Role At A Glance
In the Energy and Carbon Solutions (ECS) team, we base project success on the value and experience our clients have obtained through the project journey. We understand the impact we can have on our clients and global community is long-term, and we take that to heart. In alignment with our core value of environmental sustainability, we are passionate about the opportunities we uncover and are always proud to see each of our projects implemented. ECS was founded on the principles of understanding our clients, developing practical solutions to achieve desired energy and greenhouse gas outcomes, and supporting through implementation. We see ourselves as primary drivers to supporting the parallel global climate goal initiatives and economic growth.
Our primary service offerings in ECS include but are not limited to:
- Energy and GHG Feasibility Studies
- Energy and GHG Audits
- Energy and GHG Planning
- Economic and Financial Analysis
- Sustainable Project Consultant (ex. CaGBC Zero Carbon)
- Measurement and Verification
- Energy and Carbon Modeling
Reporting to the Energy and Carbon Solutions Team Leader, The ECS Engineering Intern will work under the supervision of the Intermediate and Senior Engineers within the ECS team. The ECS Engineering Intern will follow ASHRAE, NECB, CaGBC, PassiveHouse, IPMVP, and other relevant guidelines to complete building energy audits, engineering feasibility studies, energy modelling, measurement and verification reports, and detailed engineering studies in addition to developing in this exciting and growing business sector.
You’ll Love This Role If
- Your are passionate about creative solutions to reduce energy consumption and carbon emissions
- You sweat the details in your commitment to meet our client’s high expectations
- You embrace progressive change, out-of-the-box thinking, and working in a high-energy environment
- You are proactive, constant, and consistent with your communication to both our client and our project team
What You Will Do
- Preliminary analysis of utility data
- Benchmarking against similar facilities
- Site investigation and survey
- Interviewing operational staff
- Auditing the operating procedures for the existing mechanical and electrical equipment (with a focus on HVAC)
- Analyzing and modelling the current operation of equipment, proposed energy and carbon conservation measures, through use of engineering calculations and energy modelling software
- Energy and carbon modelling (both embodied and operational) whole buildings in compliance with CaGBC Zero Carbon, Toronto Green Standard, and other relevant standards
- Assessing where and how energy is consumed throughout a facility
- Installing monitoring equipment to collect energy consumption data
- Investigating alternative energy saving opportunities and capital projects
- Analyzing the economic viability of more capital-intensive measures
- Generating graphics and tables for our report submissions
- Preliminary drafting of reports
What You Bring to the Table
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering or Sustainability
- Registration with the Ontario Engineering Society and eligible for P.Eng. designation
- Previous experience with an engineering consulting firm is an asset
- Familiarity with building codes and low carbon standards (e.g. CaGBC Zero Carbon, PassiveHouse, etc.) is an asset
- Working knowledge of MS Excel
- Working knowledge of energy modelling, heat transfer, fluid mechanics and thermodynamics is essential
Life at WalterFedy
We are a people-first organization that embraces a hybrid work strategy. This approach gives our team the autonomy and flexibility to choose what work environment mix is best for them based on their role, team, clients, and personal needs.
As an innovative multi-discipline design and construction collective, our ambition goes beyond great design – we are here to enhance the world around us. To make it happen, we need a team of agile, ambitious, and big-picture thinkers who share our drive to harness our collective talents to do something bigger.
Our team is made up of the industry's best. We share a common commitment to questioning the ordinary, infusing everything we do with creativity, and challenging our industry to redefine what’s possible.
Join us as we move past working for a living, and toward building better communities with smart, influential design.
How to Apply
WalterFedy strives to create a culture of inclusivity and diversity. We strongly encourage applications from all qualified individuals, including those from groups traditionally underrepresented in the workforce. We are committed to equal opportunity hiring practice and will not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, creed, national origin, citizenship, status, age, sex, gender identity/expression, marital or domestic partnership status, or disability.
Should you require any accommodation to participate in the application process, please contact [email protected]
or call 519-576-2150.
Thank you for your interest in WalterFedy!