Located at 3099 Barrington Street in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3K 5M7, and 35 Micmac Boulevard, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3A 4Y8, Irving Shipbuilding is proud to be Canada’s National Shipbuilder. Over the next 30 years, our shipbuilders will construct 20+ modern patrol ships and surface combatants for the Royal Canadian Navy as part of the largest defence procurement project in Canadian history.
We have built more than 80% of Canada's current combatant fleet and continue to perform maintenance and modernization work on these vessels. We are committed to building the best ships, with the best workforce in the best facilities. By joining our team of more than 2,300 shipbuilders, you can enjoy a dynamic, diverse, and family-friendly career with a company dedicated to your success, learning, health, wellness, and safety.
At Irving Shipbuilding, we’re making history – why not make it with us? Learn more about careers at Irving Shipbuilding: shipsforcanada.ca/opportunities.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is seeking a Manager, Supply Chain.
This is a permanent full-time role based in Halifax Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia. The primary language of work is English. We encourage applications from qualified African Nova Scotians, racially visible persons, women (applying for non-traditional positions), persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons and persons of the 2SLGBTQ+ community. ISI encourages applicants to self-identify in the cover letter/resume portion of your application. Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment where all employees feel supported and valued. ISI is committed to working towards a barrier-free workplace and to expanding the accessibility of the workplace to persons with disabilities. Candidates who require accommodation during the selection process are invited to contact [email protected].
The Supply Chain Manager is responsible for the management of equipment, hardware, and other logistical details of a company, or a company’s division. It is their job to manage all of the steps needed to purchase raw materials, deliver it to various points throughout the business, ensure that the company makes enough of its product to meet customer demand, and deliver the output to the right destinations on time.
- Education: University Degree
- Experience: 7-10 years of relevant work experience
- Experience in modern Shipbuilding, heavy engineering, capital projects, or Defense would be an advantage
- Excellent numeracy, business acumen, financial analysis and IT skills
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced and diverse business
- Excellent communications skills / Negotiating and influencing skills
- Experience working with multi-million-dollar contracts involving risk management
- Professional expertise and leadership with strong attention to detail
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
- Plan / strategy
- Executes the business plan objectives by working proactively with team and peer groups
- Plans, organizes, directs, manages and evaluates the material management activities
- Develops analytics, systems and data management capabilities, including metrics and reports
- Sourcing material
- Builds relationships internally and externally with suppliers, vendors and customers
- Oversees the purchasing, shipping, logistics, receiving and material handling of the organization
- Manages and / or executes procurement related functions (e.g., develop and implement contract management and procurement frameworks, sourcing strategies, negotiate agreements, draft and manage contracts, etc.)
- Productivity / efficiency
- Ensures that all transactions are kept current, recorded accurately, and processed efficiently
- Ensures that all transactions are representative of the reality of the business and that any estimates are made with consistently applied, business-reasonable rationale.
- Conducts investigations to determine causes of material management related incidents and to improve safety procedures
- Leads a team of direct reports including training, setting expectations and holding team members accountable, including progressive discipline
- Develops key performance indicators to measure the effectiveness of the material management operations
- Understands customers’ needs, service those needs, and maintain and develop positive business relationships with a customer’s key personnel involved in or directly relevant to supply chain activities
- Manages contractor and subcontractor activities by reviewing proposals, developing performance specifications, and serving as a liaison with the organizations
What We Offer:
Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to:
- A flexible medical, dental, and vision plan
- Employee & Family Assistance Programs
- RRSP matching program
- Health & Wellness reimbursements
- Opportunities to take part in job related training and development
- Growth and progression opportunities within Irving Shipbuilding and the larger network of the JD Irving group of companies
- Relocation costs (if eligible)
Please be advised that some positions within our business have been designated as ‘Safety Sensitive’ where the employee holding the position has a heightened responsibility for his/her own safety or the safety of others due to the nature of the job. If this is the case, you will be informed in the interview process.
For further details, please contact Talent Acquisition at [email protected].
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
All applications will be reviewed by one of our recruiters. If the recruiter sees a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacted to discuss your qualifications for a position with Irving Shipbuilding.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes