- Analysis of energy usage and historical data to determine system failures and opportunities for improvement.
- Working with contractors on new buildings and retrofit projects to ensure optimal system performance during the commissioning phase.
- Monitoring and reading energy meters (Gas/Hydro) to implement changes that reduce energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions.
- Management, programming, and design of all energy dash boards that display utility and energy consumption data on campus
- Control system design or design assist on HVAC, lighting, Intrusion, Access Control, VMS, and Intercom projects.
- Calculating control system requirements for small projects or working with design team to develop engineered drawing sets on large installation projects.
- Provide specification for control system equipment and scope of work preparation.
- Coordinates, investigates, and makes recommendations concerning hardware and software product evaluations, purchases, design, and development methodologies and/or systems.
- Devises, designs, develops, and implements new systems including: testing, prototyping, integrating, templating, and security.
- Participate in the integrated design process by reviewing drawings and attending design meetings for capital projects.
- Assist design and engineering teams with sustainable design strategies and technologies for buildings and sites.
- Program building system controllers to operate as required using logic based functions, programming with basic and overall network programming/configuration.
- Implement graphical changes to any visual displays showing building automation systems.
- 3D rendering and animation of automation system graphics, dashboards, and floor plans.
- Maintain and update CAD drawings and databases for as-built purposes.
- Create CAD drawings for wiring layouts.
- Programming/ configuration of intrusion systems, VMS, access control and intercom systems.
- Administration of servers and client PC’s; including installation, configuration and updating of building automation software.
- Prepare contracts and drawings for new and retrofit building automation systems installations.
- Fulfills contract administration and project management roles to ensure jobs are completed as per specifications.
- Provides leadership of medium to large project(s) and teams, which encompasses: performing business and systems analysis, acting as a mentor and a technical consulting expert
- Estimates, plans, schedules, coordinates, and tracks the work of a team or co-workers and leads them to attainment of performance and quality objectives.
- Supervises team members, external vendors and/or external contractors to ensure all specifications are met.
- Participates in all phases of project life cycles.
- Provides administration of campus services and functions which could include: building system networks & communications, data management, documentation, development, infrastructure, security, budgets, or contracts.
- Develops and maintains support documentation for: policies; contingency plans; architecture principles, applications, and information; network infrastructure and databases; inventory and technical files.
- Participates in the development and/or modification of policies, procedures, and standards.
- Conducts meetings, presentations, classes and/or training seminars.
- Supervision of repair, installation and troubleshooting of computer-based building automation systems.
- Installs, tests, and troubleshoots new or existing hardware and/or software concerns including: operating systems, firmware and programs for new requirements and preventative maintenance alike.
- Supports and maintains a wide variety of electronic, electromechanical and microprocessor controlled equipment used for environmental and security purposes, diagnosing causes of malfunctions, performing component level repairs and modifications and/or arranging for servicing.
- Hiring of qualified service contractors to perform required work.
- Post-graduate degree in a related discipline from a recognized institution plus 2 years of directly related experience, or
- Professional degree in a related discipline from a recognized institution plus 3 years of directly related experience, or
- Undergraduate degree in a related discipline from a recognized institution plus 4 years of directly related experience, or
- Accredited Institutional diploma in Mechanical, Electrical, Instrumentation or Electronic Engineering from a recognized institution plus 5 years of directly related experience, including: an extensive knowledge and understanding of multiple areas such as: HVAC control, access control, intrusion systems or video management systems.
- Must have Class ‘M’ electrical license or an acceptable equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- P. Eng, CET, C. Tech or equivalent combination of training and experience.
- PMP Designation considered an asset.
- Minimum three (3) years demonstrated experience in maintenance, repair, replacement, upgrading, and remediation of existing building automation systems.
- Minimum two (2) years demonstrated experience in the management of design, installation, construction, commissioning, budget control, estimating.
- Minimum three (3) years demonstrated experience in project management.
- Demonstrated knowledge of project management principles.
- Minimum three (3) years demonstrated ability to prepare reports which includes preparation of contract documents and detailed business plans for major replacement or refurbishment which includes cost reduction strategies and payback.
- Demonstrated ability to plan short term preventative maintenance work and long-term capital renewal.
- Demonstrate ability in budget preparation and control including financial tracking and cost estimating.
- Demonstrated ability to read, interpret, prepare, and revise drawings and/or blueprints.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the public and fellow co-workers.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and organize work effectively.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a minimum of supervision, expedite and resolve issues, make accurate decisions and recommendations.
- Demonstrated ability to keep records and prepare written reports.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to use hand tools, power tools, and complex measuring instruments.
- Knowledge of applicable codes and regulations.
- Must be physically capable of performing the duties of this position.
An equivalent combination of education, experience, skills, knowledge and abilities may be considered.
Condition(s) of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
The salary range for this position is from $90,572.05 - $96,468.66 annually.
Note: The work described in this posting will be conducted in-person.
The University of Winnipeg is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion and recognizes that a diverse staff and faculty benefits and enriches the work, learning and research environments, and is essential to academic and institutional excellence. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals and encourage women, racialized persons, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and 2SLGBTQ+ persons to confidentially self-identify at time of application.
The University of Winnipeg is committed to ensuring employment opportunities are accessible for all applicants. If you require accommodation supports during the recruitment process, please contact [email protected].
The personal information of applicants is collected under the authority of the University of Winnipeg Act and 36(1)(b) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. All personal information collected via the recruitment process is used to assess the applicant’s suitability, eligibility, and qualifications for employment, and to otherwise support recruitment activities. This information will be provided to participating members of the recruitment process. Questions regarding the collection of your personal information may be directed to the Director, HR Services, 515 Portage Avenue, Winnipeg, MB, R3B 2E9 or [email protected].
The University of Winnipeg has a Mandatory COVID-19 Vaccination Policy that requires all those coming to designated indoor campus spaces to provide proof they are fully vaccinated. The Policy was suspended effective May 2, 2022. However, prospective employees should know that the Policy may be reinstated in the future based on changing public health circumstances.