About the firm
Office CPA is a growth stage, full-service, remote-office professional services firm offering cloud accounting, bookkeeping, compilation, tax compliance, tax/estate planning, assurance, advisory, back-office and fractional CFO services to private companies in Canada. Our firm was founded on the principle of providing close, personal attention and superior value to our clients; the relationship we establish with each client is fundamental to our operating philosophy.
About the position
This is a hands-on Senior managerial role focused on coaching and mentoring team members, performing a detailed and/or general review of engagement files, assuming responsibility for personal and corporate tax returns, directly addressing complex and key areas, managing client relationships and requests, with the objective of transferring the engagement partner role for assurance and compilation engagements from the current Founder and Managing Director of the firm to the new Senior Manager.
The firm’s backoffice (bookkeeping, payroll and AP) and fractional CFO offering is a growing, in-demand segment of our professional services. You will be responsible for the design of practical workflows and internal accounting processes, quarterly reporting and business performance review for these clients.
Team resources available to you currently include a full-time Junior Manager, a Senior Accountant and a bookkeeper. The firm also works with an experienced Tax Principal who, along with the Founder, leads tax, estate planning and corporate re-organization projects for our high net worth clients. Dedicated assistance and review will be provided by the Founder on a regular and consistent basis until the successful candidate can manage engagements independently with only high-level or technical support.
Why this opportunity is unique
This is a unique opportunity within our recently founded boutique professional services firm as the successful candidate will be working closely with and directly alongside the Founder; a well-rounded professional with over 16 years of accounting, assurance and tax experience. The objective is for the Senior Manager to take over many of the Founder’s current responsibilities to allow for the Founder to focus on business development, on-boarding new clients and strategic growth initiatives.
To support the firm’s growth, we are committed to adding additional staff at junior and senior levels to maintain a healthy work/life balance for the whole team as we truly believe that human capital, specifically the knowledge, skills and mental health of our people, are our greatest and most valuable assets. Our approach towards a healthy work-life balance is deeply rooted in the philosophy of Conscious Economics.
As the Founder is also looking to expand his own involvement as a part-time CFO for select clients, there will be an extraordinary partnership opportunity for the Senior Manager who possesses all the appropriate skills.
The ideal candidate
This role will be offered to an experienced, confident, and hyper-organized CPA with exceptional technical skills and attention to detail, who can effectively manage relationships with clients, is interested in a wide variety of engagements and can take on increasing levels of responsibility.
Although assistance with business development, billing and collections is welcome, there is no requirement for the successful candidate to be involved in these roles. The emphasis is on high quality detailed review and technical competence. The firm’s Jr. Manager has excellent communication skills and enjoys managing client relationships. The Senior Manager will focus on high-value relationships.
SUMMARY OF PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES
With guidance from the Managing Director, you will be responsible for:
Management of compilation, corporate tax and assurance (review and audit) engagements
- Compilation engagements – Detailed review of compilation engagement files and financial statements, corporate tax and HST returns.
- Tax planning for owner/managers including wage/dividend determinations.
- Assurance engagements - Onboarding and planning new assurance engagements including the development of a risk-based approach and associated tailored procedures, detailed review of assurance files, preparation of financial statements including notes and disclosures and assumption of the engagement partner role for certain files.
- Managing timelines and deliverables associated with bringing in supporting documents from clients, timely preparation of engagement files and meeting tax filing deadlines.
- Coaching junior staff in the preparation of all engagements and work performed.
Our assurance practice consists mainly of review engagements, with only several special-purpose audit engagements per year. The firm’s total assurance practice is currently small compared to the extent of compilation and other engagements but is growing each year.
Individual income tax compliance and planning
- Review of T1 Individual income tax returns and related communication with clients
- Preparation/review of T1 adjustments and audit/review correspondence with CRA
- Assistance with income tax planning including re-organizations and transaction advisory
Skills and requirements
- A CPA designation and minimum 7-10 years of public accounting and/or industry experience
- Strong assurance background and accounting experience (ASPE, CAS, CSRE 2400, etc.)
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to liaise with senior client representatives
- Strong organizational and management skills – ability to multi-task and manage deadlines
- Working knowledge of all the usual software and cloud-based apps like QBO, Xero, Caseware, etc.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
This is a remote-based position (you will work from your home-office)
The Managing Director is based in the GTA, and while candidates who can meet in person may be favored, this position is not limited to the GTA. The successful candidate should be open to working from home and connecting digitally, either permanently, or for the foreseeable future.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $100,000.00-$1,000,000.00 per year
- Extended health care
- Paid time off
Supplemental pay types:
Work Location: Remote