Transport Canada - Marine Safety and Security
Lewisporte (Newfoundland and Labrador)
$61,154 to $66,206
For further information on the organization, please visit Transport Canada
Interested in some tips on how to apply for this job? Check out this video! Cracking the code
Closing date: 24 September 2023 - 23:59, Pacific Time
Who can apply:
Persons residing in Canada, and Canadian citizens and Permanent residents abroad.
We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please use the Contact information below to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
It is the responsibility of the candidate to clearly outline that they meet each of the screening criteria (i.e. , ). Please note that it is not sufficient to only state that the requirement is met or to provide a listing of current responsibilities, rather the candidate must provide concrete examples that illustrate how they meet the requirement. Failure to do so could result in the application being rejected from the process. Please see the following example of a screened out vs. screened in response.
: Experience using various computer software from the Microsoft suite (at a minimum: Word, Excel, AND Outlook).
❌ : Yes, I have experience using the Microsoft Suite. See my résumé.
✅ : I have over 14 years of experience working with MS Office Suite software: Outlook, Word, Power Point, and Excel. During my college education as a Legal Administrative Assistant it was imperative that I maintain over an 80% average in all MS Office programs, and I maintained over a 95% average in all programs.
During my work experience as a Position A, Position B, and Position C, I used MS Word daily to draft various documents, letters, and memos to staff members and clientele. I used MS Excel daily to update all product orders to clients within the industry, and maintained an accurate parts inventory. In Position C at Company X, I used Excel create a budget spreadsheet, track expenses and create monthly summary reports and graphs. In all the previously listed positions, I used MS Outlook daily to write emails, and send documents to staff members, clientele, and taxpayers in addition to the calendar function to schedule internal and external meetings, organizing my tasks, etc.
As a Position D with Company Y, I use MS word to create posters, flyers, questionnaires, and invitations to clientele and team members. I use MS Excel to create and maintain an accurate accounting system for accounts payables, receivables, incomes, and expenses.
- The screening questions will be used as the primary tool in the screening process. The résumé may be used to substantiate the information provided. The board members cannot make any assumptions about the candidate's experience and will not contact candidates for additional, or potentially missing information. Please note your ability to communicate effectively in writing may be assessed via the application.
- Please carefully read the " " section of this advertisement as there is important information regarding your application.
✅ Providing client services in person, on the phone and electronically;
✅ Generating and maintaining paper and electronic vessel and candidate files;
✅ Preparing financial reports and adhering to reporting timelines relating to forecasting and budgeting;
✅ Processing invoices related to service delivery and tracking aged receivables;
✅ Managing the examination centre for candidates;
✅ Managing the office vehicle fleet in compliance with regional guidelines;
✅ Managing, tracking and acquiring office equipment, assets and inventory;
✅ Generating and submitting quarterly and annual reports;
✅ Liaising with Public Services and Procurement Canada with regards to the maintenance of the workplace.
Apply today for an opportunity to join Transport Canada. We are looking for dynamic candidates that will help shape and build the Transport Canada of tomorrow. The persons selected will have the opportunity to increase their experience and expertise. We look forward to hearing from you!
Transport Canada employs over 6,000 talented and motivated employees working in the Atlantic, Quebec, Ontario, Prairie and Northern, Pacific regions, and at our Ottawa Headquarters. We develop policies and enforces Acts and regulations that support transportation efficiency, safety, security, environmental responsibility, and align with global standards. Our vision is of a safe, secure, green, innovative and integrated transportation system that supports trade and economic growth, a cleaner environment and the well-being of Canada's middle class. Our transportation agenda thrives to adopt new ways of thinking about how we deliver services and oversee the transportation system.
We are an employer that fosters employee well-being, provides an open and respectful workplace, competitive benefits and flexible work schedules that promote work-life balance.
Transport Canada believes that to be able to effectively serve the public, its workforce needs to reflect the diversity of the Canadian population. The Department is committed to a representative workforce that represents the Canadian public we serve. If you are an Indigenous person, a person with a disability, a member of a racialized group* and/or a woman and are interested in bringing in different perspectives and insights we encourage you to self-declare in this staffing process. This self-declaration information can be factored into departmental strategies and selection decisions to address our commitment to eliminate gaps for these groups.
- Please note that this group is currently designated as members of visible minorities in the Employment Equity Act and the self-declaration form.
The current need is to staff a full-time permanent English Essential position in Lewisporte (Newfoundland and Labrador).
A pool of qualified and/or partially qualified candidates may be established and may be used to staff similar or identical positions with various tenures (type and duration) at Transport Canada.
Positions to be filled: 1
. Diploma or degree from a recognized post-secondary institution.
. Experience providing administrative support services*.
. Experience in providing service to clients by telephone, in person or in writing.
. Experience using word processing AND spreadsheet software program.
- Administrative support services is defined as, but not limited to: managing agendas, scheduling and organizing meetings/teleconferences, preparing and collating meeting file folders and background materials, procuring office equipment and supplies, maintaining a filing system, data entry, booking travel arrangements, minutes taking, and other related duties.
. Diploma or degree from a recognized post-secondary institution with a specialization in a field relevant to the work to be performed. (e.g., office management, office administration).
. Experience with corporate data systems.
Information on language requirements
. Ability to use a variety of computer software programs such as Microsoft Word and Excel
. Ability to communicate effectively orally
. Ability to communicate effectively in writing
. Reasoning skills
. Attention to detail
. Effective interpersonal skills
. Client service focused
Reliability Status security clearance
- Being willing and able to occasionally travel
- Possession of a valid driver’s licence
The Public Service of Canada is committed to building a skilled and diverse workforce that reflects the Canadians we serve. We promote employment equity and encourage you to indicate if you belong to one of the designated groups when you apply.
Information on employment equity
- For this selection process, our intention is to communicate with applicants by - for screening/assessment purposes (including issuing screening results and sending invitations for written tests and interviews). - . It is the candidate's responsibility to ensure that this address is functional and that it accepts messages from unknown users (some e-mail systems block these types of e-mails). It is recommended to include an alternate e-mail address in your profile. It is also the candidate's responsibility to ensure accurate information is provided and updated as required.
- Your application and your answers to the screening questions may be used to assess your ability to communicate effectively in writing.
- Persons are entitled to participate in the appointment process in the official language of their choice. Please indicate your preferred official language in your application.
- Persons who cannot apply online or persons with disabilities preventing them from applying online are asked to inform the contact person responsible for this process prior to the closing date.
Preference will be given to veterans first and then to Canadian citizens and permanent residents, with the exception of a job located in Nunavut, where Nunavut Inuit will be appointed first.
Information on the preference to veterans
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.