Who are we?
UNFI Canada is the leading distributor of natural, organic, and specialty foods! We transform the world of food for our associates, customers, and the families we serve everyday! Our mission is simple: to provide healthier food choices to people everywhere.
Better Food, Better Future!
If YOU are a Safety Management professional who is passionate about people, process improvement, OH&S, (AND loves food as much as we do!), this opportunity at UNFI may be right for you. Read on!
Position: Manager, Environmental Health & Safety
Job Type: Full Time Permanent
Schedule: Monday-Friday (and weekends, if needed)
Language Requirements: English
Working Conditions: On-site (5 days a week)
Location: Richmond, B.C.
The Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) Manager supports the UNFI teams to deliver on a critical UNFI value: “Do the Right Thing – Put Safety and Integrity at the Forefront of Everything We Do.” This role is responsible for ensuring the execution of UNFI Canada’s EHS strategy and goals in a fast paced and complex environment. This role will serve as a key advisor on EHS matters for the 2 main Canadian Distribution Center (DC) stakeholders including but not limited to operations, human resources, claims and security/loss prevention leaders. This role will develop, implement, and maintain the EHS management system.
- Ensure execution of an EHS management system including annual plans, standardized national programs/policies/procedures, external and internal auditing, and management reports showing leading and lagging metrics.
- Monitor, interpret, and assess existing or emerging EHS laws, regulations, regulatory policies, and industry practices; determine operational and business impacts, and develop, integrate, communicate, and execute strategies to effectively manage EHS outcomes.
- Execute standardized EHS systems, policies, training, safety campaigns and programs to reduce risk, and ensure compliance with federal, provincial, and local laws.
- Partner and collaborate with all functional leaders to influence and manage EHS resources, projects, and business decisions.
- Create a network of internal (operations, human resources, finance, claims and security/loss prevention) and external alliances (industry partners, safety groups) to develop and implement EHS policies, programs, procedures, standards, training, and processes.
- Design and execute injury prevention programs/initiatives to motivate and influence the creation of a world class safety culture and minimize injury risk.
- Implement standardized and actionable EHS metrics and communication protocols to leadership teams to drive continuous EHS improvement.
- Analyze and identify trends that increase injury and accident frequency/severity; develop and direct the implementation of training programs using the appropriate media.
- Collaborate with Federal, Provincial, and local regulatory officials to resolve compliance or practice violations.
- Drive the continued development of a world class safety culture by assessing, monitoring, and developing culture- specific initiatives and engaging stakeholders at all levels of the organization.
- Support environmental compliance and claims programs.
- Analyze and communicate annual EHS targets. Coordinate with analytics team to ensure monthly EHS metrics are accurate.
- Performs other job duties as required.
- Bachelor's degree with major course work in EHS, risk management or a closely related field is required.
- CRSP (Canadian Registered Safety Professional) designation is highly desirable.
- Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) or other professionally recognized certifications in EHS (ISO 14001 / ISO 45001) are highly desirable.
- Min. 4-5 years of progressive EHS program management experience with a large organization.
- Experience actively working with stakeholders at all levels of the organization to strategically solve problems, manage projects, drive performance while maintaining long-term strategies.
- Excellent ability to develop and present business plans and strategies to influence company decision makers.
- Ability to coordinate planning and collaboration with other business functions in a way that is mutually beneficial and drives continuous improvement.
- Ability to drive a strong safety philosophy and implement programs designed to effectively change behavior and prevent injury using data and research-driven methods.
- Ability to analyze and independently resolve a vareity of difficult situations and problems using timely decision making.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; ability to interact and influence effectively with all levels of management, employees, and customers and experience collaborating with unions.
- Strong background in warehouse/distribution safety.
- Knowledge of applicable OSHA, Root Cause Investigation, Incident Investigation procedures, Hazard Assessment, Job Safety Assessment, Ministry of Transportation and EPA rules and regulations.
- Broad working knowledge of Federal, Provincial, and local EHS laws and regulations.
Physical Environment / Demands:
- Travel is required to Canada DCs.
- Most work is performed in a temperature-controlled office environment and/or daily travel required to visit accounts. May travel overnight to attend trade shows.
- Incumbent may be sitting for long periods of time at desk, computer terminal or while driving.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear.
- Incumbent may use calculators, keyboards, telephone and other office equipment in the course of normal workday.
- Stooping, bending, twisting, and reaching may be required in completion of job duties.
Reasons to Apply. Reasons to stay at UNFI Canada:
- Base salary offered
- Health and Dental benefits package offered on your first day!
- Paid vacation and sick days!
- Retirement Savings Plan offered after 6 months of service!
- Employee discount program on natural and organic foods!
- Friendly and helpful team!
- And last, but not least, the opportunity to be part of a meaningful organization that does meaningful work! Join UNFI's journey on providing healthier food choices to consumers everywhere! #Betterforall #Delivertogether
UNFI believes in a diverse and accommodating workplace. UNFI encourages and promotes applications from all qualified individuals, regardless of gender, age, race, ethnicity, disability or otherwise. UNFI is committed to providing full accommodation for persons with disabilities in all active processes and procedures including but not limited to the recruitment process. To request any accommodation you may require to participate in the recruitment process (including alternative formats of materials or accessible meeting rooms), please contact the main recruiting contact for the position or Human Resources to discuss your specific needs.
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
Salary: $80,000.00-$90,000.00 per year
- Company events
- Dental care
- Discounted or free food
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- Store discount
- Vision care
- Wellness program
- Monday to Friday
- On call
- Weekends as needed
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Richmond, BC: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Health & Safety: 4 years (required)
- CRSP (Canadian Registered Safety Professional) (preferred)
- CIH (Certified Industrial Hygienist) (preferred)
Work Location: In person