The Data Architect is a critical role in BURNCO organization and responsible for developing and managing the data platform and architecture that supports BURNCO’s overall business strategy and maximize value. The role of the Data Architect is to enable business and IT leaders to make decisions through the insights and intelligence leveraging the data. The expectation is that the Data Architect will work with and challenge the status quo to drive decisions and insights. Data Architect will report to the Director of Data and Analytics.
- Responsible for the overall end-to-end data architecture including data framework/foundation, ingestion, transformation, data modeling, consumption, security, accessibility, accuracy and governance to address the business user data requirements
- Manage and enhance the data architecture aligning with the overall BURNCO business strategy, goals and vision.
- Develop and implement architectural patterns, standards, principles, policies, and guidelines
- Contribute towards the development of data strategy from architectural standpoint
- Partner with business and technology subject-matter experts to elicit and translate business requirements into scalable fit-for-purpose technology solutions.
- Approve modification or exceptions to the data architecture to accommodate business needs, and technological and budgetary constraints.
- Lead and guide the data team to serve reporting requirements
- Work on the data model hands-on – own, manage and enhance as needed to enable the business requirements
- Work on data ingestion and data transformation hands-on including developing data pipelines, API’s, data transformations
- Advise on options, risks, costs versus benefits, system impacts, and technology priorities.
- Research and evaluate opportunities from emerging technology, industry, and market trends.
- Evaluate COTS products for ability to meet business requirements, conformance to established security, interoperability standards, and alignment with data architecture roadmap
- Develop and implement security architecture for data
- Master’s or bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Information Systems, or System Analysis.
- 10+ years of deep technical experience in data architecture – architecture, data modeling, data ingestion, data transformation, business intelligence, data security and data integrity.
- 4+ years of experience and demonstrated knowledge of cloud architecture and implementation features with a heavy emphasis on snowflake
- Project Management experience desired.
- Certifications in more than one data technologies such as snowflake
- Deep hands-on expertise in data modeling and using tools such as ERWin
- Deep hands-on expertise in data transformation and tools & technologies such as PL/SQL, Informatica
- Deep hands-on expertise in data ingestion and various ingestions patterns such as CDC, batch, streaming, APIs
- Background in software engineering or technical product management with cloud and machine learning/AI technologies is desired
- Experience evaluating data platforms, tools and technologies and providing recommendations that align with BURNCO’s strategy and goals
- Experience in Fivetran, Coalesce, Visualcron desired
- Expertise in Microsoft Office Suite including Visio and MS Project.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Exceptional ability to inspire others with impactful communications and adapts to the audience through speech and writing
- Strong presentation skills with ability to present ideas in user-friendly language to all levels of the company including executives.
- Set goals that are consistent with BURNCO's plan and takes responsibility for achieving results
- Share timely information within and across functions to get things done effectively
- Demonstrate analytical thinking and a broad vision when making decisions
- Address risks in a timely manner to eliminate them
- Innovate through problem solving
- Possess organizational, time-management and prioritizing competencies
- Excellent cross-functional leadership and collaboration skills with the ability to translate business strategy into actionable goals.
COMPETITIVE SALARIES……Worth it!!
PERFORMANCE INCENTIVES……They rock!!
GREAT BENEFITS......Count on it!!
CHANCE TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE……Absolutely!!
Since 1912, BURNCO has been supplying aggregate construction materials as a successful, family-run business based in Calgary. Over the last 110 years we have embraced innovative technology and new marketplaces while always maintaining the vision and values that were first introduced by our founder, James F. Burns. Today we continue our unwavering commitment to safety, our renewed focus on family leadership and our steady, dependable growth into the future. We look forward to having you join us on that journey.