Working within the Education department The Pre-Employment Support Case Worker is responsible for working with clients one-on-one and in small groups to assist them to overcome one or more barriers that are inhibiting their ability to gain employment. Clients will range from 19-24 and 25-49 years of age. The Case Worker will provide education, information and assistance to clients on all aspects of employment, education, training, and life career planning. The Case Worker takes a hands-on approach to assisting their clients in exploring careers and finding employment including building relationships with potential employers. This employment agreement will end March 31, 2024.
What does it take to be successful working in the Education department at Seabird Island? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Organized: Ability to process and organize your meetings, as well as electronic and paper documentation and information.
- Personable: A collaborative attitude, participating in the planning, developing, extending services, and promoting effective strategies to encourage a positive and safe workplace atmosphere.
- Listening Skills: Ability to listen with compassion, empathy, and without judgement to a diverse demographic.
- Communicator: Excellent verbal, written, and listening skills and proven ability to adjust style for various audiences.
- Multitasker: The ability to balance competing priorities, meet deadlines, and to work under pressure with minimal supervision.
WORK THAT MATTERS
Seabird Island Band is a place to learn many skills. We are many nations, but we proclaim one goal to strengthen our pride, our language, our culture and our freedom.
Seabird Island located 1 kilometer from Agassiz, BC on the beautiful Fraser River, 120 km east of Vancouver.
We’re hiring!| Facebook | LinkedIn | For Our Culture
BENEFITS & PERKS
Benefits vary by job type, apply after a successful probationary period and are confirmed in the interview and hiring process.
- Extended health and dental benefits,
- Accrued vacation and sick time,
- Pension plan with matching employer contributions,
- Access to internal training programs, professional development and skill enhancement,
- Collaboration with an interdisciplinary team,
- Equitable hourly rates and
- Casual dress code
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Conduct one-on-one employment counseling and assisting the client to create their Mandatory Action Plan (MAP);
- Interview clients to obtain employment history, educational/training background and career goals.
- Identify barriers to employment and assist clients with job readiness skills, job search strategies, formatting resumes and cover letters, skills development, preparing for job interviews and transition to work.
- Conduct appropriate referrals for clients to secure assistance in drug and alcohol issues, mental health, rehabilitation, financial aid or skills development training.
- Prepare and facilitate skills training workshops.
- Schedule service delivery to participating communities (may require overnight travel);
- Research and collect labor market information for clients.
- Maintain a job bank of clients to refer to casual labor positions within the communities.
- Liaise with local employers to assist with recruiting and maintaining aboriginal employment.
- Market employment and training programs and services and provide outreach assistance.
- Prepare reports for supervisor, manager and funding agencies.
- Assist with typing forms, letters, data entry, and faxing, photocopying, scheduling and confirming appointments.
- Compile and distribute weekly job postings via email or fax to community outreach locations as well as assisting to maintain the daily Job Posting Boards and binder.
- Other duties or responsibilities as assigned by your Supervisor/Manager, Director, or the CAO
WHAT YOU BRING
- Post-secondary education in Career Development and or Job Club, ACEC, Life Skills, or A&D (a combination of education and professional experience will be considered) is required.
- Ability to format and facilitate employment, training and education-related workshop activities;
- Proficient in MS office and other computer applications;
- Ability to balance competing priorities and to work well under pressure to meet regular reporting deadlines;
- Excellent communication skills;
- High standard of professionalism and work ethic.
- Knowledge of collecting and analyzing data, and ability to produce reports.
- Ability to develop and deliver presentations as needed.
- Strong customer service focus and ability to provide services in a prompt, respectful and unbiased manner, in accordance with existing Seabird Island Band policies and procedures.
- Intermediate to Advanced computer skills including Microsoft Office Applications (Word, Excel, Internet, and Outlook).
- Excellent active listening, verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to adhere to Oath of Confidentiality and Seabird Island Band Policies and Procedures.
- Knowledge, respect and understanding of Stó:lō culture, traditions and language is considered an asset.
- Experience working with First Nations community is considered an asset.
- Valid BC Driver’s License, Class 5 and clean Driver's Abstract
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check required.
Reports to: Employment Services Supervisor
- Employment is conditional upon completing pre-employment screening to ensure a safe and secure work environment in which students, staff, members, families, community, as well as resources, and assets are protected. All background checks, reference checks and criminal record checks are performed in accordance with SIB HR Policy, protecting the integrity and confidentiality of information gathered during the evaluation.
Seabird Island is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals. Pursuant to S. 41 of the BC Human Rights code, preference may be given to Applicants of Indigenous, Métis, or Inuit heritage. We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work in Canada; however, we are not able to sponsor visas.
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.