Here at Vecova, we are passionate about inclusion and believe we can improve the lives of all members of our community. We are a dynamic leader in the disability sector providing programs, services and enterprises designed to meet the needs of persons of all abilities through housing, employment and wellness services. We are a team of talented individuals, big-thinkers and collaborators, who embrace our values and guiding principles to drive our mission and vision forward.
“We are creating a workplace culture of inclusion and belonging where all team members feel heard and valued. We are a diverse group of individuals working towards a common and noble goal of inclusion for everyone.” – Kelly Holmes-Binns, Chief Executive Officer - Vecova
THE OPPORTUNITY – SUPPORTIVE ROOMMATE
We are looking for candidate to support consumers within their home. Emphasis on supports with mental health, emotional stability, socialization opportunities to practice and learn independent life skills. Please note: Candidates must provide a description of their home and neighbourhood along with pictures of the common living areas and bedroom that would be offered. Candidates that do not provide this information will not be considered.
WHAT YOU WILL DO
- Provide individualized support for a consumer with a developmental disability and specific living support needs in your own residence with an emphasis is on residential and community-based living
- Support individual with daily personal care and hygiene routines.
- Assist or provide support to maintain health, i.e. attend medical appointments, medication administration, liaise with pharmacy, education around healthy eating and cooking, and emotional support
- Support individual in daily routines (consumer has limited mobility) such as; during meals, shopping, cleaning/tiding own space and laundry
- Guide and assist consumer in managing their personal affairs such as banking and budgeting
- Assist Guide individual in the development of social skills and meaningful relationships
- Communicate and update the team of professionals working with this consumer on a daily basis through specific communication channels (emails, phone, and online applications).
- Support consumer with their emotional and mental well being.
WHAT YOU BRING
We are looking to engage team members with diverse skills, experiences and interests. These are some of the competencies and credentials we are looking for:
- Diploma and/or Degree in Social Work, Psychology, Community Rehabilitation, Disability Studies or a related social science is required
- Minimum of two years of experience working with persons with developmental disabilities
- Well developed and effective communication skills (written and oral), demonstrated critical thinking and a proven ability to identify issues and advocate for client
- Medication administration experience
- A Class 5 (no GDL) Driver’s license is required
- Basic computer skills, using and navigating web-based systems, sending and receiving emails and scanning and sharing digital information.
WHEN YOU WORK AT VECOVA
No two days will be the same! You’ll have the opportunity to embark on a gratifying career with an organization that puts people first.
We offer competitive compensation, a great benefits program, onsite fitness programs, flexible work schedules, and generous paid time off to spend time with family, pursue adventure or take time for interests outside of work.
Vecova is committed to life-long learning and ongoing training is part of who we are. We have comprehensive training programs and we offer learning opportunities to expand your knowledge and skills, stay current in your field, and continue to learn as your career progresses.
When you work at Vecova you belong. Join Us!
Interested candidates are invited to submit a cover letter, resume and description of your home.
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
Vecova celebrates diversity and is proud and committed to being an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, employ, train, compensate and promote regardless of Race, Religious beliefs, Color, Gender, Gender identity, Gender expression, Physical disability, Mental disability, Age, Ancestry, Place of origin, Marital status, Source of income, Family status and Sexual orientation (Alberta Human Rights Commission). At Vecova, we actively seek candidates from diverse backgrounds and are committed to an inclusive environment free of discrimination and harassment.
We greatly appreciate applications from all interested candidates; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. All candidates applying for positions must be authorized to work in Canada without employer support. Please note: Currently all interviews will be conducted online.
This competition will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision care
Work Location: In person
Application deadline: 2023-10-08