Woodbine Family Health Team is a dynamic team of professionals including 5 Family Physicians,
Dietitian, Pharmacist, Registered Nurse, Mental Health Counsellor and administrative support.
We are currently looking for 1 Full-Time Respiratory Therapist to work with our team. Reporting to the Executive Director, you will be in assessing patient’s needs, provide care and establishes strong communication pathways between patients, family physicians, specialists and other community resources.
Full and detailed job description is included for your reference.
Please forward your most recent resume with a cover letter by October 13th, 2023
Executive Director [email protected] or fax to 416-342-5148
Thank you for all who apply. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
JOB DESCRIPTION – RESPIRATORY THERAPIST
POSITION TITLE: Respiratory Therapist
REPORTING TO: Executive Director
The Respiratory Therapist works as part of a multidisciplinary team to provide excellent care to patients living with lung disease. The Respiratory Therapist assesses patient needs, provides care and establishes strong communication pathways between patients, family physicians, specialists and other community resources.
- The Respiratory Therapist reports to, and is responsible to, the Executive Director. All clinical decision making outside the scope of the Respiratory Therapist must be done in consultation with physicians of Woodbine Family Health Team (WFHT), non-affiliated physician partners and/or WFHT medical directives.
- Does not direct the activities of staff or a function without direction of WFHT decision makers. The Respiratory Therapist must comply with the practice standards used by the College of Respiratory Therapists of Ontario.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Practice in accordance with the standards of professional practice as outlined by the Canadian Society of Respiratory Therapists (CSRT)
- Evaluate patients’ needs by conducting tests, educating patients on communicated diagnosis and determining respiratory therapy treatment plans in consultation with physicians
- Provide care and education to adult patients, families and care providers using behaviour management techniques individually and in groups.
- Conduct individual and family assessments to identify strengths, resources, psychological factors, socioeconomic impacts, educational needs and barriers to self- management.
- Follow patient progress at appropriate intervals to track changes in behaviour and to reinforce positive behaviour.
- Conduct Spirometry tests to allow physician interpretation and communicate the severity of respiratory dysfunction.
- Apply the latest best-practice standards to improve the health of clients diagnosed with a respiratory illness.
- Collaborate with an interdisciplinary team to enhance the care of clients.
- Develop, implement and revise customized self-management plans to meet individual needs in collaboration with the patients, their family physician, and other health care practitioners
- Maintain accurate records of patients' therapy in the electronic medical records, make reports to physicians, and participate in chart reviews.
- Provide individual and group smoking cessation counselling to patients and include nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) for patients as deemed appropriate
- Develop and facilitate group education sessions.
- Seek to continuously improve the operation of the clinic by evaluating processes and workflow and participating in other quality improvement activities.
- Fully participate in COPD program(s) offered by the WFHT
- Analyze the effectiveness of the program and help to identify any unmet needs.
- Serve as a resource to the team and community
- Develop and hone collaborative community relationships to facilitate patient access to services upon physician/health care team request;
- Communicate ideas or concerns to the health care team. Participate in problem solving to enhance patient care;
- Assist in the training and development of new staff.
- Use of personal protective equipment with all patients;
- Maintain clean, orderly and well‐stocked inventory of medical supplies Assist with other related duties as required.
- Graduate of an accredited Respiratory Therapy program
- Member in good standing with the College of Respiratory Therapists of Ontario
- Member of the Canadian Society of Respiratory Therapists, preferred
- Certified Respiratory Educator (CRE) designation
- 1 - 2 years of experience as a Respiratory Therapist in community or primary care setting
- Excellent computer literacy with Microsoft applications such as Excel, Word and Outlook
- Excellent communication skills in English (spoken, written, reading and comprehension)
- Demonstrates effective time-management skills and able to quickly make decisions to solve problems as required
- Ability to work independently and with other members of the healthcare team.
- Ability to prioritize, manage time effectively and be flexible in a very active work environment.
- Current Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR), Level C
- Smoking cessation education/certification
- Possesses a valid driver's license
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
Salary: Up to $74,000.00 per year
- Extended health care
- RRSP match
- Monday to Friday
- Weekends as needed
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Toronto, ON M9W 1R6: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- respiratory therapist: 1 year (preferred)
Work Location: In person
Application deadline: 2023-10-13
Expected start date: 2023-11-06