Commissioning Agent - ( 23000387 )
Stantec Buildings is on a mission to become the world’s leading integrated design practice. Our architects, engineers, interior designers, sustainability specialists, and technologists are passionate about the power of design. We take an innovative, collaborative approach to projects, sharing a common belief that sustainable design for the built environment can make the world a better place for future generations. Join us and design your place with Stantec.
Our Stantec team in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia has a full-time opportunity for an experienced Commissioning Agent in the Buildings Engineering group. We are seeking someone with 5-years or more experience in commissioning of buildings, who is capable of supporting our Commissioning team, and independently leading the commissioning effort on projects. As a part of our Engineering Consultant team, we are also seeking someone who could support with proposal pursuit efforts.
For both public and private sector clients, our Commissioning team provides unique high-performance oversights on commissioning programs from small scale commercial fit-out projects to billion-dollar state of the art healthcare facilities. We work closely with project teams, including architects, engineers, and contractors, to ensure that all systems and equipment are installed, tested, and functioning properly.
Your role as a Commissioning Agent would require you to oversee and manage the commissioning process on construction projects, from the pre-design phase through to the completion of the warranty period. This role requires you to prepare contract specifications, review design documents, develop commissioning plans, and conduct field observation reports to validate compliance with an Owner’s project requirements. You will also coordinate and facilitate functional performance testing, document any deficiencies, and provide recommendations for corrective actions. Your role as a commissioning agent will play a crucial role in ensuring that the completed project meets the design intent and operates efficiently.
This position warrants periods of travel to job sites. Typically travel is within Atlantic Canada, however specific opportunities may require travel outside of the Atlantic Provinces.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Supporting and participating in a wide variety of building performance engineering projects, including office and on-site project duties.
- Assist in the coordination and implementation of commissioning and performance testing processes and methodologies, this includes capturing and effective recording of project details and findings.
- Review design drawings and specifications and reporting to Clients to verify the proposed design satisfies the Owner’s project requirements.
- Supporting the Performance-Engineering project team in active field reviews, testing, issue capture and issues resolution of mechanical, electrical and automation related technical services within facilities.
- Assist in the development of detailed and concise reports and support documentation with respect to the commissioning process.
- Witnessing and documenting automation controls verifications and sensor calibrations, as well as air and water balancing procedures and balancing results.
- Lead the development of functional performance test scripts based upon project specific sequences of operation for mechanical, electrical and life safety systems.
- Lead the effort with respect to witnessing and documenting functional performance testing of mechanical, electrical and life safety systems.
- Support with commissioning related proposal pursuit efforts.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Able to work independently while managing multiple tasks and ensuring deadlines are met. Have strong technical writing and communication skills.
- Be self-sufficient and self-motivated with strong negotiation skills.
- Open minded attitude towards building a business, seeking new opportunities, professional development.
- Excellent computer skills (i.e., Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat, etc.).
- Basic experience in implementing project schedules (utilizing Microsoft Project, Prima Vera, etc.).
- Have a valid Class 5, driver’s license in Canada.
- Be eligible to apply and receive, PSPC (Public Services and Procurement Canada) security clearance, as a requirement to work on specific government related projects.
- Eligibility to apply for RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) security clearance would be considered an asset.
Education and Experience
- Undergraduate Degree in Engineering, Architecture or Building Science related programs.
- Either have or be eligible and intend to pursue professional designation within field of study.
- Either have or be eligible and intend to pursue at least one Commissioning related certification; e.g. BCA, ASHRAE, NEBB, AABC or equivalents.
- Five (5) or more years’ experience with executing Commissioning Processes.
- Have a proficient understanding of, and experience with troubleshooting mechanical and electrical building systems, as well as building automation/controls systems.
- Have experience with executing tasks related to the Commissioning Process. Must have performed at a minimum the following tasks:
+ Prepared commissioning plans and checklists,
+ Chaired Commissioning Meetings,
+ Performed site observation reports and
+ Witnessed functional performance testing.
- Practiced working knowledge of LEED and related sustainability guidelines and work-flows.
- Considered an asset if you have experience with any of the following:
+ Design, construction and/or testing of fire alarm and fire protection systems,
+ Performing building envelope condition assessment and/or building envelope commissioning,
+ Any currently relevant sustainable design practices, such as energy modelling or audits, daylight calculations, water conservation, etc.,
+ Design with building mechanical systems and electrical systems, and
+ General consulting experience.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best. #DesignYourPlace
Benefits Summary: Regular full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
The benefits information listed above may not apply to union positions because benefits for such positions are governed by applicable collective bargaining agreements.
Primary Location : Canada-Nova Scotia-Dartmouth
Other Locations : Canada-New Brunswick-Fredericton, Canada-New Brunswick-Saint John, Canada-Newfoundland and Labrador-St. John's, Canada-New Brunswick-Moncton
Work Locations :
Organization : BC-1334 Buildings-CA Atlantic Canada
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 25 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Aug 10, 2023, 11:34:44 AM
Req ID: 23000387
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans