Regulatory Affairs Manager
Based out of Burlington, Ontario or Vaudreuil-Dorion, Quebec (Hybrid / Flexibility Policy)
Industrial Chemicals, Mining, Oil & Gas, HI&I, Chemical Adhesives, Coatings, Food, Nutritional Ingredients and much more.
We are seeking a Regulatory Affairs Manager to join our Regulatory Affairs Team that spans our Canadian and US portfolio. The ideal candidate will have experience industrial chemical industry. Reporting to the Director, Compliance, the Regulatory Affairs Manager plays a key role in expanding Quadra’s portfolio of products in Canada and in the United-States. This person will be responsible for managing the activities of his or her team while leading the new products screening procedures in order to meet our effective compliance program.
As a strong regulatory manager, you will bring your comprehensive knowledge of regulatory compliance, meticulous attention to detail, and strong analytical skills to ensure our organization's adherence to regulatory requirements. In this role, you will have the opportunity to lead and inspire a talented team, fostering a culture of excellence and driving successful outcomes. By joining our team as a Regulatory Affairs Manager, you will be instrumental in shaping the future of our organization and making a positive difference for our valued clients.
About your future team
At Quadra, we put people first so that together, we can reimagine the possibilities.
Based in Burlington, Ontario or Vaudreuil-Dorion, Quebec, our modern head office is home to over a hundred fun-loving professionals. Of course, you can always take advantage of our hybrid telecommuting policy. Founded over 45 years ago, Quadra is dedicated to its 550+ employees located in Canada and the United States. Quadra Chemicals is one of the largest distributors of chemicals and ingredients in the Canadian marketplace. With multiple facilities across Canada, we are committed to delivering excellence in everything we do. We are a rapidly growing company with a long-term commitment to our employees. If you are committed to excellence, you belong at Quadra. At Quadra, we have created an environment where people are a priority and opportunities are growing. Our culture based on our core values of entrepreneurship, innovation and caring make us an employer of choice.
We believe in fostering a work environment that challenges and empowers individuals, providing ample opportunities for personal growth and development. We recognize and celebrate outstanding performance, ensuring that your dedication and achievements are duly acknowledged.
What will you bring to the team?
You would be responsible for:Team Management:
- A strong technical knowledge of pertinent government regulations and associated compliance requirements as well as insight in determining compliance pathways for new business areas developed by the company
- Being an active member with industry associations, including, but not limited to, participation on the Responsible Distribution Canada’s and NACD
- Excels in managing priorities, is resourceful and a relationship-builder
- Being known as a positive leader that works well with cross-functional teams (QA, Sales, Operations, etc.)
- Being acknowledged by peers as an expert in order to respond to external requests related to regulatory affairs
- Excellent communicator, focused on customer service, curious and eager to achieve excellence for his/her team
- Strong attention to detail, accuracy and precision
- A passion for the industry with a desire to share with your peers
- Leading day-to-day Regulatory Affairs compliance activity regarding pertinent chemical, food and pharmaceutical regulations as they apply to the Canadian and US chemical distribution industry sector
- Leading department workflow to ensure a structured approach to compliance activity
- Ensuring that regulatory compliance activity meets all government requirements, and that department output is meeting Quadra’s commercial needs for efficient integration of compliance oversight in business operations
- Supervision of team members; establish departmental goals, action plans and strategies as well as mentoring/coaching, managing performance, hiring, onboarding, etc.
- Work in collaboration with the Director, Compliance Assurance to establish department goals and objectives
New Product Regulatory Evaluation and Set-Up, Ongoing Regulation Compliance:
- Development and implementation of efficient Regulatory Affairs procedures to determine the CEPA/TSCA status of all new products and the identity of product ingredients
- Mentoring the Regulatory Affairs team regarding CEPA new substance screening activities
- Managing new product screening procedures that encompass compliance with many other product use regulations which reflect the wide diversity of industry sectors served: Food & Drugs Act and associated regulations, Transportation of Dangerous Goods Regulations, Drug Precursor Regulations, Explosive Regulations, WHMIS/GHS and additional Quadra internal requirements such as product High Risk classification
- Management of new product set-up workflow to facilitate a robust and efficient compliance program
- Product Registration Activity: Preparation and submission of pertinent product use approval submissions (i.e. NSN, fertilizers, animal feeds, pesticides, biocides, Food & Drug related use approvals, etc.)
- Management of regulation compliance (for existing regulations) to include procedure revisions when regulations are updated
CEPA and TSCA Substances Management
- Monitoring of Canada Gazette and other industry association resources to identify government mandated reporting activities associated with chemical product importation and sales
- Supervising Quadra Significant New Activity Canada (SNAC) and Significant New Use (SNAN) submission activities
Product Safety – WHMIS 2015 and US GHS Compliance
- Ensuring software resources are kept current and operating at full efficiency
- Management of product safety workflow to facilitate priority requirements
- Communicating with Quadra employees to ensure their awareness of system tools, including training requirements regarding the WHMIS 2015 and US GHS hazard communication system
- Assist in the preparation and presentation of ad hoc and routine department and management reports including compiling Chemical Data Reports (CDR)
How will you be successful in this Regulatory Affairs Manager role?
- Possessing a master’s degree in strategic management, business administration or a Graduate certificate in Regulatory Affairs would be considered as an asset
- Bachelor's degree in Chemistry, Life Sciences, or any related field to science industry
- Minimum of 10-12 years of experience as a Regulatory Affairs Manager, Regulatory Affairs Supervisor, or other experience in the field of expertise with at least 8 years in the pharmaceutical, food ingredients or chemical industry (manufacturing or distribution)
- Thorough knowledge of regulatory affairs requirements for chemical industrial, energy and/or mining
- Proven experience in team management/leadership including performance management, recruitment, coaching and mentoring
- Strong knowledge of the Canadian Environmental Protection Act (CEPA) and the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA)
- Strong knowledge of Environment Canada’s new and existing substance programs and their various initiatives (Chemical Management Plan, Section 71 mandatory surveys, voluntary surveys, DSL updates, etc.) and required compliance requirements
- Knowledge of WHMIS 2015 regulations the associated classification criteria and system elements including WHMIS ingredient trade secret submissions
- Advanced knowledge of Canadian and US federal and provincial requirements
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, primarily in English. Bilingualism (French and English) will be mandatory to work from our Vaudreuil Office
- Advanced experience with the Office Suite as well as hands-on practical experience with Salesforce would be an asset
- Open to travel between Burlington and Vaudreuil if needed (Limited travel, less than 10%)
At Quadra, we offer not only an engaging culture, a collaborative, family-oriented and supportive environment, but also plenty of autonomy and flexibility. We also offer you the opportunity to be part of a professional, fun, innovative and committed team in a growing, people-oriented, Great Place to Work® certified organization. In addition to being Great Place to Work® certified, Quadra has been recognized as one of the Best Managed Companies for over 20 years and as a Great Place to Work for Women®! You will work with dynamic colleagues who are eager to share their knowledge with you.
Benefits for choosing Quadra?
- Enjoy a permanent full-time position with stability
- Benefit from a competitive salary and an enticing performance incentive program
- Receive excellent benefits coverage (dental, medical, and much more!)
- Programs offered to employees to improve their quality of life (Wellness Portfolio)
- Virtual care/telemedicine for you and your loved ones; 24/7 access to a physician
- Virtual wellness and mental health programs with a global healthcare leader
- Retirement plan with a match and several long-term investment programs
- Take advantage of personal, & flexible days as well as vacation time
- Telecommuting and flexibility within the organization
- Experience a great work environment every day where caring for each other and having fun are integral to our core values
- Be part of a company that promotes diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Digital environment
- Customized training built for you
- Opportunities for advancement and professional development; a growing company that focuses on its people!
- Participate in various internal and external trainings
- Possibility of joining various company committees
- Engage in social activities organized by the company
- Employee recognition program (years of service, merit awards, etc.)
- Private and family-owned company with a solid infrastructure
- Employee assistance program (EAP)
- Monthly cell phone & internet allowance
- And much more!
If you are ready to unlock your potential, make a meaningful impact, and embark on a rewarding career in Regulatory Affairs, we warmly invite you to submit your resume, highlighting your experience and enthusiasm for this field. Let us join forces to redefine excellence in customer service, shaping a brighter future for Quadra and our esteemed clients.
Quadra supports and values diversity and offer equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status and gender identity. Quadra also welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. We recognize that some people do not identify themselves as either male or female. Therefore, whenever possible, we have opted for a gender-neutral (or gender-neutral) wording in a non-discriminatory spirit.