In your role as Category Manager at The North West Company (NWC), you will source, price, and market product to profitably grow the food department gross profit line.
Ready for your opportunity to play a leading role on a team accountable for building fact-based, customer driven category-marketing plans? The Category Manager at The North West Company (NWC), uses sales data, customer research, market data, and industry information to better meet the needs of our unique consumer and to optimize financial performance. As Category Manager you will lead a team to develop, formulate, and execute a strategy and tactics within the context of the overall category strategy, including assortment planning, procurement, merchandising, retail pricing advertising and promotion, as well as assisting in vendor negotiations and supply agreements.
Joining NWC gives you the opportunity for growth and development throughout the company, a competitive salary and benefits package, and to be part of a dynamic and diverse culture.
NWC is a leading retailer to under-served rural communities and urban neighborhood markets in the following regions: Northern Canada, Western Canada, rural Alaska, the South Pacific islands, and the Caribbean. Our stores offer a broad range of products and services with an emphasis on food. Our value offer is to be the best local shopping choice for everyday household and local lifestyle needs. Check out northwest.ca for more information.
Desired Skills & Experience:
- As the Category Manager you are the subject matter expert for your business unit and build plans around product, price, promotion and placement to drive sales and gross profit performance;
- Build strong relationship with suppliers to secure the most favorable terms, costs, product and quality of goods for NWC and our customers;
- Developing a connection to Northern Canada through in-community work experience to create customer-centered business plans;
- Develop strategic marketing plans with measurable objectives that includes advertising, in-store specials and special buys;
- Evaluate market trends and consumer behavior drive category plans, to develop assortment strategies and to evaluate assortment performance;
- Set the initial sales, gross profit, and inventory forecasts used in developing the final operating budget and develop plans to achieve annual budgets; and
- Provide leadership and management of initiatives to the department’s Category Assistant.
- Minimum 5 years’ retail management experience and/or previous purchasing experience;
- Must have a post-secondary education (degree, diploma, or certification) or an equivalent combination of education/training;
- Proficient in MS Office Suite, including Excel;
- Strong analytical skills and financial analysis capabilities;
- Ability to set priorities and manage priorities of the team;
- Strong problem solving skills and the ability to teach and monitor performance;
- Excellent interpersonal and management skills with strong attention to detail; and,
- Ability to effectively manage multiple priorities.
Gibraltar House, 77 Main Street, Winnipeg, Manitoba
Senior Category Manager, Center Store Food
We create a collaborative and constructive culture by:
- Being Enterprising • Committing to our Customer • Working with Passion • Leading and Developing Others • Demonstrating Respect and Inclusivity • Building Trust
The North West Company is committed to inclusion and diversity and encourages applications from all candidates including but not limited to: all religions and ethnicities, LGBTQ2s+, BIPOC, and persons with disabilities.
A competitive salary is being offered along with opportunities to learn, develop and advance throughout the organization. We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
For Internal Applicants Only:
NOTE: Prior to applying, an internal employee MUST
obtain a written endorsement email from their current Manager or Manager – once – removed and provide this to the recruitment team before
they can be considered for opportunities. This position adheres to the Corporate Job Posting Guidelines.