Love What You Do
Family is part of Definity, a Canadian, multi-channel, property, and casualty insurance company whose success is founded on our family of companies’ long history of delivering a superior experience for those who count on us. We’re proud to help our customers, broker partners, employees, and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change. Our success in transforming into a digital leader in our industry is driven by a talented and engaged team with a passion for innovation and high performance.
To us, a seamless user experience is as important as the people behind it. That’s why we hire the most service-oriented individuals in BC and empower them with the tools they need to wow both our broker network and their clients. If a vibrant atmosphere with great people and an ambitious culture sound like your kind of fit, apply to join us today.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Family offers a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Leaders partner with their teams to find the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their teams, colleagues, brokers, and customers while ensuring collaboration, teamwork, and accountability for goals.
What can you expect in this role?
Reporting directly to the Quality Engineering (QE) Lead, this position will be responsible for supporting all internal applications as well as participating in the QE project deliverables. This position participates in the call escalation process, providing problem resolution for various system issues. The position also calls for strong QA skills in order to test new production releases and support the overall quality of our systems.
- Generate the necessary reports/statistics relating to the Application Support Team and confirm we are meeting our Service Level Agreements
- Keep abreast of emerging technologies, tools, and methodologies, in order to make recommendations where applicable.
What you bring to the role?
- Provide operational support for our custom-build applications. This includes providing analysis and solving complex problems, including issues that involve multiple software systems.
- Take ownership of issues and engage various team members (both technical and non-technical) as required in order to resolve these issues in a timely manner.
- Develop and maintain data structure knowledge in order to perform functions of role effectively and efficiently, including maintenance of the central repository of metadata (data dictionary).
- Document the call handling processes and procedures, ensuring there is enough detail within each call that we can use that as a “knowledge base” for similar calls moving forward.
- Identify and test any proposed system workaround needed to address an issue.
- Create SQL queries in order to analyze production data and insert or manipulate test data.
- Ability to estimate individual tasks or components and be accountable for deliverables.
- Review and follow a test plan for a particular project and participate in the completion of defined quality assurance tasks. This will include being accountable for individually assigned tasks and escalating any issues encountered.
- Ability to analyze requirements and create a comprehensive set of test cases that you or others will execute.
- Manage defects through the defect lifecycle. This will include performing root cause analysis and writing complete defect information.
- Understand the defined automation strategy and apply it when automating test cases.
- Ability to analyze and solve complex problems, including issues that involve multiple software systems
- An eager attitude to learn and apply knowledge wherever applicable.
- Must have clear and concise written and oral English communication skills.
- Able to take ownership of assignments and work independently.
- Able to multi-task and take on a number of highly detailed projects/defects.
- Able to work both independently and within a team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to handle defects as per the defined SLA.
- Demonstrated positive and customer-first attitude and ability to react appropriately to internal and external customer concerns.
- Excellent Attention to Detail.
- Quick Learner with proven ability to learn and evolve on the job in a quick fashion
- We also take potential into consideration. If you don’t have this exact experience, but you know you have what it takes, be sure to give us more insight through your application and cover letter.
- Working toward certification in a technical field or Quality Assurance (CAST / CSTE / CASQ / CSQE / ISEB / ISTQB, etc.) or equivalent experience.
- 3+ years of testing experience.
- 2+ years experience working with structure query language (SQL), preferably with SQL Server.
- Proven experience working on Agile Framework (Scrum, KANBAN), Waterfall Methodology and Software Development Life Cycle.
- Adaptable and Flexible to changing priorities. Ability to prioritize and manage work in a fast-paced environment and provide quality deliverables while catering to changing business requirements.
- Quick Learner and self-starter who can adapt to evolving business requirements/needs and tight deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and strong communication skills both written and verbal.
- Knowledge of call-tracking tools, defect-tracking tools, test case management tools, preferably footprints, JIRA, and xRay. Ability to set up / maintain/administer these tools as needed.
- Preference will be given to an individual with experience in the Financial Services or Insurance industry.
- Prior experience with Footprints and PowerDesigner would be an asset.
- Prior experience in test automation would be an asset.
- Availability for after-hours product installation support/testing.
Pre-screening tests might be required for some positions.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- Hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Retirement savings program with company-matched RRSP contributions
- Generous time away, including vacation, personal leave, and birthday leave.
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations.
- Competitive salary and benefits, including educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams.
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, access to BIPOC counsellors, access to programs for working parents.
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
You must be legally entitled to work in Canada. Qualified candidates are asked to please submit a cover letter outlining their suitability for this opportunity and a copy of their resume in one document.
We would like to thank all candidates for showing interest in this role and our company; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: [email protected]