Position: Kids Lead / Festival Support
Reporting to: Race Director & Festival Manager
Type of work : General Event Production
A worldwide leader in endurance sports, Spartan is a high-growth, international organization that owns and operates mass-participation athletic events under the brands Spartan®, Tough Mudder®, Spartan Trail®, Hurricane Heat, and DEKA. Furthermore, we offer numerous related fitness, health and nutrition services and products. With 250 events across more than 40 countries on six continents, Spartan is the world's leading extreme wellness and endurance brand. Spartan caters to individuals looking to test their physical limits through obstacle course racing and change their frame of reference for what they can accomplish. From everyday people looking to get off the couch and lead an active lifestyle, to elite endurance athletes who seek the ultimate physical test, there is room for everyone.
Benefits of working at Spartan:
- Get paid to travel throughout Canada and put on life changing events
- All inclusive travel expenses included
- Meals and accommodations included
- Break away from your typical 9-5 and experience working outdoors with like minded individuals
- Experience the rewarding, high paced environment of event production
- Culture of camaraderie, accountability and empowerment
As the Kids Lead / Festival Support you will report directly to the Race Director & Festival Manager . Your responsibilities will be in direct supervision of the Kids Race in all matters pertaining to course development, course set up, building obstacles, marking course, race day operations, tear-down, packing all kids course material, and clean up.
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
- Kids course development and marking
- Lifting heavy obstacle parts, fencing, tents, and equipment
- Driving tent stakes, grade stakes, rebar into the ground with a sledgehammer or mallet
- Setting up fence lines, blow up arches, tents and tables
- Load/unload trailers, transport and build festival components using heavy equipment.
- Setting up barrier jackets and blade flags (branding)
- Building the Kids course start and finish line areas
- Coordinating and managing Kids course race day operations
- Breaking down Kid course obstacles, tents, fencing, flags, and barrier jackets
- Packing obstacles for transport
- Remove all course tape and course marking stakes
- Remove and discard all trash.
- Neatly packing all remaining Kids course equipment into Kids crates
- Supervising and training Kids Support staff members and Volunteers
- Work in poor weather, long hours, and fast-paced challenging conditions.
- Adherence to all safety laws and regulations at work including Spartan policies
- Assist in the load-in/load-out phases of event production.
- While in the Festival Support role, you will report directly to the onsite Festival Manager and perform all duties and tasks assigned.
- Manage and oversee the completion of obstacles with build crew
- Proven leadership and management abilities
- Proven success in a rapidly changing, high operational tempo work environment.
- Have a proven attention to detail and ability to multitask
- Be proficient with the entire Microsoft Office Suite and cloud based computing software packages (Google Drive, Google Earth, Sketch-Up, etc).
- Have experience operating four-wheel drive and construction type machinery, or be willing to learn
- Must be able to manage people with an efficient approach to accomplishing mission and critical tasks
- Be capable of working closely with children
- Be comfortable traveling for periods of time, amounting to two weeks at a time
- Be prepared and comfortable with working outside in austere weather
- Be physically capable of working long hours 12+ days consecutively
- Be willing to learn the proper procedures set in place, in regard to Kids course build, obstacle construction, safety, while maintaining an analytical and problem-solving mindset to improve these procedures
Qualities required of all Spartan team members:
Spartan Race is a high-performance organization, and successful team members must therefore possess a strong work ethic and hands-on approach to business. We are innovative, create inventive solutions, and are exceptionally service minded. Team members at Spartan change lives, and have a passion for the organization. Paramount to our organization is the maturity to embrace ambiguity and ability to adapt according to the market and the continuing innovation of the organization.
- Ability to hold one-self accountable and an aptitude for prioritizing multiple projects
- Strong sense of teamwork with the ability to foster relationships
- Proactive, solutions-oriented; capability to identify efficiencies and decrease costs while maintaining a quality workplace environment and product
- Collegial approach to a business environment and cooperative work style
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
Job Types: Seasonal, Part-time, Fixed term contract
Contract length: 3 months
Salary: $250.00 per day
- 12 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability
COVID-19 protocols will be communicated to all staff.
- What type of experience do you have working with youth and for how many years?
- event: 1 year (preferred)
- Childcare: 1 year (preferred)
Willingness to travel:
Work Location: On the road
Expected start date: 2023-08-01