Kasteel Construction and Coatings Inc. is a Northern owned and operated company located in Yellowknife, Northwest Territories.
Our purpose: To serve our team members and our Northern communities with compassion, thoughtfulness and caring acts while
working to deliver superior construction and coating projects. We are dedicated to our clients and employees through our
transparent commitment to do things differently. Our directive is to provide every client, employee, and subcontractor with
exceptional honesty and fairness. Kasteel prides itself on building strong, long term relationships which are driven by trust and
Due to our rapidly expanding business, we currently have an opening in Yellowknife for a full-time: Estimator
Job summary: Our company is looking for an experienced Estimator to prepare estimates, budgets and work with our project
managers. We are involved in many small to large scale projects involving: Residential, Commercial, Insurance and Industrial clients.
The ideal candidate will have a good understanding of competitive bidding and the ability to conduct comparative analysis based on
sound assessment of all materials, labour and equipment needed to compile a detailed assembly of costs to ensure client satisfaction
as well as company profitably.
In this role, you will:
- Source potential projects by establishing relationships with stakeholders, establish and maintain tendering processes, start
- Examine tenders thoroughly considering all aspects; reviewing blueprints, schematic drawings, proposals, specifications
and other documentation to extract details.
- Prepare estimates of costs for the project, add optional pricing for elements not considered captured in the documentation
received. Prepare change order costing as and when required.
- Review subcontractor quotes and verify accuracy of details for delivery, supply and install of all components. Adjust costing
and scheduling if necessary, to include any additional subcontractor requirements. Assist in sourcing new products/services
- Confer with parties regarding site changes, adjustments to cost estimates, facilitating change orders and/or credits.
- Evaluate projects for constructability, profitability and make recommendations, review final project budgets.
- Visit potential and project work sites, meet with project managers to clarify scope of work to determine requirements for
cost estimates and proposals, ensure accurate up-to-date reports.
- Calculate and maintain margins by keeping the Schedule of Values (SOV) up to date, add change orders, review daily
invoicing and staff timesheets to ensure proper coding allocations.
- Work with management on annual budgets with monthly variance reviews to lower and manage overhead costs.
- Flexibility to assist in other areas or departments within the company.
- Local applicants an asset. Note: full job description will be available upon hire.
- A combination of education or experience in estimating is required.
- Minimum 3 years experience in commercial and/or industrial construction environment.
- Familiarity within the northern construction industry would be a considerable asset.
- Computer proficient, strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office (excel, word, outlook, etc.).
- Experience with estimating software such as Buildxact, PlanSwift, etc. is required.
- Work effectively under pressure in a busy, multi-task environment while meeting strict bid submission timelines.
- Excellent communication, problem solving and organization skills.
- Motivated and goal driven individual, who wants to progress with the company.
- Has core values that align with our company.
- Carries themselves in respectful, thoughtful manor to clients and staff, in a fast-paced environment.
- Proven team player and comfortable in a dynamic environment.
PO Box 1868, 116 Curry Drive, Yellowknife, NT Canada X1A 2P4 P: (867) 873-2800 F: (867) 873-2899