Job Title: HEALTH CARE AIDE
Competition #: 118501-2023-126
Ministry Unit Name: Edmonton Centre of Hope
Salary Range: $ 23.63-$25.36/hr as per Collective Agreement
Date posted: September 12, 2023
Work Address: Housing Support – Grace Village 12520-140 Avenue
Posting Expires: September 21, 2023
Applications Accepted By: E-mail only through Indeed
Mission and Values:
The Salvation Army is an international Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible; its ministry is motivated by love for God and the needs of humanity.
The Salvation Army exists to share the love of Jesus Christ, meet human needs and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world.
We are an innovative partner, mobilized to share hope wherever there is hardship, building communities that are just and know the love of Jesus.
The Salvation Army Canada and Bermuda has four core values:
Hope: We give hope through the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Service: We reach out to support others without discrimination.
Dignity: We respect and value each other, recognizing everyone’s worth.
Stewardship: We responsibly manage the resources entrusted to us.
Position Purpose summary:
The Health Care Aide (HCA) performs care tasks under the direction and instruction from the Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) and specific supervision of the Resident Care Manager (RCM). The HCA works as a member of the Interdisciplinary Team in assisting residents meet their personal care needs as outlined in resident Care Plans.
HCA provides safe and competent care within scope of practice by following the policies, procedures and the standards of care for nursing department. This includes medical assistance, utilizes proper body mechanics, perform lifts and transfers as indicated by the care plan and proper utilization of infection, prevention and control strategies.
All activities carried out by the HCA are consistent with The Salvation Army mission, values, policies and procedures.
Performing various duties which include, but are not limited to:
- Assisting residents with the activities of daily living including, but not limited to, personal care, meal/snack preparation and serving, cleanliness of resident rooms, social engagement and interaction of residents, delivering prepackaged medications to residents as outlined in the Medication Assistance Policy and Procedures Manual
- Monitors and documents vital signs, measurements and weight for assigned residents on a monthly basis and documents results
- Detailing client documentation and reporting any concerns in client’s physiological and psychological changes to the Manager
- Providing input in the evaluation of resident care
- Participating in staff development projects, in-service education classes, resident care conferences and other activities as appropriate
- Maintaining client confidentiality at all times
- Creating and assisting in recreational activities and transportation of clients for appointments
- Contributing to the improvement of the quality of life for the clients.
Qualifications and Education requirements:
*NOTE: For some jobs, you may be required to provide validated educational documentation.
- Grade 12 Diploma or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Certified Health Care Aide/Personal Care/Nursing Care Aide program (including a Medication Assistance Certification course) from a recognized and approved institution by Alberta Health Services
- Must be registered with the Alberta HCA Registry
- Standard First Aide with Level C CPR & AED
- Clear Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Check
- Valid Alberta Driver’s License & Clear Driver’s Abstract
- 1 year experience in a supportive living setting is preferred
- Experience working in the mental health and addictions field is considered an asset
- Excellent oral, written, and organizational skills
- Able to balance numerous demands and conflicting priorities
- Be able to relate well to people and function well under pressure
- Demonstrate knowledge of the Protection for Persons in Care Act
DAYS and HOURS of work: Casual
The Salvation Army will accommodate candidates as required under applicable human rights legislation. If you require a disability-related accommodation during this process, please inform us of your requirements.
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
Job Type: Casual
Salary: $23.63-$25.36 per hour
- Dental care
- Flexible schedule
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- Vision care
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Evening shift
- Monday to Friday
- Night shift
- Weekends as needed
- HCA Alberta Registry (required)
- Standard First Aid (required)
- Basic Life Support certification (required)
Work Location: In person
Application deadline: 2023-09-21