Get to know us!
We’re a small start-up turned global leader in the marine software space, now serving many of the world’s largest maritime companies worldwide.
Our team believes in a culture of delivery, focused on creating success for our customers and employees, and we’re always looking for talented people who want to make an impact and have fun doing it.
We’re proud to have built a company with global reach while still staying true to our small company roots and values. We live and work centrally from Victoria, BC but operate globally with staff in leading cities around the world.
Make your impact with a rapidly growing Marine Software business!
A quick summary of the role:
We’re looking for a new team member to join us as an HR Associate to help support the growing team at Helm Operations. You will be an integral part of the team and support our Talent Acquisition needs as well as help execute HR Strategic initiatives. You will play a key role in support of a variety of programs/ projects. The work that you will be supporting with is directly related to the business strategy and employee engagement.
The business places huge focus on investing in its people and value add people activity so there are limited ER issues but plenty of opportunities to influence and drive engagement, attract, develop, recognize and retain our talented people. If this is something that interests you, please read on to find out more about what you would be doing in the role.
This role is open to remote candidates in Canada.
This is a 4-6 months contract role with the possibility of becoming permanent.
We'd love to chat if you:
- Have 1-2 years HR Administration experience
- Are a self-starter and have demonstrated a 'can-do' attitude
- Are interested in learning about the HR life cycle; including recruiting, onboarding, benefits administration, policies & procedures, employee engagement and offboarding.
- Have excellent written, verbal and interpersonal skills
- Are able to work in a remote and virtual environment
- Are willing to learn and develop; open to receiving coaching
- Have strong working knowledge of MS office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Experience with HR programs/ software would be an asset
Who are you (soft skills):
- You enjoy working with people
- You want to learn, grow and develop
- Are always looking for learning opportunities
- Trustworthy and professional are important values to you as you will be dealing with confidential information
- You have strong organizational skills and can prioritize effectively
- You have excellent time management skills
- Able to work independently and complete tasks with high quality, but unafraid to seek out assistance when required
- You are a creative problem solver who enjoys generating and sharing great ideas to drive the HR strategy and vision
- Have strong attention to detail and are deadline oriented
How you will be spending your days:
- Being the first point of contact for all of our People Leaders and our People alike for all people related queries
- Supporting our talent acquisition initiatives by assisting with the recruitment process including job postings, managing applicants, working with the hiring managers as required.
- Taking the lead role in managing the administration and end to end processes of the employee lifecycle from onboarding to offboarding and everything in between
- Assist with benefit administration of employees
- Support head of HR with updating and maintain HR policies and employee handbook
- Assist with employee engagement activities
- Key user of our HRIS System - Workday
- Support head of HR with other projects as required
- Support Helm’s culture of teamwork, approachability, accountability and determination and participate in company events, when possible.
Grow your career with us and beyond.
What technologies you will be working with:
- Workday, Confluence, Slack, MS Office 365
What it's like to work at Helm Operations
First and foremost, we value diversity, equity and inclusion. Together we all create a unique combination of backgrounds, experiences, and cultures. We have various interest slack channels around books, plants, skincare, furry friends, tv shows, you name it. Whatever your quirk is, you will feel at home here.
Secondly, we believe flexibility allows us to bring our best selves to work. We trust each other to get our job done on our own terms. We currently have 60 colleagues working remotely from Canada, Brazil, Peru, Spain, India and Poland.
And as much as we value connection at work, we also believe in work/life balance.
People here love being their authentic selves, contributing unique experiences, sharing ideas, perspectives, and intellectual curiosity. We’d love for you to join us.
Work from home. Work from here. Work from anywhere.
*Research has shown that women & under-represented minorities read lists of requirements and consider themselves unqualified if they don’t meet every single one. This list represents what we are ideally looking for, but we encourage you to apply even if you don't meet everything 100%. Everyone has unique strengths & weaknesses, and we hire for strengths and potential.*
Helm is proudly an Equal Opportunity Employer where everyone is welcome. Everyone brings a different personal story and perspective, and this diverse mix of minds, backgrounds, and experiences is where our greatest ideas come from. We welcome people of all races, ethnicities, ages, religions, abilities, genders, and sexual orientations to make us an even more vibrant company. We want everyone to bring their authentic selves here, to share our values, shape our vision, drive innovation, and become part of a culture we celebrate every day.
While we thank all candidates who apply, we will be reaching out to candidates who meet the hiring manager’s requirements on their resume.
Job Types: Full-time, Fixed term contract
Contract length: 6 months
Salary: $50,000.00 per year
- Casual dress
- Company events
- Flexible schedule
- Work from home
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
Supplemental pay types:
- Are you comfortable with the salary posted in the job description?
- This is a contract role with possibility of perm. Are you open to a contract role?
- Bachelor's Degree (preferred)
- Human resources: 1 year (required)
Work Location: In person