Title : Automation Technician
Reports to : Plant Manager
Department : Production Description of Position:
Ensures that Automated Assembly Lines and equipment are maintained and operated to ensure it is always in a good state of repair to deliver quality product, with high efficiency. Ensures the smooth running of the plants through and with a team of assembly assistants.
This position requires hands-on experience in the setup, maintenance, repair, and operation of:
· PLCs, interfaces with HMI and systems and services
· Electrical and electronic equipment
· Mechanical drive systems: Pneumatics, VSD drives, servo motors
Ensure assembly line and production team meet operational and quality requirements safely.
The position is based at BME Mining Canada’s Nairn Centre manufacturing facility.
This position requires full time service and availability on the plant shop floor. The successful candidate will be required to work shifts, perform standby duties, and work overtime as and when required.
The successful candidate will be responsible to oversee automated production operations on multiple lines and coordinate assembly assistant’s duties. BME Mining Canada operates in a commercial explosives assembly environment, thus this person has a leading operational role in ensuring all safety requirements are met and maintained at all times.
Ensure the safe and efficient operation of multiple automated assembly lines by:
· Setting up the automated lines to perform at an optimal level.
· Maintaining the automated lines in accordance with operational requirements and OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) specifications.
· Liaise with OEM and qualified and approved service providers as and when required to optimize automation control systems.
· Immediate response to attend to and resolve breakdowns or line upset conditions.
· Responsible to identify and resolve causes of deviations, operational failures, and inefficiencies.
· To physically operate the machines as and when required.
· Overseeing duties and activities of the production team, including assembly assistants.
· Train coach and develop assembly assistants.
· To ensure and guarantee that only fully trained and competent assistants are allowed to perform duties on the plant.
· Execute predictive and preventive maintenance on automation equipment and systems including, but not limited to, PLC/DCS control systems hardware and software, HMI, operating systems, servers, and instrumentation.
· Daily reporting on operational performance against agreed KPAs.
· Conduct routine performance analyses and diagnostic checks on automated systems, to ensure optimal performance of the line and determine additional interventions or corrective actions required.
· Ensure equipment, spares and material required have been released and are available for production on time and in full.
· Ensures all material supplied to the automated process meets the minimum quality specifications prior to issuing to the plant
· Ensures all products produced and released for distribution meets minimum quality standards and specifications.
· Ensure that the plant is started and shut down safely and correctly, following correct start-up and shut down procedures.
· Understand the hazards associated with handling hazardous and energetic materials and ensure the safe handling of these materials in the plant.
· Ensure compliance to work permit (clearance) and lock-out procedures.
· Ensure compliance to change management procedures
· Ensure compliance with explosives licence and (or permit) conditions.
· Assumes roll, duties, and responsibilities, of the most senior and responsible person after hours and on shift.
· Ensure compliance with manufacturing and explosives regulations.
· Ensure compliance with internal maintenance and engineering standards.
· Understand the key elements that support productivity and ensure that these elements are applied in the plant.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
· Proven fault finding and trouble shooting skills in the automation environment
· Ability to communicate technical detail with OEM and service providers and management
· Minimum of 3 years hands-on maintenance experience on automated assembly processes
· Qualified electrician, millwright, or mechatronic technician
· Working knowledge of maintaining, setting up, operating robotics, hydraulics, pneumatics, programmable logic controllers, electrical circuits, electrical machinery, and human-machine interfaces
· The incumbent is expected to be proficient with various instruments, diagnostic tools, instruments, and hand tools that are used in automated assembly and testing lines
· Working knowledge of production and quality control principles
· Ability to interpret, analyze and use complex technical data and error or warning messages
· Ability to reference and interpret technical operating manuals, specifications drawings and diagrams
· Ability to organize and prioritize tasks and consistently meet deadlines and schedules
· Ability to grasp application and functioning of new technology
· Able to respond positively to changing requirements and pressures
· Physically fit and energetic with sober habits
· No criminal record
· Working knowledge and understanding of software, programming interfaces
· Proven supervisory leadership
· Formal certificate in automation technology or mechatronics
How to Apply
Please forward resume and cover letter to the addresses below:
By Email or by mail
· BME Mining Canada Inc. 2736 Belisle Drive
Val Caron, ON P3N 1B3
Attn: Neil Alberts
· Please submit resume prior to January 2nd, 2022
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
Salary: $25.00-$35.00 per hour
Flexible Language Requirement:
Supplemental pay types:
- AEC / DEP or Skilled Trade Certificate (preferred)
- Automated assembly process: 3 years (preferred)
- Day Shift (preferred)
- Night Shift (preferred)
- Overnight Shift (preferred)
Work Location: In person
Application deadline: 2023-10-01