Meridian Surveys is seeking Survey Crew Chiefs to work based out of our office in Oak Bluff.
Who we are:
Over the years, the resource-rich prairie provinces of Canada have grown and prospered. Meridian Surveys has grown with them, becoming a leader in the surveying industry by remaining at the forefront of surveying and mapping technology, and translating that technology into client solutions.
Meridian Surveys has offices in major centres across Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba, as well as projects throughout Western Canada.
We do surveys for clients large and small – from private individuals requiring a boundary survey to commercial/industrial clients with larger scale projects.
We offer competitive wages, an above market benefits program, and matched pension plan.
Who you are:
Well organized, adaptable, attentive to detail, hard-working and dedicated.
Self-motivated and able to contribute in a fast paced team environment
Must be inclined to living in a camp environment and capable of overtime and weekend work.
Diploma in Geomatics, as well as experience leading a survey crew.
Valid Drivers License
ATV/ UTV Operator Training
Drug & alcohol screening will be conducted.
Only those applicants with valid Canadian work permits will be considered for interviews.
Wages will be dependent on experience.
We appreciate all resumes submitted, however only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.
- Perform all surveys (including GPS) in accordance with industry standards
- Ensure the survey crew adheres to all safety procedures and requirements.
- Work as directed by Project Manager
Knowledge, Competencies, Abilities:
Must have knowledge of all survey activities and related survey requirements. Must be capable of supervising a crew, keeping accurate, comprehensive, and neat notes and effectively communicate with the Project Manager and survey assistant.
- Supervise Assistant in all duties and ensure work is being done correctly
- Take instructions from manager in the AM for days work, ensure all instructions are understood
- Ensure all work is being done to highest standards
- Ensure vehicle is loaded with the right tools and equipment to complete the job properly and safely before departing
- Ensure all ATVs and equipment is properly tied down before departing
- Drive company or company leased vehicle in a safe manner and obey all speed limits and drive according to road conditions
- Ensure GPS and/or total station is set up correctly
- Walking to and from pins through all types of terrain and vegetation
- Climbing fences as required
- Depending on job requirements, walking up to 10km/ day may be required
- Operation of ATV as required
- Dig up pins using shovels, pry bars and jackhammers (under hard/ frozen conditions)
- Mark pins as required
- Plant monuments using sledge hammer (±20 lbs)
- Hammer lathe into ground
- Obtaining measurements
- Direct assistant in taking shots, digging pins, planting pins as required etc.
- Ensure all field notes are done correctly and neatly by the end of each day
- Download and process all field data at end of each day
- Work in all types of weather conditions unless unsafe to do so
- Know how to read road maps/ RM maps and navigate to and from job sites in both rural and urban areas
- Must have a good understanding of basic orienteering and be able to figure out positioning using land locations and/or geodetic/UTM coordinate systems.
- Maintain cleanliness of company/ leased vehicle
- Complete regularly scheduled maintenance on vehicle
- Complete any courses as required.
- Adhere to Meridian Surveys Safety, Environmental and Drug and Alcohol Policies
- Repair any equipment as needed.
- Check and report low material stock for reorder (Lath, pins, markers etc.)
- Complete Vehicle/ ATV and Trailer Inspections on a monthly basis
- Ensure all paperwork is completed in a timely manner, payroll and expense claims completed correctly and submitted for approval to supervisor before being sent in for payment
- Ensure all time, expenses, equipment inspections, vehicle/ ATV inspections are submitted at the end of every month
- Any travel out of town to projects for amount of time required to completed job
- Any other duties as required.
Work Environment, Mental and Physical Demands
- Outdoor work environment
- Possibility of working around heavy equipment
- Must be able to make decisions
- Must be able to read maps
- Must be able to communicate clearly with others
- Walking constantly throughout day
- Lifting up to 40lbs
- Carrying equipment up to 15lbs
Wages will be dependant on experience and certificates.
Drug and alcohol testing will be required
Only those who hold valid Canadian work permits will be considered for interviews.
While we appreciate all resumes, only those who are chosen for an interview will be contacted.
Meridian Surveys is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $25.00-$33.00 per hour
- Company car
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Profit sharing
- RRSP match
- Vision care
Flexible Language Requirement:
- 10 hour shift
- 12 hour shift
Supplemental pay types:
- Surveying: 5 years (preferred)
Work Location: On the road