Corporate Accountant - Halifax, NS
About High Liner Foods
High Liner Foods was founded in 1899 in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia, Canada as a small salt fish company. Lunenburg is still the current home of our Canadian Operations. As a category leader in Seafood, High Liner Foods has a strong footprint across Canada and the U.S. with close to $1 billion in sales.
High Liner Foods is the seafood brand people trust. Every day we’re Reimagining Seafood to Nourish Life through a focus on our customers, innovation, and of course, responsible operations. Our talented team is committed to the High Liner Foods goal of becoming the leader in branded, value-added seafood in North America.
We offer professional, technical and operational career opportunities across Canada and the United States. We believe in building a high-performance organization by investing in our people. We are focused on developing future leaders from within and fostering career growth and advancement.
It’s our time to make waves. Join us.
High Liner Foods is a career destination. We look for high-performing talent who value:
- Safety - it’s our #1 priority
- Opportunities to contribute to your community through volunteerism
- A culture of inclusion, support and recognition
- Senior leaders that are highly accessible and available to employees
- A strong focus on education and career development through training
- Competitive salary and performance rewards
- A comprehensive benefit plan designed to keep up with the changing healthcare needs across North America
The Corporate Accountant position is an integral part of the Corporate Finance team. This role will participate in and support month- and quarter-end close procedures, including preparing journal entries, working papers, and account reconciliations, as well as internal and external reporting. This role is responsible for the administration of corporate allocations, foreign exchange transactions, reconciliation of intercompany accounts, and accounting of pension funds and share-based compensation, including stock options. The Corporate Accountant will also work directly with external tax advisors and be responsible for internally managing Corporate tax information and compliance.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Preparation of journal entries and reconciliations related to:
- Corporate allocations
- Intercompany transactions
- Foreign exchange transactions
- Pension funds
- Share-based compensation (PSU/RSUs, etc.)
- Preparation of Consolidated Statements of Cash Flows;
- Preparation of Consolidated Statements of Accumulated Other Comprehensive Income (AOCI) and reconciliation;
- Management of the Company's tax compliance through liaison with our external tax advisors. This includes the filing of returns, facilitating preparation of tax provisions, and providing information for tax audits;
- Key contact for internal and external audits re: pension and share-based compensation;
- Assist with the budgeting and forecasting process related to the role’s responsibilities;
- Other accounting and administrative duties as required.
- Completion of a formal post-secondary Accounting program or other equivalent;
- 1-3+ years of experience in finance with strong understanding of accounting;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills of a detailed technical nature;
- Ability to effectively diagnose and troubleshoot problems and opportunities as they arise and refer to manager and other stakeholders;
- Ability to manage multiple assignments simultaneously through strong organizational skills;
- Effective time management skills with ability to meet deadlines;
- Ability to work independently as well as with a team in order to meet individual and team goals;
- Demonstrates a strong attention to detail;
- Communicates with a proactive approach by taking initiative;
- Strong work ethic and positive team attitude;
- Sound analytical thinking, planning, prioritization, and execution skills;
- Experience with JDE (E1), Reports Now, or Prism would be considered an asset;
Join Us! Apply Now
We offer a Flexible Hybrid Work Model where corporate office employees have the flexibility to choose a minimum of two office days per week, with the option to work wherever they prefer (office or remote) for the remainder of the week.
Health, Safety & Wellness
At High Liner Foods, we believe strongly in the safety and wellness of our employees. Our organization has a number of policies, programs and practices that focus on safety, wellness, health and sustainability of the overall organization.
Our process is meaningful but efficient! We want to get to know you and show you what our world is like.
Applicants who demonstrate potential will be contacted directly for a preliminary phone interview. Successful applications from this stage will participate in a behavioral-based interview with the hiring leader.
All hires are conditional upon the successful completion of references and background checks.
High Liner Foods is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity & inclusion. Applicants that require accommodation in the recruitment and selection process may contact [email protected] for assistance.
Current employees please note: this position is referral bonus eligible! See our policy for more details.