Tunneling Department Lead
We are currently seeking a highly motivated and driven Tunnelling Department Lead to join our growing team in the Engineering Division. This is an office and field-based position.
CCI Inc. is a leading multi-disciplinary engineering firm offering services in Pipeline & Facility Engineering, Geotechnical, Construction Management, Environmental, Forestry, Planning & Reclamation, Well pads & Access Roads and Pipeline Integrity. Since 2004, we have established ourselves as experts in Trenchless Technology and Open-Cut pipeline construction methods. We are a driving force in the continuing advancement of trenchless installations.
CCI Core Values
Operate with Integrity
Service With Intention
Commitment, Collaboration, Innovation
As CCI Inc. has been named one of Canada's Best Managed Companies for the tenth year in a row, now is the best time to join our winning team!
Location: Vancouver, Calgary, or Edmonton Office. This role is primarily office based but candidate must have the ability for intermittent travel to various job sites when needed.
This position is responsible for building and promoting the Tunneling Department (A department within the Engineering Division) to clients in the municipal, utility and oil and gas industries. The Tunneling Department’s focus will be centered on servicing highly technical projects, leveraging CCIs industry-leading geotechnical, trenchless engineering and construction management departments. The Tunneling Lead is responsible for managing project teams in the successful completion of all tunneling project deliverables, coordination of project requirements, and supporting clients during construction. The project deliverables include design packages, calculations, construction work packages, cost estimates, and execution plans in accordance with the industry and CCI Inc.’s codes and standards. Projects may range from small-scale microtunnel utility/pipeline upgrade designs to full-scope design-build and construction management support. This is a senior-level position, and the incumbent will work under the direct supervision and guidance of the Vice President of Engineering.
This position requires a self-motivated, safety-conscious individual who takes immense pride in their work. You will have the opportunity to learn from a diverse team of engineering professionals and grow your career in business development.
Summary of Position:
· Grow the tunneling and underground engineering practice in Canada under the direction of the CCI Vice President of Engineering.
· Develop and deliver quality projects reliably, sustainably, and environmentally focused.
· Maintain and enforce high standards for health and safety on all project sites.
· Manage, lead and control projects from start to finish, including staff, and sub-contractors performing staff assignments and job management.
· Contribute to the Department’s Business Development Plan and implementation.
· Participate in the development of strategic plans; build relationships with public and private clients (contractors) and industry leaders.
· Help in establishing and maintaining client relationships.
· Identify, attract, and assist in recruiting additional tunneling staff in Canada.
· Position as department lead on tunnel and underground engineering projects; perform the technical work and deliver the project on time, on budget and to the required quality.
· Develop and collaborate on budgets for tunnel designs, methodologies, submittals, and schedules.
· Coach and mentor team members to foster CCI corporate culture.
· A firm understanding of complex trenchless systems and clearly articulate needs, issues, and production concerns.
· Collaborate with the Engineers about expertise to recommend design concepts, solutions, and methodologies.
· Participate in the development of pursuit strategies, technical concepts, and proposal technical approaches.
· Attend industry events, serve on panels, and publish to foster CCI’s tunneling and underground engineering practice.
· When onsite, act as the client’s representative in a professional manner
· Review, monitor and report all applicable contract documents, codes, standards, and legislation that apply to the scope of work and, specifically the task being executed
· Ideally 20+ years' experience in trenchless projects.
· Leadership experience and Leadership characteristics.
· Management of both engineering and construction experience is preferred.
· Preference for a candidate with an Engineering or Engineering Technologist background.
· Membership with relevant professional organizations and active participation in National or international tunneling and/or geotechnical associations.
· Thoroughly knowledgeable of various tunneling methods and techniques, geotechnical aspects, deep cuts, and difficult ground conditions.
· Excellent communication and presentation skills.
· Strategic thinker with demonstrated collaboration skills and the ability to work effectively in a team environment and gain the support of others.
· Experience related directly to trenchless techniques such as tunneling, micro tunneling, directional drilling, pipe jacking, and auger bore are considered an asset.
· Project experience and relations with municipal and pipeline infrastructure operators are considered an asset.
· An excellent team player, able to work within a multi-disciplinary team environment with a positive attitude.
· Detail oriented, meticulous, and have strong organizational skills.
· CCI has an industry-competitive, extended health, wellness, and benefits plan.
· CCI offers RRSP matching and long-term employee retention programs.
· CCI supports our employees with professional training and development opportunities and payment of professional dues.
· CCI pays for all travel and accommodations, including per-diem, while away from home
· Flexible work environment with opportunities to advance your career within CCI’s Group of Companies.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please submit your resume to [email protected]
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- Tuition reimbursement
- Wellness program
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Edmonton, AB T5S 2W3: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Do you have a Membership with relevant professional organizations and active participation in National or international tunneling and/or geotechnical associations?
- Do you have experience with managing both Engineering and Construction teams?
- What is your experience directly related to trenchless techniques such as tunneling, micro tunneling, directional drilling, pipe jacking and with auger bores.
- How many years of Experience with Trenchless Projects do you have ?
Work Location: In person