About Olds College of Agriculture & Technology
Founded in 1913, Olds College of Agriculture & Technology has been offering high quality hands-on education for over a century. Through our core programming including continuing education, online and blended programming, we provide accessible educational opportunities within Alberta and beyond. We are passionate about the Agriculture industry. Through our applied research and integrated learning, we are proud to be Canada’s Smart Agriculture College, specializing in agriculture, agrifood, horticulture, land and environmental stewardship. We work closely with industry to advance and adapt our programming to ensure our graduates have the skills to succeed.
The Opportunity - Director, Continuing Education & Corporate Training*
The role of the Director is to contribute to the strategic leadership of the College and to provide operational leadership to the Continuing Education & Corporate Training team in support of Olds College’s strategic plan and social purpose of “Transforming agriculture for a better world”.
The Department of Continuing Education and Corporate Training at Olds College will have a distinct reputation as a hub for lifelong learning, for responding to labour market needs with unique programs and flexible offerings as well as for expanding opportunities for learning and educational innovation. The Department of Continuing Education and Corporate Training has a mandate for building and managing continuing education, corporate training and contract training as well as other strategic programming for the College. In addition to contributing to net revenue generation at Olds College, this is an entrepreneurial department that works actively and collaboratively with both internal College resources and external stakeholders and partners.
The successful candidate has a track record of demonstrating: a deep commitment to expanding educational opportunities in response to industry and labour market demands; a proven record of innovation and growth; a business mindset with a net revenue contribution; stakeholder engagement; development of partnerships and collaborative relationships both internal and external to the organization; and leadership in higher education.
The Director develops and communicates the strategic direction of Continuing Education and Corporate Training, with a focus toward growth and responsiveness to new and emerging training, assessment and educational needs within the province, and country. This position will work closely with leadership in Olds College’s Academic Schools, Olds College’s Industry Solutions Team and with external industry partners to help identify new programming offerings and new product line opportunities and set department level priorities with respect to program/product mix. This position will provide strategic direction for the development of new markets beyond the traditional markets Olds College’s Continuing Education Department currently operates within.
The Director is responsible for the establishment of strategic revenue, expense and contribution targets, providing strategic sales and marketing direction, monitoring activities and results, coaching for performance success, reviewing project and program budgets to ensure viable operations, and managing the maintenance of collaborative and mutually-rewarding partnerships with stakeholders both internal and external to the College. The Director is specifically responsible for achieving an earned net revenue target exceeding $500,000 a year with a plan to grow year over year.
In addition, the Director may carry out other roles and projects as requested by the Vice President, Academic.
Key Job Functions:*
- Creates an integrated vision, strategy and execution plan to realize the full potential of the Continuing Education and Corporate Training Department for the future and in context of the College overall
- Leverages an innovative mindset and an entrepreneurial outlook with the ability to both conceive and implement the Department’s Business Plan in alignment with the College’s strategic plan
- Leads and drives overall coordination and integration of the Department and across the College including; content development and sourcing, instruction modality, service standards, tools and technology and student supports
- Collaborates and inspires colleagues and resources to be a part of executing the vision and demonstrating a service orientation
- Demonstrates an excellent understanding of trends in adult education, upskilling, reskilling and lifelong learning as well as Alberta 2030 and Industry 4.0 / The Future of Work and can articulate the requisite strategies to be continually relevant
- Engages with technology as a tool to bring about innovation and to elevate pedagogy
- Effectively balances academically rigorous and timely programs for rapidly evolving disciplines with growth and expansion opportunities for net revenue activities
Operations and Management
- Employs strong management principles and people leadership in leading, managing and supporting the work of the department
- Ensures operational planning supports the strategic plan as well as the College’s objectives, policies and procedures
- Incorporates risk management, and objective, timely decision making to move processes forward
- Creates an environment open to change and innovation while balancing sensitivity and ability to productively engage with traditional academic governance
- Provides risk management and oversight for programming, program review, product creation and sourcing, costing and delivery
- Responsible and accountable for financial planning, budgeting, reporting, forecasting and management for the Department and in context of the College’s priorities and as a net revenue department
- Prioritizes and realizes the importance of learner / customer experience as a differentiator
- Appreciates responsibly the requirement for strong policy and procedure development, review and implementation
- Acts as a College resource for entrepreneurial activity
- Models dynamic leadership in a complex environment combined with the ability to coordinate, manage, leverage and integrate the efforts of faculty, staff, contractors and partners
- Leads with a collaborative approach that drives engagement, removes silo’s, and focuses energy on collective vision and targets
- Fosters a creative and inclusive environment that encourages high performance and creativity
- Determines and appoints the appropriate staffing mix to fulfill the department mandate
- Uses a planned human resources approach for recruitment, development and performance management
- Operationalizes and interprets the College collective agreements and policies
Business and Partnership Development
- Identifies and responds to government, business, industry and public education needs with high quality programs, courses, training materials and services
- Identifies and proactively engages stakeholders to leverage grants and government funding opportunities as well as general business development initiatives for training and professional development
- Builds new relationships and expands existing partnerships to grow, fund and develop new programs and services
- Develops growth and expansion activities seeking out and securing additional net revenue generating activity and expansion with full accountability for financial results
- Leads as the incubator of program, course or partnership innovation for Olds College and collaborates to help realize the programs of the future for Olds College’s strategic plan
- Sustains and grows the Department of Continuing Education and Corporate Training’s reputation through marketing, profile of our local expertise, industry connections and community involvement
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in a related field (ex: adult education, business management) OR an equivalent combination of post-secondary education and related work experience
- 5-10 years’ experience in a private or public sector environment where there is demonstrated success with public and private partnerships and a strong commitment to collaborative ventures that benefit student learning
- 5-10 years’ experience in a strategic leadership role with demonstrated success in development, delivery, management and administration of net revenue training and consulting products and services in either private or post-secondary environments
- Demonstrated tolerance for ambiguity and reasonable risk taking, and 5-10 years’ progressively responsible leadership experience using a team based approach
- Demonstrated skills in negotiating complex education, training and service contracts with public, private and community organizations
- Demonstrated visionary and strategic leadership with an entrepreneurial and innovative approach
- Demonstrated strategic systems thinking and analytical decision making
- Sound financial and policy management
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, possess impeccable integrity and ethics, engages in self-reflection practice demonstrating a high level of self-awareness
- Demonstration of sound decision making and successfully leading change and transition
- Experience in a post-secondary environment
- Other combinations of education, experience, skills, and knowledge may be considered.
Conditions of Employment:*
- Some work outside of regular College operating hours may be required.
- Current Criminal Reference check that is free of any offenses.
- Must respect and actively promote health and safety policies.
The statements contained in this job description reflect general details as necessary to describe the key job functions of this position, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibility. It is not an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Other duties may be assigned.
Olds College offers a competitive benefit plan:*
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan (LAPP)
- Extended Health, Dental, and Prescription Drugs benefits
- Health/Personal Spending Account
- ‘Olds College in the Community’ volunteer leave
- Professional development and opportunities for growth
Please apply by October 6, 2023.
We thank all individuals for their interest in this position. We appreciate the time involved for candidates in the application process. At this time, please note only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Olds College is committed to an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workplace. We welcome applications from all qualified persons. We encourage applications from women, Indigenous Peoples, racialized persons, persons with disabilities and persons of any sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: From $80,000.00 per year
Work Location: In person