Job Number: 47749
1 temporary full-time position for 4 months intended specifically for students currently enrolled in a business analytics, computer science, or related co-op or equivalent post-secondary work experience degree program, commencing in January 2024
At the heart of the City of Edmonton is a community of city builders, problem solvers, listeners and doers. We’re a modern municipal corporation, serving nearly one million people and looking to attract and inspire one million more. With more than 300 programs and services, our work connects us to almost every aspect of Edmontonians’ daily lives. And working together, we’re building a thriving, sustainable and welcoming home for Edmontonians of today and tomorrow.
Business Intelligence and Analytics (BIA) is a Service Innovation and Performance section whose mission is to assist the City in understanding and leveraging analytics to improve outcomes for staff and citizens. BIA Team is looking for a detail-oriented student to play a crucial role in data analysis, client support and data visualizations. In this role, you will have the opportunity to advance the capabilities of a new and innovative program, the Business Census, and to enhance your analytical skills. The Business Census is a first of its kind program in Alberta and will provide data insights that were previously unavailable through conventional means. The data collected will shape how the City supports businesses, improves services and supports investment attraction.
- Assist with gathering data, data linkage, data cleansing, and report automation
- Identify opportunities for automation throughout the Business Census methodology (data cleaning, edit & imputation and analysis, with an emphasis on data linkage)
- Conduct and support requirement gathering sessions using business analysis techniques and tools
- Document business requirements, workflows, processes, designs and prototypes
- Conduct research to support the Business Census, including innovative business intelligence opportunities
- Produce visualizations, maps and dashboards using tools such as Tableau and ArcGIS online
- Assist business teams with continuous improvement initiatives around their business processes
- Develop reports and presentations for project managers and branch management
- Work alongside project managers to support the management of project resources and timelines while working effectively with multiple internal and external stakeholders
- Assist with the development of project plans and recurring project artifacts
- Perform other related duties as required
Note: This position may be a combination of working from home and on-site working conditions.
- Currently enrolled in a business analytics, computer science, or related co-op or equivalent post-secondary work experience degree program
- Ability to use Google Workspace applications
- Effective verbal and written communication skills and ability to maintain strong working relationships
- Excellent organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to conduct research and analysis with proven attention to detail
- Ability to work and make decisions in an independent manner in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to embody the “Integrated” Cultural Commitment through experience working as a part of a team
- Demonstrate alignment with the Cultural Commitments of Safe, Helpful, Accountable, Integrated and Excellent, fostering an environment for others to do the same. For more information on the City’s Cultural Commitments, please visit edmonton.ca/our-culture
- Demonstrate the foundational competencies, key behaviours and attributes of the City’s six leadership competencies: Courage, Inclusivity, Values-Based Influencer, Collaborative Networker, Systems Thinker and Creative Innovator. For more information on the City’s leadership competencies, please visit edmonton.ca/our-culture
- Additional assets include experience with any of the following: Tableau, SQL, Python, and ArcGIS Online software
- Please note, as part of your application, we ask that you attach an unofficial transcript or an enrollment verification letter (indicating you are enrolled in a co-op or related post-secondary work experience degree program). Talent sourced through this process may be considered for similar opportunities within the City.
The City of Edmonton is committed to inclusive, respectful and equitable workplaces that represent the communities we serve. We continuously improve our systems, policies and practices to remove barriers and ensure our employees, in all their diversity, can succeed. We value applicants with a diverse range of skills, experiences and competencies, and encourage you to apply. To learn more, see the Art of Inclusion: Our Diversity and Inclusion Framework and Indigenous Framework.
The City of Edmonton strives to provide reasonable access and accommodations throughout the application and selection process. If you would like to request an accommodation at any stage of the process, please contact [email protected].
Hours of Work: 33.75 hours per week, Monday - Friday
The weekly hours of work for this position are currently under review and may change at a future time. Any changes will be made in accordance with the City of Edmonton/Civic Service Union 52 collective agreement and the incumbent will be notified in advance.
Salary Range: $22.799 - $26.599 (Hourly)
Talent Diversity Consultant: JY/JF
Classification Title: Student Work Exp 4 YR Post Secondary
Posting Date: Sep 25, 2023
Closing Date: Oct 10, 2023 11:59:00 PM (MDT)
Number of Openings (up to): 1 - Student Position Full-time
Union : CSU 52
Department: Service Innovation and Performance
Work Location(s): Century Place, 17th Floor, 9803 - 102A Avenue Edmonton T5J 3A3