Senior Lifeguard/Instructor (Pool)
Position Type: Temporary, Part-Time (up to 20 hours per week)
Location: Centennial Pool, Port Elgin
Salary: $26.53 to $30.15 per hour (depending on qualifications and experience)
Contract: (June 26, 2023 to September 4, 2023)
Who We Are:
The Town of Saugeen Shores (“the Town”) is a community poised for growth. We pay careful attention to all we value: our beautiful natural environment, located on the shores of Lake Huron, our waterfront and beaches, our community spirit and sense of pride, our inspired residents, and valued visitors. We are guided by our vision - Future Ready: a committed and focused team, working together to grow and continuously improve to better serve the community. We work collectively, collaboratively, and positively to benefit all who choose to visit the Town of Saugeen Shores or call it home.
At the Town of Saugeen Shores, we strive to provide an ideal environment for individuals willing to learn and advance their knowledge. We provide a friendly and fun work environment. Our goal is to attract, develop and retain a highly engaged and talented workforce, while promoting a culture based on Trust, Respect, and Teamwork.
About the Role:
We are searching for enthusiastic and dedicated individuals to join our Aquatics team. As the Senior Lifeguard/Instructor, reporting to the Aquatics Supervisor, you will ensure safe supervision and operation of the facility and programs in accordance with applicable legislation and regulations, and in coordination with the Aquatic Supervisor.
- Perform lifeguarding duties to ensure safety of patrons.
- Teach swim programs including Swim to Survive, Swim to Survive plus, school groups and swimming lessons, and advanced aquatics courses.
- Oversee lessons and program to ensure all run efficiently and to standard.
- Develop and implement plans for camps and aquatic programs.
- Mentor LITs and Aquatic instructors by advising on lifeguarding and instructing skills.
- Perform general maintenance and cleaning of the Pool including pool tests and inspections and oversee the aquatics instructors to ensure staff are completing required cleaning and inspections on an ongoing basis.
- Assist the Aquatics supervisor in feedback and evaluation of staff.
- Screen all report cards and paperwork from instructors at the end of each swimming session.
- Ensure the facility is set up for special events and advanced programs as required.
- Educate/inform all individual/groups concerning pool and equipment rules and regulations, ensuring their observance to maintain a safe, enjoyable pool environment.
- Promote water safety within the community.
- Provide first aid services as required and document accordingly.
- Respond to inquiries and concerns from the public, participants, and/or parents.
- Practice and promote excellent public relations.
- Perform other duties as trained and required.
- Current National Lifeguard certification
- Current Lifesaving Swim Instructor certification
- Current Standard First Aid certification
- Aquatic Supervisor Training (AST) certification
- Must be available for weekday and potential evening shift or weekend shift
Preferred Skills and Qualifications:
- Customer service experience
- Pool Operators 1 & 2 is an Asset
What you bring to the role:
- Adaptability: You can adapt efficiently and effectively in response to new processes and changing circumstances.
- Communication: You have proven ability to communicate successfully and confidently both verbally and in writing.
- Confidentiality: You respect and maintain confidentiality and exhibit professionalism in all interactions.
- Customer Service: You create a positive experience when interacting with customers through communication, patience, empathy, and technical knowledge.
- Interpersonal Skills: You exhibit strong interpersonal skills that allow one to work effectively with diverse stakeholders.
- Leadership: You are driven and highly motivated to lead others towards a common goal and proactively seek solutions that benefit all.
- Teamwork: You can work with others toward a shared goal. You encourage and support your colleagues by offering for help and asking for help when needed.
Application deadline: Wednesday, June 14, 2023 at 4:30 pm
The Town of Saugeen Shores is an equal opportunity employer committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. We will accommodate the needs of applicants under the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). The Town of Saugeen Shores will make every effort to accommodate applicants with disabilities in its recruitment and selection process. Please advise of any accommodation measures you may require during our selection process. Information received relating to accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.
All information collected is in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, R.S.O. 1990 and will be used for the purpose of this employment opportunity only.
Job Types: Part-time, Fixed term contract
Contract length: 3 months
Part-time hours: 20 per week
Salary: $26.53-$30.15 per hour
- Day shift
- Evening shift
- Monday to Friday
- Morning shift
- Weekend availability
Work Location: One location