*MUST HAVE Health Care Aid certificate and MUST be willing to work in COVID positive units.
A premier Park Place care residence located in the community of Edmonton AB, Sprucewood Place offers both Independent Living and Designated Supportive Living (DSL), including specialized suites for mental rehabilitation residents and adults with special disability requirements. Recognized for its inclusive care services and close proximity to Royal Alexandra Hospital, Glenrose Rehabilitation Hospital and downtown Edmonton, Sprucewood Place Housing Community combines unique social events with the comfort and services that provide a cozy and welcoming environment to call home.
We are currently looking to expand our casual pool of HCA's. If you are looking for a new and exciting opportunity please apply today!
Under the direction and supervision of the LPN Team Leader, the Mental Health Aide (MHA) is responsible for assisting Residents to maintain their general wellbeing and promote independence by providing support with daily living, household chores and social needs. The MHA will assist Residents with personal care, housekeeping services, dietary needs and social activities as required. The MHA will demonstrate an ongoing willingness to comply with program changes necessary to meet Resident needs and will consistently demonstrate support of PPSL Policies & Procedures and conduct themselves in a professional manner in all situations. This is an A.U.P.E unionized position.
- Graduation from a recognized Health Care Aide program or Mental Health Aide Certificate or equivalent.
- Must have Alberta HCA Directory
- Clear criminal record security clearance with Vulnerable Sector included (no more than 6 months old)
- Must be physically fit to perform lifting and transferring and able to be on your feet for long periods of time
- Appropriately dressed – nursing uniform
- Effective written and oral communication skills in the English language
- Must be able to work independently, and as part of the interdisciplinary team
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides safe and competent care within scope of practice. Provides care by following the policies, procedures and the standards of care for the Care Services Department. Utilizes proper body mechanics. Performs lifts and transfers as indicated by the Residents Integrated Care Plan. Provides for the safety and well-being of the Resident. Applies Universal precautions.
- Provides personal care to residents including assisting the resident with bathing, dressing, care of skin and hair; changing beds; assisting with toilet needs; and overseeing resident exercise routines. Recognizes changes in Resident Health status and reports changes in Resident health status to LPN Team Leader and documents appropriately.
- Following individualized resident lift and transfer assessment, safely lifts, transfers and/or positions residents to provide and maintain good body alignment and comfort. Assists residents with ambulation as needed.
- Demonstrates awareness of PPSL policies and procedures, guidelines and protocols.
- Deliver prepackaged medication to Residents as outlined in the current medication assistance policy and procedures. Maintains all rights of medication assistance. Delivers only prepackaged routine medications. Never administers medication poured by another Staff member. Reports any medication errors to the LPN Team Leader and completes required documentation immediately.
- Puts Integrated Resident Care Plan into action. Performs nursing care as outlined in the Integrated Resident’s Care Plan; ambulating, transfers, dressing, toileting, bathing, delegated health services and porters Residents to activities as needed. Assist Residents with oxygen therapy. Observes the condition, behaviors, and activities of all Residents and reports changes and concerns to the LPN Team Leader and documents appropriately. Assists with any social activities.
- Provides input in the evaluation of Resident care. Reports effectiveness of Resident care to the LPN Team Leader / Resident Care Manager. Reinforces teaching to the Resident and families, caregivers and other Staff. Reports pertinent information promptly. Documents appropriately. Assists with orientation of new Staff and job mentoring as requested. Maintains dignity and respect in all communication.
- Assists in maintaining a clean, comfortable and home-like environment for Residents. Washes and cleans equipment and supplies as required and returns same to appropriate place. Provide light housekeeping to Residents such as making beds, cleaning bathrooms, washing floors, garbage removal, etc. Light building cleaning – cleaning common areas such as dining room, recreation area and hallways etc. Launder and put away clothes for Residents.
- Assists residents with meals by serving and collecting meal trays and feeding designated residents. Assist with minor food preparation and delivery of meals and snacks to Resident at designated times.
- Socialize with Residents in both individual and group settings. Assist and initiate social activities as provided by the Recreation Manager.
- Maintains a safe work environment. Removes unsafe equipment from department. Completes maintenance requisition for non-functioning equipment. Participates in Occupational Health & Safety programs. Adheres to safe work practices and procedures and requirements.
- Works efficiently. Completes assignment in a reasonable time frame. Responsible for efficient use of time, supplies, equipment and other resources.
- Respects Resident’s and families choices. Offers and honors the Resident’s and Family’s choices in all areas of care.
- Demonstrates an ethical approach to Resident care and uses tact, diplomacy, and courtesy in all interactions. Respects the values and beliefs of Residents and families and the right to confidentiality, privacy and dignity. Follows all guidelines for the provision of care and reports otherwise to the LPN Team Leader / Resident Care Manager immediately.
- Maintains confidentiality in all things pertaining to the work environment. Ensures to follow the rules of FOIP and HIA and adheres to Park Place Pledge of Confidentiality. Never discloses personal information regarding Residents, visitors or Staff Members in a public area. Never discloses personal information about Staff to Residents.
- Attends mandatory education and in-services as scheduled. Attends Staff meetings and in-services.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Job Type: Casual
Salary: $21.51-$26.94 per hour
- Casual dress
- On-site parking
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Evening shift
- Monday to Friday
- Night shift
- Weekends as needed
Supplemental pay types:
- Do you currently have a clear criminal record security clearance with Vulnerable Sector from RCMP or Edmonton Police (no more than 6 months old)?
- Secondary School (required)
Work Location: In person