Farrow is a diversified, family-owned business that facilitates international trade by executing comprehensive customs brokerage and integrated logistics solutions. We provide our clients peace of mind with our customs brokerage, shipping, and freight-forwarding capabilities for Canada and the United States.
Farrow prides itself on providing exceptional customs service with a true focus on trade compliance. It is our passion for personalized care that has led to Farrow being in business for over 100 years and has allowed us to constantly expand with 29 locations across North America and we're still growing! We're real people, family-owned and dedicated to our employees with a history of reinvesting in them. This commitment and dedication are why many of our employees have been with us longer than 20 years and why we have been recognized as one of Canada's Best Managed Companies for 10 consecutive years.
The AS/400 Administrator is primarily responsible for managing and supporting all aspects related to the AS/400 system and associated backup and recovery procedures. The successful candidate must be available to work occasional evening and weekend hours and participate in the rotating after-hours on-call support schedule. Some travel will be required.
- Performs software installations and upgrades to operating systems.
- Schedules installations and upgrades and maintains them in accordance with established IT policies and procedures.
- Monitors and tunes the systems to achieve optimum performance levels.
- Ensures data integrity by evaluating, implementing, and managing appropriate software and hardware solutions.
- Ensures recoverability by implementing a schedule of system backups and database archive operations.
- Develops and promotes standard operating procedures; conducts routine hardware and software audits to ensure compliance with established standards and policies and configuration guidelines.
- Develops and maintains a comprehensive operating system hardware and software configuration database/library of all supporting documentation.
- Logs and responds to all system issues, escalating as appropriate. Takes a proactive approach to minimizing production system outages and problems.
- Provides second level support to the Helpdesk and performs a variety of other related duties as assigned
Education and Experience
- Community college diploma or university degree in computer science or a related discipline or equivalent on-the-job experience
- More than 7 years of experience providing AS/400 technical support in an IT environment
- Possess the appropriate industry certifications and training path
- Expert hardware knowledge of all IBM xSeries and Blade Servers and competitors equivalents.
- Experienced in the use of IBM Director and Storage Manager tools.
- Experienced in configuring, maintaining, and troubleshooting IBM SAN.
- Experienced in Backup Exec software; with a working knowledge of server-based backup/recovery tools.
- Knowledge of Batch Scripting.
- Working knowledge of IBM Websphere is desirable.
- Good understanding of Network concepts and infrastructure design
- Linux experience a strong asset
Competencies, Working Skills & Attributes
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Excellent attention to detail, able to make recommendations
- Strong interpersonal skills, able to work independently as well as part of a team
- Tactful and dependable
- Ability to write, prepare, and read reports
Working Conditions, Mental Effort & Physical Requirements
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time
- Ability to focus on computer screen and/or written materials for extended periods of time
- Manual dexterity required to use a desktop computer and peripherals
- Must work under deadlines and related stresses in a timely and efficient manner
- Must be able to professionally handle a variety of situations and troubleshoot as needed
Farrow is an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity and inclusion. Accommodations for job applicants with disabilities are available on request.