Do you have a passion for Thrift? Are you motivated, looking for a role with a purpose, and have a desire to make a difference in your local community? We offer a unique way to serve through retail and recycling in support of the second largest social service organization in Canada!
If you are looking to further your career in retail, consider joining our team. We offer a competitive total compensation package including paid sick time, vacation starting at 6% (3 weeks), and employer-paid RRSP contributions with additional voluntary matching opportunities, Health, Dental, EFAP, and LTD benefit opportunities. All within an environment that demonstrates our core competencies of collaboration, communication, composure, and being service focused in everything we do.
As a DRC Shift Supervisor The DRC Shift Supervisor operationally supports the DRC Manager in overseeing daily routine tasks to provide uninterrupted service in various aspects of the Distribution Centre activities. Otherwise, this role acts as a Distribution Centre Worker.
- Perform shipping and receiving of goods.
- Assist in loading and off-loading of trucks using powered equipment as well as manual.
- Operate various types of forklifts to move and store goods in warehouse according to warehouse layout plan (for some DRC).
- Inspect goods received for quality, damage, or expiry (use-by) dates.
- Document, rotate, and store stock appropriately to ensure maximum yield is achieved.
- Sort and categorize food and non-food items.
- Accurately count and weigh product being delivered or shipped.
- Assist with inventory reconciliation (cycle counting).
- Use warehouse management system, inventory management system to record, facilitate warehouse operations.
- Perform general cleaning and maintenance tasks of warehouse, yard, and equipment as required.
- Provide excellent service to guests and donors.
- Act as a Team Lead/Working Supervisor for Distribution Associates only in the absence of the Distribution Manager.
- May be required to show some operations and provide on-the-job-training to staff.
- Maintain a safe and healthy work environment through compliance with Health & Safety regulations.
- Reports directly to Distribution Manager.
- Direct reports: May occasionally act as a Team Lead/Working Supervisor for Distribution Associates only in the absence of the Distribution Manager.
FINANCIAL AND MATERIALS MANAGEMENT:
- Moderate material responsibility. Responsible for flow of product in/out/through the DRC in the absence of the Distribution Manager.
- Financial: May occasionally handle petite cash.
- Normal warehouse environment.
- Constant physical effort (such as stretching, lifting up to 30 pounds with no assistance, bending, twisting, pushing, standing, and walking).
- Moving of boxes and furniture and will be required to use traditional warehousing equipment (pallet jack, dollies, forklift).
- Frequent exposure to fumes and dust and temperature fluctuations.
- Adherence to established deadlines must be met.
- Frequent amount of interpersonal conflict dealing with guests, donors, vendors, and employees.
- Work is varied with periods of repetitious tasks.
Education and experience Qualifications:
Education, Qualifications and Certifications:
- Completion of some high school.
Experience and Skilled Knowledge Requirements:
- A minimum of two years of experience in a warehouse environment.
Skills and Capabilities:
- Proven interpersonal and communication skills and ability to work in a team environment.
- Licensed forklift operator (for some positions/locations).
- Active Driver’s license and clear driver’s abstract is required.
- Physically capable of lifting/carrying up to 50 lbs on an occasional basis with assistance, 30 lbs on a frequent basis, which includes bending, twisting, pulling, pushing of product.
We provide a passionate fast paced community environment where you will be immersed in our operations and service. You will experience firsthand the impact of our work in our communities.
Competitive compensation including
- Staff discounts
- Employer paid RRSPs starting at 4% of earnings with additional contribution matching opportunities
- Vacation time starting at 6% (3 weeks)
- Paid sick time
- The opportunity to learn new skills, job advancement, and recognition programs
- Employee and Family Assistance Plan
- Long term disability coverage
You can expect
- To join a hands-on work environment where you will be required to physically move through our operation while adhering to daily goals.
As part of our ongoing commitment to ensuring a safe and healthy work environment for all of our employees, CSA approved footwear is required for all Retail and DRC positions within NRO.
In the subject line please identify the position being applied for.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Salvation Army Thrift Store - National Recycling Operations (NRO) supports the mission of the Salvation Army by generating funds and influencing positively the communities in which it operates. As part of one of Canada’s largest national charitable organizations, we adhere to the core values of Hope, Service, Dignity and Stewardship. By working with us, you help support The Salvation Army’s programs, services and emergency relief efforts by recycling and selling donated goods.
The Salvation Army will accommodate candidates as required under applicable human rights legislation. If you require a disability-related accommodation during this process, please inform us of your requirements.
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- Store discount
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Weekends as needed
Work Location: In person