Mechanical Engineer - ( 220004C8 )
Stantec Buildings is on a mission to become the world’s leading integrated design practice. Our architects, engineers, interior designers, sustainability specialists, and technologists are passionate about the power of design. We take an innovative, collaborative approach to projects, sharing a common belief that sustainable design for the built environment can make the world a better place for future generations. Join us and design your place with Stantec.
The Vancouver Civic | Industrial Studio – consisting of all key disciplines: architecture, industrial, structural, mechanical, electrical, civil, and project management – offers services for all phases of the project life cycle from pre-project planning, through detailed design, and to construction administration, commissioning, and project handover. Our professionals deliver integrated, sustainable, and practical solutions to complex industrial problems. Comprised of engineers, architects, as well as occupational health and safety professionals, we provide career opportunities as unique as you are.
This is where great ideas and rewarding careers are built. Exercising creativity and ingenuity, our team develops unique solutions for our clients that integrate people, equipment, processes, and the built environment in productive ways.
A key factor in the success of the Civic | Industrial Studio has been our commitment to a fully integrated A/E design approach where the project team – made up of clients, operators, stakeholders, and Stantec – share ideas and information freely and communicate decisions and direction quickly and effectively.
This integrated, multi-disciplinary approach provides us with a better overall understanding of the challenges and opportunities inherent in our projects. Our clients benefit from the robust, integrated design solutions that are developed and delivered. The Mechanical Engineering team is a critical component to the success of the studio, translating our clients’ needs and requirements into designs that effectively support the process and users within the facility.
Our clients come from a wide range of sectors: manufacturing, food & beverage, transit, operations & maintenance, municipal, warehousing/distribution/logistics, and national defense sectors. Some of our project types include new construction and renovation of:
- Vehicle maintenance facilities for light rail, heavy rail, bus, fleet, mining, etc.
- Warehouses, Distribution Centres, Fulfillment Centres, and Parcel Sortation Facilities
- Component manufacturing and assembly facilities
- Aircraft hangars and aircraft support facilities
- Food processing facilities
- Staff support facilities for the above facility types
- Other industrial facilities
As a Mechanical Engineer you will work with minimal supervision and direction on small- to medium-sized projects, and as a team member of a larger project under the guidance or supervision of a Senior Engineer. You will participate in the concept development, detailed design, and construction administration for the mechanical system (HVAC, Plumbing, Fire Protection, Process Piping) of a project ensuring compliance with applicable codes, engineering standards / practices, and client or project requirements.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Responsible for projects of varied (small to medium) complexity/size.
- Calculates, selects, specifies, and details all mechanical systems (HVAC, Plumbing, Fire Protection, Process Piping) for a project and assuring work is reviewed for overall technical accuracy
- Engages in the development of a design through sketches, electronic models, diagrams, and other visual formats.
- Utilizes BIM technologies in development of three-dimensional models of the building mechanical systems and provides markups or direction for junior engineers/ designers.
- Reviews documentation and communication throughout various phases of the project, including schematic design, design development, construction drawings, and construction administration.
- Leads project coordination meetings with internal team members and/or external consultants, owner and contractor, sub-contractors, and vendors.
- Participates in client project requirement meetings, performs value analysis and basic cost estimating.
- Assists upper-level staff with developing and managing the project scope, budget, staffing, resource workload, and schedule.
- Leads the preparation and coordination of the project specifications and construction documents.
- Performs and oversees the performance of calculations using company standard software, and proprietary manufacturer software.
- Utilizes advanced techniques for the analysis of specialized building mechanical elements.
- Participates in constructability review.
- Conducts quality assurance and quality control on own projects.
- Assists in the development of new standards and specifications for the mechanical group.
- Works on multiple projects.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Requisite knowledge and application of the mechanical and/or plumbing codes, energy codes, ASHRAE standards, building codes, and other relevant industry standards and regulations.
- General understanding of all phases of project document production and the relationship between drawings and specifications.
- Strong knowledge of mechanical systems, construction means and methods, materials, and industry construction standards.
- Ability to check the work of others for accuracy and completeness and manage time to meet project budget and schedule.
- Ability to participate and collaborate in project team setting and to engage in creative and critical thought.
- Thorough understanding of mechanical engineering concepts and ability to effectively communicate ideas to others. Advanced oral and written communication skills.
- Presentation and interview skills are preferred.
- Requires understanding of Microsoft Office Suite, Revit, AutoCAD; Preferred experience with Newforma, Trane Trace & HAP, BlueBeam or Adobe PDF editors
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Engineering & Licensed Professional Engineer.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience.
- LEED Green Associate or LEED AP preferred
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best. #DesignYourPlace
Benefits Summary: Regular full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
The benefits information listed above may not apply to union positions because benefits for such positions are governed by applicable collective bargaining agreements.
Primary Location : Canada-British Columbia-Vancouver
Work Locations :
Organization : BC-1156 Buildings-CA British Columbia
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : No
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Dec 22, 2022, 11:26:27 AM
Req ID: 220004C8
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans