for the procedure.
- Adapt communication and interpersonal skills to deal effectively with patients and their families, co-workers, physicians, volunteers and others within our health care community.
- Performs administrative duties including faxing reports and patient information to the required destination or department.
- Organizing bookings and filing and ensuring that they are categorized according to departments standards.
- Prepares numerous forms, prepares and types monthly reports, completes surveys as requested.
- Registering appointments and orders for Radiology, Lab, and other tests; and computer work which would include creating and distributing lists of appointments and maintaining statistics.
- Ensures that office equipment supplies are stocked and requests inventory when needed.
- Prepares all inpatient charts and ensures that they are available for the next business day.
- Demonstrate values and a commitment to foster a healthy, supportive work environment dedicated to delivering a high quality care experience though compassion, innovation and respect.
- Effectively apply organizational and time management skills to prioritize workload, to problem solve, and to adapt to frequent interruptions and change.
- Abide by all SMGH policies and procedures, (i.e., Occupational Health & Safety Act, Public Hospitals Act,) position obligations, and perform work duties in accordance with SMGH’s Code of Conduct.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Experience with admitting and patient registration processes.
- Proficiency in data entry and working with computerized Patient Information and Order Entry systems
As per the collective agreement, the internal recruitment process will be completed prior to the consideration of external applications.
Accommodations are available during all stages of the recruitment process in accordance with the Human Rights Code.SMGH is committed to complying with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) to provide an inclusive, barrier free workplace. We will accommodate the accessibility needs of individuals with disabilities to support participation in all aspects of the recruitment process. Should you require this accommodation, please contact [email protected] .
We would like to thank all candidates in advance for their interest and only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Due to the volume of applications we receive, we are unable to confirm the receipt of individual applications or resumes.