Truck Drivers will operate a tractor-trailer combination or a truck with a capacity of at least 26,000 GVW, to transport and deliver Meridian products. May be required to load and unload truck. Truck Drivers require commercial drivers' license.
Truck drivers work in the cab of the truck while driving, and outside when needed to load or unload. They can encounter all kinds of road, weather and traffic conditions. Truck drivers generally work without direct supervision. The number of hours a driver may drive in a given period is subject to regulation. Drivers will be home and weekends and provided with Hotels on multi day trips.
- Customer Service
- Time Management
- Development and Continual Learning
- Problem Solving
- Accountability and Dependability
- Decision making and Judgement
- Operating Equipment
- Planning and Organizing
- Mathematical Reasoning
- Following Laws, Rules and Regulations
- Team Work
- Oversee cargo handling and secure loads, including equipment preparation, application of safe practices, compliance with applicable Acts and regulations
- Perform trip inspections on equipment operated and load, ensuring safety and road-worthiness
- Comply with applicable legislation including safe operation, carriage of goods, driver's hours of service, occupational health and safety, transportation of dangerous goods, customs and immigration and weights and dimensions, and oversize permits.
- Maneuver trucks into loading or unloading positions, following signals from loading crew as needed; check that vehicle position is correct and any special loading equipment is properly positioned.
- Check vehicles before driving them to ensure that mechanical, safety, and emergency equipment is in good working order.
- Report vehicle defects, accidents, traffic violations, or damage to the vehicles.
- Check all load-related documentation to ensure that it is complete and accurate.
- Operate equipment such as truck cab computers, CB radios, and telephones to exchange necessary information with bases, supervisors, or other drivers and pilot drivers.
- Maintain logs of working hours and of vehicle service and repair status, following applicable state and federal regulations.
- Record and maintain required documentation including driver logbook, bills of lading, etc. by manual or electronic means
- Communicate effectively with the public, customers, and co-workers both verbally and in written form
- Assist in loading and unloading of trucks
- Perform periodic inspections before, during, and after delivery to ensure that load is properly fastened down and is secure
- Ensure that material is properly protected from the outdoor elements
- Deliver to product and proper paperwork to our customers in a courteous and timely manner
- Ensure that any debris caused by the loading/unloading of truck is cleaned up
- Provide feedback to supervision regarding customer problems, mechanical problems, or delivery problems
- Maintain trucks overall service and perform required inspections
- Complete all necessary paperwork at the end of the shift. May include, but not limited to, daily logs, inspection logs, delivery receipts, vehicle inspection, hours of service, etc.
- Train others when required
- High School Diploma, GED or equivalent
- Class 1 driver’s license
- Air brake endorsement
- Minimum two (2) years driving experience in Canada
- Oversize load experience an asset
- Long combination vehicle training an asset
- Clean Driver’s Abstract
- Computer Literate
- Strong mechanical aptitude
- Strong oral and written communication abilities
- Exceptional organizational abilities with task prioritization, use of timelines and time management techniques
- High level of personal integrity
- Strong work ethic
- Professional/mature demeanor under stressful situations
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Confident, consistent decisive personality
- Must be able to work with little supervision; must be self-directed
- Travel required
- Will be required to work both indoors and outdoors
- Overtime as required
- Weekend work may be required
- Ability to lift 50lbs