Located one and a half hours west of Ottawa, situated on the shores of the Ottawa River close to Algonquin Park, the Pembroke Regional Hospital (PRH) delivers a broad range of acute, post-acute, outpatient and diagnostic services to a mixed urban and rural population of approximately 100,000 residents in the Upper Ottawa Valley, and provides an array of diagnostic and specialist services including CT, MRI, anaesthesia, internal medicine, surgery, psychiatry, Ob/Gyn, Orthopedics and an inpatient rehabilitation program. The Hospital’s patient population is a diverse one, and the incumbent will be expected to work to their full scope and potential.
The Pembroke Regional Hospital requires one (1) Physician Assistant. This position is offered on a Permanent Full-Time basis.
In accordance with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario policy on delegation, the Physician Assistant (PA) provides medical care to admitted patients under the Hospitalist Program. Based on mutually agreed upon and established guidelines and medical directives the key functions in this role include providing direct clinical care to patients as indicated under the supervision and delegation of the assigned hospitalist.
This position will provide direct medical care to patients from the point of admission to discharge. The role will include patient interactions in order to complete admission histories and the best possible medication history for patients admitted to Medical, Rehab, Acute Mental Health, and Surgery and comprise of inpatient assessments, patient teaching, ongoing monitoring of patient’s condition and participation in patient care planning. The incumbent will work closely with hospitalists, staff nurses, physiotherapy, occupational therapists, discharge planning and social work services and other members of the care team as needed.
- Canadian Association of Physician Assistants (CAPA) Certificate of Registration in good standing
- Graduate from Physician Assistant Education Programs (e.g., McMaster University and the Consortium of PA Education (University of Toronto in collaboration with the Northern Ontario School of Medicine (NOSM), and The Michener Institute of Education at UHN, or Military PA Program, Canadian Forces Health Services Training Centre).
Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively within the interdisciplinary team
- Excellent organizational skills, and ability to set priorities
- Demonstrated effective critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Knowledge of various computer programs including Microsoft office, word, excel
- Demonstrated knowledge of physician assistant role and practice limitations
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of chronic disease management
- Knowledge of the Public Hospitals Act and its application
- Demonstrated ability to provide leadership to staff, students and members of the health care team
- Demonstrated commitment to continuing education and willingness to actively participate in departmental educational activities
- Must have demonstrated ability to meet the attendance standards of the Hospital
- Bilingualism (French/English)