| WHO WE ARE
Rhyzome Networks is an affiliate company of Festival Hydro Inc. Both companies collectively serve over 22,000 customers in seven municipalities. Rhyzome Networks operates fibre optic and wireless networks throughout Stratford and St. Marys. Wholly owned by the City of Stratford, Rhyzome is critical to the City’s strategy to establish Stratford as a digital technology centre and internationally recognized intelligent community.
| WHAT THE OPPORTUNITY IS
The Systems Administrator is a full time member of the team, reporting to the IT Manager. The incumbent will interact with internal and external clients and vendors to ensure our systems, services and applications are operational, optimized, and secure. While this role is responsible for overseeing key points of infrastructure, we are a small team and require a wide variety of both operational and project support.
| WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
Responsibilities include (but may not be limited to):
- Maintain, monitor, and support infrastructure environments and data center facilities as well as technologies such as Windows Server, Linux, Microsoft 365, databases (multiple platforms).
- Windows laptop/desktop systems backups.
- Installation of software, upgrades, security patches, adhering to our internal patch policy and performing quality assurance of all updates or changes before they are approved for production.
- Assume ownership and respond to incidents, problems, perform root cause analysis and implement improvements to maintain service performance for all users.
- Provide expert knowledge of server computing, virtual environments, and cloud-based infrastructure and serve as a subject matter expert to peers and management.
- Evaluate new and evolving technologies, proposing solutions, and providing recommendations for continuous improvements.
- Conduct complex technical evaluations, analyze business needs, and recommend proposed physical and logical designs for new and existing infrastructure.
- Produce infrastructure-related scripts to automate manual tasks plus streamline operational activities; make recommendations for solutions where internal automation is not cost-effective.
- Develop, implement, maintain, and oversee the enforcement of policies, processes, and associated plans for the system operation and security, based on business requirements and industry best practices.
- Out of hours support for Rhyzome customers and FHI employees will be required as a function of this role. This will require being on call on a rotational basis.
| WHO YOU ARE
Strong communicator and team player
- Ability to communicate effectively in technical and non-technical terms (including with non-technical colleagues)
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (verbal, written, and listening)
- Ability to effectively communicate with team members to derive problems/determine needs
- Ability to work independently and effectively as part of a team
Curious and continuous learner
- Continuous drive for learning, pushing technical limits, and finding new solutions
- Ability and willingness to learn new domain-specific knowledge quickly and accurately
Creative and resourceful problem solver
- Strong sense of creativity when developing solutions to deal with multiple types of issues
- Ability to show versatility and resourcefulness when problem solving
Detail oriented with a high standard of excellence
- Willingness to show flexibility, adaptability, and organization in accepting and prioritizing multiple tasks with varying deadlines and importance
- Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills
- Detail oriented, ensuring accuracy of information, and diligence in documentation
| WHAT YOU’LL BRING
- Post-secondary education in the field of IT (Computer programming, Computers systems Technician, Computer Science, IT Infrastructure), or related experience and certifications
2 -3 years experience with:
- Server-based computing, virtualization platforms (ProxMox, KVM, QEMU, Hyper-V) and cloud-based infrastructure, as well as a good understanding of industry trends including I/O virtualization and clustered storage
- Administration of Windows Server OS, Linux OS (Ubuntu, Debian, CentOS), Unix/Linux File Systems and volume management, Ceph storage platform, Active Directory, Group Policy, DHCP, DNS and clustering
- Scripting, automation, and orchestration technologies and languages such as Bash, PowerShell, Python, Ansible, Python etc.
- Experience with databases (SQL, MySQL, Postgres)
Considered an asset:
- Advanced networking knowledge (including comfort with complex networks)
- Security knowledge (certification or demonstrated) and working knowledge of security and vulnerability management tools and best practices
- Valid Class G license and clear driver’s abstract
| WANT TO JOIN US?
Interested candidates may apply by emailing their resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 29, 2023. Please reference “Systems Administrator” in the subject line. We thank all applicants for their interest but advise only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Rhyzome Networks is committed to fairness and equity in employment and our recruitment and selection practices. Accommodations are available during all aspects of the recruitment process. Applicants contacted for an interview are asked to make their needs known in advance.
Job Type: Full-time
- Company events
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision care
- Wellness program
- Work from home
Flexible Language Requirement:
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- On call
- system administration: 2 years (preferred)
- Ontario driver's license (preferred)
Ability to Commute:
- Stratford, ON N5A 2M6 (required)
Work Location: Hybrid remote in Stratford, ON N5A 2M6
Application deadline: 2023-09-29